PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft going too far?

Altair661
08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
*SPOLIERS* The other day me and my friend were disscussing who would be an Assassin/Templar in history. Then he brought up a valid point that, ubisoft has almost including every conflict there's been with a POE or templar interaction. Starting from ancient times up to the Revolution and Ghandi! I mean seriously, i understand the whole concept of the history has been writen by the templars and its not the truth (hence "The Truth") but really? Are they saying that pretty much everything that has happened on Earth was not just, normal I suppose the word is? (This is all within their universe, I dont think this stuff happens in real life) I disagree with my friend thinks that Ubisoft has gonna kinda far and has opened it up more than they can handle. Almost like they just look through a history textbook and just pick stuff out to mess with. There's no way all of this can be tied to the main storyline given. Like how is Ghandi using a POE supposed to affect the story in anyway all the way in 2012.

And another thing, so far Ezio and Altair are the only ones we've seen who are assassin's to use the apple, whether to kill or to learn. Or both. But whenever you see the Templars (ex. Al Muliam, Rodrigo) they use to apple for their own use to harm others, or control their minds, you know what I mean. So when they show people like George Washington having the apple, does that mean he's an assassin or templar? You would think he would be on the assassin side, because they are the revolition against the British. But we've never seen someone on the good side use the apple like this is combat or a war. (Besides the sequence in ACB) but we always see Templars using it in those ways. So I just wonder what this means. If they have the apple does that put them on the teplar, or assasin side. Or neither. Im not sure. Because if im not mistaken Nikolia Tesla had the apple at one point did he not? Or some type of POE. And isnt he a templar? THis is all very confusing...which is why I start to think Ubisoft is going to far by including everything we know into the Assassin Templar conflict...

But AC still is awesome either way!

Chamboozer
08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree, the sections of the game that explain the history of the assassin and templar orders and the PoE's are a bit of a laughing stock, the idea that this struggle affected such a large number of historical events is definately immersion breaking. But it's also kinda entertaining.

Jexx21
08-17-2011, 06:05 PM
if you look it up on the wiki it explains that there were neutral holders of the artifacts.

George Washington was not a Templar, Ghandi wasn't a Templar. (they weren't assassin's either) but they had apples.

Prince_Raven
08-17-2011, 06:41 PM
There were lots of figures that had POEs that weren't Assassins or Templars. As for Nikola Tesla, he was backed by the Assassins, but not an Assassin himself; while Thomas Edison was a Templar.

thekyle0
08-17-2011, 07:54 PM
I disagree with my friend thinks that Ubisoft has gonna kinda far and has opened it up more than they can handle. Almost like they just look through a history textbook and just pick stuff out to mess with. More specifically, they look through wikipedia to do that.

There's no way all of this can be tied to the main storyline given. Like how is Ghandi using a POE supposed to affect the story in anyway all the way in 2012. True, unless you consider the main story line to be the global conflict between the assassins and templars, in which case that historical setting along with any other could be a potential episode they could develop as part of the franchise. Think of it as them presenting a fan-proof door. It's there for fans to imagine what is behind it but it's ultimately up to Ubisoft whether or not they open it to show what, if anything, they have behind it.

So when they show people like George Washington having the apple, does that mean he's an assassin or templar? You would think he would be on the assassin side, because they are the revolition against the British. It could also be the other way around, that the assassins managed to remove Templar influence from the English government and the Templars decided to organize a revolution to create a new nation as their puppet state. Or, even open your mind to the possibility that many of these people who Ubisoft say possessed a POE in their universe could be influenced by the Assassins and Templars, interact with them in some way, or even know of them but still be independent of both and largely acting on their own. All they realize about the artifact they possess is that it helps them achieve their ends so they use it, moral justification manifesting itself however it needs to in their individual conscience in order to justify their actions.

Obviously, None of the above is dogma and is only part of my own speculation about what Ubisoft is keeping behind their afore-mentioned fan proof doors.

twenty_glyphs
08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
When I first started playing the glyphs in AC2 I was starting to get skeptical about the story of the series. But after seeing how they threw nearly every popular conspiracy theory into the mix somehow, it was just so entertaining. Yes it's completely unbelievable, but that's what drew me to it so much for some reason. It's not supposed to be believable anyway. My one complaint about it isn't that all these historical events or conspiracies are explained with the Pieces of Eden, but rather that they make it look like none of humanity's achievements have happened on their own. It seems like every major technological discovery of mankind or any great historical leader is due to simply rediscovering something from the First Civilization, and Warren Vidic said as much to Desmond in the first game. It's not a big deal though, and I'm sure as more of the history of humanity is revealed in the story we'll still see that humans have done important things and made big choices.

Mikatsuki95
08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't know why you find them so unbelievable unless you've done your research to properly disprove them. The net isn't reliable enough, or resourceful enough, believe me I've tried. Its always better to buy a decent book conspiracy related or not. As long as the author's research is cited and legit.

Calvarok
08-17-2011, 10:06 PM
There were many neutral holders of the artifacts, and lots of important historical events happened basically as they are written. It's just the ones that involve millions of people suddenly following a leader are generally PoE related.

Which makes sense.

The idea is that the Templars popularise their version of events to make them all seem less plausible to be linked. Which is exactly what you're thinking right now, so you can see how it's a good strategy, right?

Altair661
08-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
There were many neutral holders of the artifacts, and lots of important historical events happened basically as they are written. It's just the ones that involve millions of people suddenly following a leader are generally PoE related.

Which makes sense.

The idea is that the Templars popularise their version of events to make them all seem less plausible to be linked. Which is exactly what you're thinking right now, so you can see how it's a good strategy, right?

Indeed. But I never took in consideration there could be neutral people. Still all of this seems to be unecessary. I'm surprised they havent pulled 9/11 into this. Which would probabaly be a bad thing but I could easily see them saying it was some kind of Templar action. Since they have pretty much pulled in every conspiracy out there. Except Area 51 if im correct, which is strange because you think something like that would be perfect for this whole POE thing. However the way Vidic said it in AC1 about the re-education and stuff. I feel like he's saying the templars have always been in control. Like humanity hasnt done anything on it's own.

LightRey
08-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Altair661:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

Which makes sense.

Indeed. But I never took in consideration there could be neutral people. Still all of this seems to be unecessary. I'm surprised they havent pulled 9/11 into this. Which would probabaly be a bad thing but I could easily see them saying it was some kind of Templar action. Since they have pretty much pulled in every conspiracy out there. Except Area 51 if im correct, which is strange because you think something like that would be perfect for this whole POE thing. However the way Vidic said it in AC1 about the re-education and stuff. I feel like he's saying the templars have always been in control. Like humanity hasnt done anything on it's own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The problem with 9/11 is that it's so obviously done by Muslim terrorists that they'd have to come up with a pretty good story to validate what the conspiracy theorists are saying.

Mikatsuki95
08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Even if thats true and the people haven't done anything (or rather not enough) then thats their fault not the templars. I mean one secret society vs. the entire world? How good are those odds? They can pull put every devious trick in the book but it cant work unless the six billion people on earth allow it.

Jexx21
08-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Mikatsuki95:
Even if thats true and the people haven't done anything (or rather not enough) then thats their fault not the templars. I mean one secret society vs. the entire world? How good are those odds? They can pull put every devious trick in the book but it cant work unless the six billion people on earth allow it.

One secret society that has control over almost every major company in the world. They listed NASA and Kraft in the game I think. And Bush Jr. was one of their puppet's apparently, and their plan was for him to stir up troubles in Iran.

This secret society is in control of major companies, even governments. Hell, in the game they even said that the video games were a tool to condition minds.

They have pretty much everything covered.

LightRey
08-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikatsuki95:

One secret society that has control over almost every major company in the world. They listed NASA and Kraft in the game I think. And Bush Jr. was one of their puppet's apparently, and their plan was for him to stir up troubles in Iran.

This secret society is in control of major companies, even governments. Hell, in the game they even said that the video games were a tool to condition minds.

They have pretty much everything covered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you mean Iraq http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
You're right though. However, I would like to add that though they used TV (and I'm guessing this also applies to movies and video games) to manipulate the masses, the plan was apparently starting to backfire as the clusters, I believe it was Cluster 10, show.

Altair661
08-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikatsuki95:

I think you mean Iraq http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
You're right though. However, I would like to add that though they used TV (and I'm guessing this also applies to movies and video games) to manipulate the masses, the plan was apparently starting to backfire as the clusters, I believe it was Cluster 10, show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, cause the one guys starts complaining about the TV service that Abstergo provided or one of their "companies" and they came and killed him. Im pretty sure thats what happened.

LightRey
08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:

You're right though. However, I would like to add that though they used TV (and I'm guessing this also applies to movies and video games) to manipulate the masses, the plan was apparently starting to backfire as the clusters, I believe it was Cluster 10, show. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, cause the one guys starts complaining about the TV service that Abstergo provided or one of their "companies" and they came and killed him. Im pretty sure thats what happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, that wasn't what I meant. That's from cluster 9 I think. The bit I meant was something from Cluster 10 about a report that the effects of simulating PoE-like control via television was working much less efficiently than when the Templars first started doing it.

Altair661
08-18-2011, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Altair661:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

Yeah, cause the one guys starts complaining about the TV service that Abstergo provided or one of their "companies" and they came and killed him. Im pretty sure thats what happened. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, that wasn't what I meant. That's from cluster 9 I think. The bit I meant was something from Cluster 10 about a report that the effects of simulating PoE-like control via television was working much less efficiently than when the Templars first started doing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if it started to crap out, what makes them think a sattelite will work? arugably it is a much more powerful frequency, but i believe somewhere in AC1, it was either in an email or Vidic talking, they spoke about the people that would resist. Are those people Assassins? Are they like immune to the effects? Because im pretty sure the apple made all three assasins (Ezio, Altair, Desmond) it's b**ch at one point.

Like with the Al Mulaim he was able to control Altair a little bit, until he stopped, same with Rodrigo in the Vatican. And at the end of brotherhood Desmond could do nothing to prevent the stabbing of Lucy.

Jexx21
08-18-2011, 10:53 AM

I believe they also use food companies such as Kraft to put chemicals in their food to make the masses more submissive.

Altair661
08-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Jexx21:

I believe they also use food companies such as Kraft to put chemicals in their food to make the masses more submissive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, because didnt they do some kind of experiment in a village or something, and they tapped into the food suply or something?

LightRey
08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Well if it started to crap out, what makes them think a sattelite will work? arugably it is a much more powerful frequency, but i believe somewhere in AC1, it was either in an email or Vidic talking, they spoke about the people that would resist. Are those people Assassins? Are they like immune to the effects? Because im pretty sure the apple made all three assasins (Ezio, Altair, Desmond) it's b**ch at one point.

Like with the Al Mulaim he was able to control Altair a little bit, until he stopped, same with Rodrigo in the Vatican. And at the end of brotherhood Desmond could do nothing to prevent the stabbing of Lucy.
No, it was simply simulated PoE-like control. It wasn't identical to it and it didn't work in the exact same way.

Altair661
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Altair661:

No, it was simply simulated PoE-like control. It wasn't identical to it and it didn't work in the exact same way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, alright. Thank you for the clearance.

LightRey
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM

No, it was simply simulated PoE-like control. It wasn't identical to it and it didn't work in the exact same way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, alright. Thank you for the clearance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, I should add that it was about the entire entertainment industry, not just TV.

E-Zekiel
08-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't understand why you would think the story is ridiculous/ludicrous/laughable. Most conflicts in history have been over control in this way. Maybe if you refer to the "supernatural power" of some of the POEs, then maybe. But in the words of Arthur C. Clarke - "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Even in the modern day in real life, these "economic crises" is simply those with a lot of money trying to stay at the top and continuously rule/dominate those fiscally beneath them. You think it's that unbelievable? They do it by systematically removing power from governments in the name of "freedom", when government is supposed to be the counterbalance of power against these mechanisms. It is supposed to be the balance against human greed. Destroy its power, greed runs rampant, and you have corporate (or financial) feudalism.

Whether or not they are actually templars or assassins is obviously in your own imagination, but I think the transition from religion to money for the templars' source of power/control of people, the way the Assassin's Creed franchise has set it up, is 100% believable. To be totally honest wouldn't even surprise me if it turned out to resemble the truth if in only some remote way.

LightRey
08-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
I don't understand why you would think the story is ridiculous/ludicrous/laughable. Most conflicts in history have been over control in this way. Maybe if you refer to the "supernatural power" of some of the POEs, then maybe. But in the words of Arthur C. Clarke - "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Even in the modern day in real life, these "economic crises" is simply those with a lot of money trying to stay at the top and continuously rule/dominate those fiscally beneath them. You think it's that unbelievable? They do it by systematically removing power from governments in the name of "freedom", when government is supposed to be the counterbalance of power against these mechanisms. It is supposed to be the balance against human greed. Destroy its power, greed runs rampant, and you have corporate (or financial) feudalism.

Whether or not they are actually templars or assassins is obviously in your own imagination, but I think the transition from religion to money for the templars' source of power/control of people, the way the Assassin's Creed franchise has set it up, is 100% believable. To be totally honest wouldn't even surprise me if it turned out to resemble the truth if in only some remote way.
^ is right. The only thing in the AC that's different (or maybe not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif ) is the fact that in the AC universe everything is connected.

lukaszep
08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
But the idea is, is that The Templars are part of a conspiracy, and just like the crazy you tubers that rant about the Illuminati, the templars are everywhere and have controlled the entire history of human life. Anyway it's just a game...You don't go and see Avatar and walk out the movie theatre saying "nahh it's too over the top".

Altair661
08-18-2011, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

^ is right. The only thing in the AC that's different (or maybe not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif ) is the fact that in the AC universe everything is connected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose I agree with both of you. Within the universe it is very believable because they provide explanation and connect it. I dont see it as rediculous or anything, I just think it might be a little too much with for a video game, not really that. Just the fact that they are opening up an entire universe, practically re-writing history to a certain point. Trying to make it seem the templars have been in control, and before them TWCB, but that's something else entirely. Im not saying it's bad. I actually enjoy how they expand it. I dont have a problem, mainly my friend does. All I was asking was if anyone else thought it was too much. I still dont think it all ties into the main storyline.

I agree with you, I actually hope more games try to expand on their universe like AC. But I just dont see why alot of it even matters. Some of it, but not all of it. Maybe it's just me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

LightRey
08-18-2011, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

^ is right. The only thing in the AC that's different (or maybe not http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif ) is the fact that in the AC universe everything is connected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose I agree with both of you. Within the universe it is very believable because they provide explanation and connect it. I dont see it as rediculous or anything, I just think it might be a little too much with for a video game, not really that. Just the fact that they are opening up an entire universe, practically re-writing history to a certain point. Trying to make it seem the templars have been in control, and before them TWCB, but that's something else entirely. Im not saying it's bad. I actually enjoy how they expand it. I dont have a problem, mainly my friend does. All I was asking was if anyone else thought it was too much. I still dont think it all ties into the main storyline.

I agree with you, I actually hope more games try to expand on their universe like AC. But I just dont see why alot of it even matters. Some of it, but not all of it. Maybe it's just me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think it's mainly to emphasize the scale of what's going on and to open up the possibilities of future games/novels/(short) movies

SidotiSony
08-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I feel as AC is a reflection on our own history..This game can be broken down to discussions of The Illuminati, Free Masions, And the Anunaki...So id have to agree this game can be derived alot from our own history and alot of historical figures, i would not doubt, were involved in these tight nit orginizations.

Mikatsuki95
08-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Well TWCB are definitely a reflection of the story of the Annunaki, there's no other story it resembles more. If they said they completely made it up they'd be lying because the two stories are way too similar.

As for these societies, they aren't nearly as powerful as one might think, far from it. They are more afraid of us then we could be of them because secrecy is their only advantage. If they openly went around saying "we're trying to mind control you and rule the world" then they're groups would fail cuz the people wouldn't tolerate it. They aren't noble. That's why they lie about their goals and don't publicly and honestly push their agenda. I mean a few societies against the entire world? You can't beat those odds unless you're operating in secret. It'd be different if they were acting in our best interest but thy aren't.

Now I'm not trying to convince anyone if these groups are real or not. As I said in other posts, just go buy a book whose author has done legit research with cited information to prove or disprove their existence.

Altair661
08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I think it's mainly to emphasize the scale of what's going on and to open up the possibilities of future games/novels/(short) movies

That makes sense, cause of like "The Fall" and stuff. And this supposed "rumor movie" could fit into it as well. Now whether it's all canon I dont know. But it makes sense.

Altair661
08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Start at 1:40 and listen. See what I mean when I say Vidic makes it look like the Templars have been in control? http://youtu.be/FQkl8FDErss

Calvarok
08-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Start at 1:40 and listen. See what I mean when I say Vidic makes it look like the Templars have been in control? http://youtu.be/FQkl8FDErss
Yep. They have. The Templars have either been opposing or influencing every major organization throughout history. In the 1990s, they suceeded in brainwashing Daniel Cross to kill the leader of the Assassins, sending the assassin order into a spiral from which is has not yet recovered. This is why Abstergo is even more in control now: for once in history, they have minimal opposition.

Altair661
08-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
Yep. They have. The Templars have either been opposing or influencing every major organization throughout history. In the 1990s, they suceeded in brainwashing Daniel Cross to kill the leader of the Assassins, sending the assassin order into a spiral from which is has not yet recovered. This is why Abstergo is even more in control now: for once in history, they have minimal opposition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, which is why it kinda annoys me because I know they can be powerful and they work in comeplete secrecy and all of that. But it's like humanity has done nothing on its own. But oh well, hopefully we'll stop em soon enough.