PDA

View Full Version : Altiar, ezio and eagle

Jash1434
12-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I think it was after assassins creed released and a little before AC2 was released I read somewhere... Maybe gameinformer maybe some anonymous gaming website, that altiar and ezios names were derived from the word eagle in other languages. I think it said something about the hoods that went over there head was supost to be like an eagles beak because of the way it hooked down at the front. I went to google and did a search but didn't have any luck with it. Does anyone here know anything about the names or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

LaCava1
12-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, I know Altair means "The Flying One" in Arabic. I think Ezio means "Eagle" in some way...

mrfishy101
12-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I read the same thing somewhere. Ezio Auditore da Firenze roughly translates to Eagle listener/protector of Florence. At least, that's what I read.

Avl521
12-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad means "The Flying One" "Son of None".
He shares his name (Altair or "Alfa Aquila".) with the brightest star in the constellation Aquila (Aquila meaning "Eagle" in italian.) So roughly Altaïr seems to be the "Alfa Eagle" although eagles don't have packs like wolves do.

Ezio's name seems to mean eagle but not in italian.
Most likely in Latin.

LightRey
12-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Avl521:
Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad means "The Flying One" "Son of None".
He shares his name (Altair or "Alfa Aquila".) with the brightest star in the constellation Aquila (Aquila meaning "Eagle" in italian.) So roughly Altaïr seems to be the "Alfa Eagle" although eagles don't have packs like wolves do.

Ezio's name seems to mean eagle but not in italian.
Most likely in Latin.
Not likely. There are no z's in Latin.

tyrce111
12-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Ezio is Greek for eagle...
I think I heared it in the AC2 Dev Diarys.

Foppezao
12-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Wouldn't it be coold if you could transform into a bird like castaneda, or get into a bird memory?from way before altair?

TullyMcNasty
12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by foppezao:
Wouldn't it be coold if you could transform into a bird like castaneda, or get into a bird memory?from way before altair?

Because Desmond is descended from birds how?

Rama_V1
12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TullyMcNasty:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foppezao:

Because Desmond is descended from birds how? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's not, but he is related to the Leonardo from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. we've all seen the way those guys move. clearly like the assassins. also, Al Mualim is related to Splinter. surely we can all see the likeness between those two

polo-i-3
12-09-2010, 12:49 PM
OK someone said here that Ezio Auditore da Firenze translates to Eagle listener/ protector of Florence, well that is wrong cause Ezio translates to Ezio and da firenze translates to from florence as for who ever said Altair is arabis for flying one well I putted it through a translater and it popped ub again as Altair so basically if you played the game and noticed what they were doing you would realised that yes the hoods are suppose to look like eagles cuase the creed lives by the same aspects as an eagle cause an eagle can see something that doesn't appear to be there hence "eagle vision" and an eagle is swift and fast, you can't always know he attacks just like an assassin, by the time you know his prey is dead he is long gone

Redfeather1975
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by polo-i-3:
OK someone said here that Ezio Auditore da Firenze translates to Eagle listener/ protector of Florence, well that is wrong cause Ezio translates to Ezio and da firenze translates to from florence

I think the listener part comes from Auditore in his name.

dchil279
12-09-2010, 02:14 PM
OK someone said here that Ezio Auditore da Firenze translates to Eagle listener/ protector of Florence, well that is wrong cause Ezio translates to Ezio and da firenze translates to from florence as for who ever said Altair is arabic for flying one well I putted it through a translater and it popped ub again as Altair
It is common knowledge that Altair means "high flying one" in Arabic. Internet translators are pieces of s***

Jellyfloater
12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
as for who ever said Altair is arabis for flying one well I putted it through a translater and it popped ub again as Altair

Try spelling it correctly/in the arabic alphabet.

LaCava1
12-09-2010, 04:41 PM
OK someone said here that Ezio Auditore da Firenze translates to Eagle listener/ protector of Florence, well that is wrong cause Ezio translates to Ezio and da firenze translates to from florence as for who ever said Altair is arabis for flying one well I putted it through a translater and it popped ub again as Altair so basically if you played the game and noticed what they were doing you would realised that yes the hoods are suppose to look like eagles cuase the creed lives by the same aspects as an eagle cause an eagle can see something that doesn't appear to be there hence "eagle vision" and an eagle is swift and fast, you can't always know he attacks just like an assassin, by the time you know his prey is dead he is long gone
This is a major run-on sentence. Use punctuation!

Let's eat, grandma!
or
Let's eat grandma!
see what a difference it can make?

DavisP92
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Altair=The flying one
Ezio=Eagle, or at least that is why the dev. team choose that name. they are called these names because the concept of the assassin that Ubisoft was "a bird of prey". thus the idea of ezioand altiar and most likely the new assassin will have name that means eagle, bird or some sort of variation of the word.

Oatkeeper
12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Fun fact = The etymology of Desmond's name "the world" (or "man of the world" in Celtic and Latin) His surname "Miles" is also the Latin word for "soldier."

X10J
12-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Eagles are signs of divinity in several cultures/religions/mythologies.

Ohhh, I see what you did there Ubi. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TheLeoCrow
12-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by tyrce111:

I think i've heard of it too and i can tell you, tey are wrong. I am greek and there is no such word

nuobkiller
12-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Guys im arab, Altair Means : The Flying one. Al means 'the' and Tair (pronounced Ta-er.) Means flyer...so you there you go, Altair=the flying one. Ibn'la'ahad mean son of none. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Hope it helped.

xsatanicjokerx
12-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by TheLeoCrow:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tyrce111:

I think i've heard of it too and i can tell you, tey are wrong. I am greek and there is no such word </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That video states that Ezios name originates from Greece. So you are saying that you are fluent in ancient greek?

Smythy01
12-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Let's eat, grandma!
or
Let's eat grandma!
see what a difference it can make?
Quote end

Bet she tastes nice! lol

Jash1434
12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tyrce111:

I think i've heard of it too and i can tell you, tey are wrong. I am greek and there is no such word </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With as much a ubi has researched everything I'm sure they know what they are doing.

LightRey
12-10-2010, 02:02 PM

I think i've heard of it too and i can tell you, tey are wrong. I am greek and there is no such word </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ANCIENT Greek mai freind. 2 completely different languages. I should know, I've learned ancient Greek at school and been to Greece enough to know there is a major difference.

justinpunny
12-10-2010, 02:08 PM

@TheLeoCrow, No offense, you shouldn't commit if you are NOT sure about anything.

Yes, The word EZIO is indeed of ancient GREEK origin. here's the proof:

http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/...deo-game-characters/ (http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/the-name-game-etymology-of-video-game-characters/)

This Wiki LINK doesn't seem to work here. Just Don't know why. So Kindly Type the URL in your Web Browser. !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Assassin's_Creed#Ezio_Auditore_da_Fi renze

The name “Ezio” is the Italian derivation of the Greek name ????? (sometimes spelled Aetos), which means “eagle.”

Also, to continue with the tradition of the reference to an eagle, Ezio is derived from the Greek word Aetos, meaning eagle.

I was doing a bit of search, and the name also has some 'origin' in Latin (means 'Like an EAGLE').

Edit: Btw, the EZIO name was also used by ANCIENT greeks to give names to new born Baby Boy, after a birth, as told by a friend of mine (He is Greek).

LightRey
12-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by justinpunny:

@LeoCrow, No offense, but don't commit if u are NOT sure about anything.

http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/...deo-game-characters/ (http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/the-name-game-etymology-of-video-game-characters/)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Assassin's_Creed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The name “Ezio” is the Italian derivation of the Greek name ????? (sometimes spelled Aetos), which means “eagle.”

Also, to continue with the tradition of the reference to an eagle, Ezio is derived from the Greek word Aetos, meaning eagle.

I was doing a bit of search, and the name also has some 'origin' in Latin (means 'Like an EAGLE').

Edit: Btw, the EZIO name was also used by ANCIENT greeks to give names to new born Baby Boy, after a birth, as told by a friend of mine (He is Greek). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah good. I wasn't really in the mood to look that up myself.

StatewidePanda
12-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Ezio does directly translate to eagle.

TheLeoCrow
12-12-2010, 02:39 PM

@TheLeoCrow, No offense, you shouldn't commit if you are NOT sure about anything.

http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/...deo-game-characters/ (http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/the-name-game-etymology-of-video-game-characters/)[...]

????? is also the modern word for eagle. And it sounds NOTHING like Ezio. Since you think you know my language better than i am, can you please explain how does ????? (aëtos) sound like Ezio?

Jellyfloater
12-12-2010, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by justinpunny:

http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/...deo-game-characters/ (http://elder-geek.com/2010/03/the-name-game-etymology-of-video-game-characters/)[...]

????? is also the modern word for eagle. And it sounds NOTHING like Ezio. Since you think you know my language better than i am, can you please explain how does ????? (aëtos) sound like Ezio? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

[QUOTE]The name “Ezio” is the Italian derivation of the Greek name ????? (sometimes spelled Aetos), which means “eagle.”

w1820044
12-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I think the big issue with deciphering these names is that they are not literal translations. I could be wrong but I remember when AC1 came out there was a large discussion about the name's true meaning. I recall watching a dev diary or something similar that stated the name Altair was derived from words that translate to eagle or something pertaining to an eagle.

It makes a lot of sense, as the eagle is a constant theme in the AC series, and if the dev's did it for the first game.. it seems logical that they would use names that carried a similar spirit in the new ones

LaCava1
12-12-2010, 03:58 PM
LOL! I translated the Arabic translation on the Assassin's Creed wiki of Altair Ibn-La'Ahad online. It translated to "I'm not a bird"! I know online translators suck, but still, it was funny.
*EDIT* I translated his name to Arabic just now, then back again. I got "Eagle Sunday to Los Angeles I'm". The wiki lies.