PDA

View Full Version : Intact Dornier Do-215 B-5 Nightfighter belonging to German Ace found off Dutch Coast



cawimmer430
09-30-2007, 05:16 AM
It belonged to Helmut Wilhelm Karl Woltersdorf. His details and his death and the Do-215 info can be read below. Enjoy the scan. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7803/do215wh7.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=do215wh7.jpg)

Boandlgramer
09-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Danke, dann werde ich mir die Geschichte um seinen Tod gleich reinziehen und genießen.

cawimmer430
09-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Boandlgramer:
Danke, dann werde ich mir die Geschichte um seinen Tod gleich reinziehen und genießen.

Just to clear something up. I mean "Enjoy the informative article", not the death of this man. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG52Uther
09-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for posting!

MB_Avro_UK
09-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by cawimmer430:
It belonged to Helmut Wilhelm Karl Woltersdorf. His details and his death and the Do-215 info can be read below. Enjoy the scan. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7803/do215wh7.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=do215wh7.jpg)

Excellent Post thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Also, this pilot was hit twice by bomber gunners as they were being destroyed. Maybe il2 is more accurate than we realise
??

Interesting to consider how many other WW2 aircraft are submerged in Holland?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Choctaw111
09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Very good article. Thanks for posting. Like MB_Avro has said, and I have often wondered myself, I wonder how many more things like this are just waiting to be found (that can be found).

horseback
09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:

Also, this pilot was hit twice by bomber gunners as they were being destroyed. Maybe il2 is more accurate than we realise??

Best Regards,
MB_Avro. Absolutely not. Night actions were usually conducted at both slower relative speeds and closer ranges.

Muzzle flash and exhaust flare probably provided a much better aiming point (smaller, sharper and more distinct against the night sky) than daytime fighters coming in at a closing speed of 160+kph, and it doesn't take much imagination to think that nightfighters may have placed a bit too much trust in their invisibility on a number of occasions.

The AI gunners in-game are ludicrously accurate out to ridiculous ranges, <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">especially when in an ai-piloted aircraft not subject to the constant variation from the straight and level of normal human piloting. The bastages don't even get that 'bounce' we get when flying over rivers and beaches, and the less said about how they can fly in the bad-weather low-level turbulence, the better.</span>

cheers

horseback

Vike
10-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks Cawimmer,very interesting article! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

cawimmer430
10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Anytime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also have interesting scans about a more powerful BMW 801 engine that was supposed to see service in the FW-190A8+ but never made it. Sadly it is in German and would take forever to translate (it's also VERY technical) but it has awesome pictures! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

berg417448
10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Good stuff!

I'm giving my age away, but this article reminded me of a short newspaper story I read about 35 years ago (or more). The story was about how they were draining some wetlands in the Netherlands and they discovered the wreck of a Mosquito. It seemed nothing too unusual at first but then they noticed that the Mosquito bore German markings. IIRC the article also stated that examination of the wreck revealed that the original guns had been replaced with German guns.

I always figured that it was one a captured aircraft used by KG200 but I've never read anything more about this plane except in that newspaper article. Anyone else ever hear anything about this?

cawimmer430
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by berg417448:
Good stuff!

I'm giving my age away, but this article reminded me of a short newspaper story I read about 35 years ago (or more). The story was about how they were draining some wetlands in the Netherlands and they discovered the wreck of a Mosquito. It seemed nothing too unusual at first but then they noticed that the Mosquito bore German markings. IIRC the article also stated that examination of the wreck revealed that the original guns had been replaced with German guns.

I always figured that it was one a captured aircraft used by KG200 but I've never read anything more about this plane except in that newspaper article. Anyone else ever hear anything about this?

Wow! That's quite a story! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

If it's a captured Allied plane with German markings, it is definitely from KG200.

berg417448
10-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I wish that Werner Baumbach hadn't kept his secrets about KG200 when he wrote after the war.

Waldo.Pepper
10-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by berg417448:
Good stuff!

I'm giving my age away, but this article reminded me of a short newspaper story I read about 35 years ago (or more). The story was about how they were draining some wetlands in the Netherlands and they discovered the wreck of a Mosquito. It seemed nothing too unusual at first but then they noticed that the Mosquito bore German markings. IIRC the article also stated that examination of the wreck revealed that the original guns had been replaced with German guns.

I always figured that it was one a captured aircraft used by KG200 but I've never read anything more about this plane except in that newspaper article. Anyone else ever hear anything about this?

I did NOT have that article. But I do remember a similar one about finding wrecks beneath the Zuyder Zee, when it was drained. The article had many pictures including details of a B-17 that ditched, then sank coming to rest VERY well preserved. (I would say almost intact).

They recovered parts of many wrecks including the remains of a Gotha bomber from the Great War. The article went on to talk about how the Gotha could have gotten there - and then the article went off into some wild speculation that the crew were intentionally flying toward neutral territory. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif


Terrific news about the Dornier. I wish it was in better shape. Hope they get the rest. I am sure the Seals won't mind. Throw them some fish for looking after it for all for all these years.

Heliopause
10-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm from Holland...the dornier is something new!! Didn't here from it before.
That goes for the mysterious Mosquito aswell!

MB_Avro_UK
10-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

I don't understand as to why it is not possible to recover the Dornier.

Ok..it's a wildlife sanctuary..but history is important. What would be the damage or risk to the seals?

If the Dornier was found in the same circumstances in the UK I'm sure that it would be recovered and preserved as an historical exhibit for future generations.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.
.

leitmotiv
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by cawimmer430:
Anytime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also have interesting scans about a more powerful BMW 801 engine that was supposed to see service in the FW-190A8+ but never made it. Sadly it is in German and would take forever to translate (it's also VERY technical) but it has awesome pictures! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bitte!

Vike
10-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Interesting story Berg http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
I wish someone finds again this article http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif


Originally posted by cawimmer430:
Anytime. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also have interesting scans about a more powerful BMW 801 engine that was supposed to see service in the FW-190A8+ but never made it. Sadly it is in German and would take forever to translate (it's also VERY technical) but it has awesome pictures! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Ich will (*Rammstein* http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

@+

BerkshireHunt
10-02-2007, 08:37 AM
The Dornier's "exact location remains a strict secret". But there are no secrets from Google: this wreck should be clearly visible on one of their satellite maps.
Hmmm... the Waddenzee, a seal sanctuary, sandbanks - narrows it down a bit.

FoolTrottel
10-02-2007, 10:34 AM
But there are no secrets from Google:
Well, been looking around there... and it is not a too large area... but it's a tidal area... the thing might just as well have been submerged whenever them pics were taken...

NWoltersdorf96
03-13-2016, 01:42 AM
It belonged to Helmut Wilhelm Karl Woltersdorf. His details and his death and the Do-215 info can be read below. Enjoy the scan. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7803/do215wh7.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=do215wh7.jpg)

To the original poster;

Hopefully you'll see this, despite it being nearly ten years later. I am descendant of Helmut Woltersdorf, currently attending Film School in California. I would like to make a short film detailing some of the exploits of Helmut's life and would love if you could send me whatever you had originally attached to this post - the link no longer works. Any information about Helmut is great for me. if its easier to send to me directly, my email is darthnick96@gmail.com - I'd appreciate it so much if you still have the information and could pass it on to me.

Thanks.