PDA

View Full Version : OT: Movie "Der Untergang"

Monson74
03-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Has anyone seen it? Is it any good? The critics like it but I would like to read your opinions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Monson74
03-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Has anyone seen it? Is it any good? The critics like it but I would like to read your opinions. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

GrinderX9
03-08-2005, 09:33 AM
It is a realy good movie. 10\10.

jeroen_R90S
03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Yeah, it's really awesome. Bruno Ganz is really scary, but Goebbels and his wife are even more scary, though in a different way.

There are even some humourous pieces in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ForkTailedDevil
03-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know if this movie is available in the US yet? I have downloaded a few of the trailers and am looking forward to seeing it.

GrinderX9
03-08-2005, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ForkTailedDevil:
Does anyone know if this movie is available in the US yet? I have downloaded a few of the trailers and am looking forward to seeing it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is available in theatres.
see the link for when and where.
http://www.downfallthefilm.com/playdates.cfm

ForkTailedDevil
03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the link looks like I will be seeing it on the 18th.

Werre_Fsck
03-08-2005, 11:35 PM
It's excellent and historical, except for some very minor things (most obsiously Martin Bormanns fate). They have put in Hitler's mouth many MANY quotes from books, interviews etc.

Some of the actors look VERY close to originals... Keitel, Speer, Himmler are almost identical. Hitler is close. G├┬Âbbels looks a bit too evil and psycho with those black eyes. G├┬Âring was IMO not even close.

They have even staged some photos from the book "Berlin 1945" ... like the scene in which there's a body with Knights Cross laying on street and a Stg44 on his side... they practically walk through the photo.

Can be a bit long and quite boring IF you're not a history buff...

GH_Klingstroem
03-09-2005, 04:29 AM
Absolutely awesome movie! A must see!!! Dont wait!

Kurfurst__
03-09-2005, 07:06 AM
It`s absolutely excellent, a must-see. Plus it`s very objective imho, and as noted, many famous scenes are re-enacted, i.e. the well known last footage of Hitler awarding some young boys in his last days. All characters are excellent imho, maybe with the exception of Goebbels and the general staff - too simplified imho, but maybe goebbels was such a jerk in his private life, too.. the actors Magda Goebbels and Hitler`s characters are just terrific, while Himmler, Speer, and others of the military also make a strong impression. I have seen it in orig. German w. subtitles, Hitler`s strong accent adds a lot to the feeling.

Oh, and Hanna Reitsch is just so cute. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

110% + MW 50. Right along Stalingrad and Das Boot, rivalling the latter.

Capt._Tenneal
03-09-2005, 08:29 AM
This movie finally makes it to my area this weekend, so I'll definitely check it out !

How are the combat scenes, any of note ? Any planes shown on the film ?

PraetorHonoris
03-09-2005, 08:33 AM
No planes, few but very intensive combat scenes. It is not an "ordinary" war movie like BoB.

But it's great, one of the best movies I have ever seen with awesome acting.

In Germany the DVD will be out 17th of march.

Saunders1953
03-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Are they showing it in the States in German with subtitles? I hate when they dub English into foreign films. Thank God when they released Das Boot here originally they didn't use a dubbed version.

Fliegeroffizier
03-09-2005, 06:33 PM
This seems to be a film directed by a German and has a German cast, etc.... Was it produced/made in Germany?..or was it produced/made in another country?

If so, how do they get around the "No-Swastikas in Germany" Laws??? It's going to look very strange for a movie on this subject to eliminate any sign of the Swastika...

If swastikas ARE present in the movie, wouldn't that mean that it could NOT be released in German theaters?

Any one have any insight on this ???

Stiglr
03-09-2005, 10:35 PM
It was up for an Oscar for best foreign film.

I plan to see it when I get a chance.

JR_Greenhorn
03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
My wife found out about this movie on the interweb and told me about it a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the closest showing is over six hours away from me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

I wonder if it will be tough to find in the states when (if?) it comes out on DVD.

csThor
03-09-2005, 11:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliegeroffizier:
This seems to be a film directed by a German and has a German cast, etc.... Was it produced/made in Germany?..or was it produced/made in another country? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many street-fighting scenes were made in St. Petersburg which bore more resemblance to the Berlin of old than the Berlin of our times. I'm not sure about the bunker scenes, but I think most of the film was made in St. Petersburg, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliegeroffizier:
If so, how do they get around the "No-Swastikas in Germany" Laws??? It's going to look very strange for a movie on this subject to eliminate any sign of the Swastika...

If swastikas ARE present in the movie, wouldn't that mean that it could NOT be released in German theaters? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Movies are considered art and art does not fall under the "no swastika" laws. It's not unlawful to display NS emblems in movies as long as the movie does not attempt to transport NS ideology or ideas. It was shown in many (most?) german movie theaters and was quite a success. I saw it only once (don't have too much time), but it was one of the few films where the audience was strangely quiet after the film ended.

Bruno Gantz's acting was masterful, he was also pictured in his "mask" on the front page of the "Spiegel" magazine and there were quite a lot of folks who needed a while to understand this was not the real Hitler.

I will definitely get the DVD once it comes out. I would even go as far as making this movie mandatory for schools in Germany - maybe we'll have less problems with short-haired right-wing idiots once their potential new blood sees what kind of idiots these folks are admiring.

flyplenty
03-10-2005, 05:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kurfurst__:
It`s absolutely excellent, a must-see. [...] I have seen it in orig. German w. subtitles, Hitler`s strong accent adds a lot to the feeling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. Seeing the movie in German is the best way for atmosphere, but in whatever form, go see it!

Cippacometa
03-10-2005, 05:35 AM
This is a very good movie.
I believe its best quality is showing Hitler not as an "abstract evil being" (as he's seen usually in movies), but it shows the man that was Hitler.
And that makes the character, and all that has been done in his name, even more scaring and terrible.