PDA

View Full Version : Corner Speed

shc89
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
What is the corner speed for fighters in general in Il-2? Does anyone know whats the exact corner speed for Bf-109G2, A6M5-A and La5FN ?

Kurfurst__
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Try il2compare, speeds for the best turn radi/turn time should be available from its graphs.

M_Gunz
09-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by shc89:
What is the corner speed for fighters in general in Il-2? Does anyone know whats the exact corner speed for Bf-109G2, A6M5-A and La5FN ?

Instantaneous or sustained corner speed and what's this exact business?

You probably want sustained corner speed since instantaneous is something you're not going
to see often in WWII combat. With high power jets it's another matter altogether which is
why reading jet combat books like Fighter Combat has to be taken with a lot of care.

Sustained corner speed is for WWII fighters a great thing to know since it's the highest speed
you can turn without losing speed or alt, it should be about the slowest you'd want to get in a fight.

Exact speed? That changes with altitude, with engine power.

Knowing what YOU can do with the plane is a better than knowing what an expert can do.
Oh, right, all experts here anyway or will be with a few hours practice. Proof is how
many kills online as I've been told.

shc89
09-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Well most often I tried to use the instantaneous when I have to turn quickly. Since you do have faster turn rate/turn radius with instantaneous?
As I see it instantaneous= better turn rate/turn radius but bleeding lot of energy, sustained= lower turn rate/radius but keeping your energy, and making it possible to make a big turn without bleeding energy. Am I right ?

M_Gunz
09-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by shc89:
Well most often I tried to use the instantaneous when I have to turn quickly. Since you do have faster turn rate/turn radius with instantaneous?
As I see it instantaneous= better turn rate/turn radius but bleeding lot of energy, sustained= lower turn rate/radius but keeping your energy, and making it possible to make a big turn without bleeding energy. Am I right ?

If you're flying faster than sustained turn you can trade energy for angle but you should know
what speed to quit trading and maybe change tactics just a bit sooner than that.

Best thing is to go into the vertical to some extent, use roll and gravity to change direction.
If you allow the plane to lose alt, you can turn harder for the same effort/drag or you can
gain speed or a bit of both while cutting inside and across the circle of that flat turning
target you couldn't get a lead to shoot on.

shc89
09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks alot for the advices. I'll try to use them and see how it turns out.

bubiH
09-12-2008, 02:22 AM
I read a few years ago that corner speed, IRL, for LA5FN was 365kph, and for BF 109G-10 it was 10kph slower. I use these speeds as my benchmark for fast aircraft.

For slower aircraft, corner will be much slower, probably around 300 for Hurricane I, Emil, etc.

M_Gunz
09-12-2008, 06:38 AM
From sims in the past, about 240-250 MPH for planes like P-51.
That's 400+ KPH as combat speed.

shc89
09-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Well I downloaded ilcompare and theres a turn time graph for each aircraft. According to it most aircraft have corner speeds at about 330kph and for A6M5-A it goes low as about 290kph. It often seems to me that the turn rate is higher at speeds close to 400kph which is much higher than corner speed according to ilcompare but its probably just a feeling.

M_Gunz
09-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Maybe not. I was going by old sim data. It's best to run at the higher speed that's still
going to turn about as fast since you can always either pull a bit harder or rise to slow
and turn then drop to regain speed. The faster you're going, the higher you can rise without
slowing down to sustained climb.

fastest turn at X # of G's should be close to stall x sqrt( G's ).
4 G's should be possible at 2x stall and 4 G's is more than many of these fighters can sustain in level turns. When stall is 70-100 mph depending on load that does actually put
sustained max... would you believe 220 kph - 320 kph or less?

Well no wonder that turn fighters make such easy targets for fast movers. You might turn more
degrees but you move less distance and if he's not right on your tail then he won't have to
turn as many degrees to make a shot.

It's better to keep your speed, rise or sink off level and use gravity and roll rate to
change direction. Start with wingovers and half-loops, learn yoyo's and barrel rolls.
You can exit a barrel roll with widely changed direction and be cussed hard to hit doing it.

Maybe the 240-250MPH -is- instantaneous corner or even the maximum speed you can make a
full control displacement without damaging the plane! V-something-or-other, LOL!

shc89
09-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks alot for the info. I always try to keep the speed, since its always easy to lose it if you want it but not easy to get.

''You might turn more
degrees but you move less distance and if he's not right on your tail then he won't have to
turn as many degrees to make a shot.''

Yeah, especially when you have altitude advantage, his turn rate seems to be unimportant.