PDA

View Full Version : If U don't think ACB has best combat system ever ...

McDillard
11-26-2010, 01:12 AM
... then you are doing it wrong.

I've seen some people complaining that the combat is "stale" or too "slow". I don't know about you, but when I am in in the virtual training room, and I score a kill chain of 20 enemies while attacking and countering to link together executions, the combat feels anything but stale. It is fast paced, precise, and so deep that you can hack and slash like a newb (if you want), or you can score 1 to 2 kills with each press of the x button (or square for you PS3 people). Plus the sheer variety of attacks/animations, and the fluidity of the character movement make each fight seem like a well-choreographed hollywood movie. And I won't even get into the sweet free-running system, and all the crazy assassination scenarios you can produce.

So, basically, thank you UBISOFT for making one of the sickest, most innovative games of the year (multiplayer = win)

If you disagree, please see the top line.

JAHman28
11-26-2010, 01:27 AM
I respectfully disagree.
Batman Arkham asylum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MqpGj8OI0A)
But it is awesome combat nonetheless.

obliviondoll
11-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I personally like Brotherhood's combat system about as much as Arkham Asylum's. Arkham has more difficult enemies than Brotherhood, which helps it feel better - it's more of a challenge.

I think the Assassin's Creed system has more room to grow than Arkham's - Particularly if they bring back some elements of the first AC's combat.

Also, it would be easier to make AC combat work properly in an offline multiplayer arena, whereas Arkham Asylum's combat wouldn't really be workable in PvP.

McDillard
11-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Ok, Batman was definitely good, but all Batman has to fight with are his fists. There is no transitioning between different weapon types for different scenarios, and it seems like batman lets you endlessly do the same kind of attacks. Don't get me wrong, they are both great, I just wanted to address the fact that ACB can get undersold by people who haven't really experienced the full depth yet.

But we can agree to disagree =)

Originally posted by JAHman28:
I respectfully disagree.

Nick1021
11-26-2010, 02:19 AM
I like the combat. I'm ranked around 80 for the vr training "long kill streak all weapons".
Around 100 kills in 2 minutes and to get a gold you need 400 points, I got 2400.
But I have to admit it's kind of boring. The way I got that many points is do really good in the begging until you are surrounded and then switch to your knife and HOLD x. You are invicible and you kill 2 people quickly, and that's all you do for the rest of the time.

Jack-Reacher
11-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Wai tso to do the double kills with knives/pistol you just hold it and never let go? I can usually get it right but I just guess and hold it at random times until i get a rhythm going, its really inconsistent for me

obliviondoll
11-26-2010, 02:27 AM
I can kill up to 3 at once with knives.

Didn't know if made you invincible while you're doing it though. Nice exploit there.

McDillard
11-26-2010, 06:39 AM
No, you have to let go of x once the dual kill sequence starts, and then time the next press and hold again before the last sequence ends and don't let go until the next one starts, and so on until you get hit, or run out of knives, or decide to stop on your own. It is similar to doing a regular kill chain with x, where you time each subsequent quick press during the window of time that Ezio is killing your last victim.

Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
Wai tso to do the double kills with knives/pistol you just hold it and never let go? I can usually get it right but I just guess and hold it at random times until i get a rhythm going, its really inconsistent for me

McDillard
11-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I can kill up to 3 at once with knives.

Didn't know if made you invincible while you're doing it though. Nice exploit there.

Weird, I've never seen a 3-kill in 1 move in a kill chain, unless you mean when you press and hold x, to throw 3 knives at once. But that doesn't really link kills together in my experience.

And holding x to get the dual kill (stab one guy, throw a knife at the next), while it does kill a ton of people when you can link a few of them together, it does not make you invincible. Someone can still swing at you and hit you/end your streak if you don't counter in time. However, it seems like you are invincible, b/c you are killing so many guys so quickly that no one has a chance to get an attack off by the time they run up to you. It is pretty sweet.

Coolgerb
11-26-2010, 06:55 AM
I always get grabbed when having a good streak http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

nponline
11-26-2010, 06:56 AM
it was annoying in the second game and i wished to god they wouldnt do it in this game

nponline
11-26-2010, 06:59 AM
the combat system is still badass though, you start linking a few kills and it just envelopes into a dance of slaughter, hardly seems fair for the guards

nponline
11-26-2010, 07:02 AM
it sucks that u cant dodge anymore, how is kicking a guy in the crotch a good alternative?

rb2610
11-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by nponline:
it sucks that u cant dodge anymore, how is kicking a guy in the crotch a good alternative?

How is it not an awesome alternative?! :P

MostJadedGamer
11-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Combat system and AI are total garbage there is no challenge whatsoever in combat.

This needs to be Ubisoft first priority in AC3 is to fix the combat system, the AI, and to give us adjustable difficulty levels.

ZCherub
11-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Um - you CAN dodge. R1 + X (or XBox equivalent) when you're attacked...

Hatzego
11-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Hold RT (or I assume R2 on PS3) and press A (x) to dodge.

JAHman28
11-26-2010, 09:37 AM
And do you choose a direction on the analogue stick?

salted onions
11-26-2010, 09:45 AM
I respectfully disagree.

That combat looks about as fast paced as this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...r6ik&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUw_T3tr6ik&feature=related)

Isn't it sort of similar though?
Chain X to destroy people, Y to counter in Batman: AA.
Chain X to destroy people, X+RT to counter in ACB.?
(for the 360)

Radman500
11-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I personally like Brotherhood's combat system about as much as Arkham Asylum's. Arkham has more difficult enemies than Brotherhood, which helps it feel better - it's more of a challenge.

I think the Assassin's Creed system has more room to grow than Arkham's - Particularly if they bring back some elements of the first AC's combat.

Also, it would be easier to make AC combat work properly in an offline multiplayer arena, whereas Arkham Asylum's combat wouldn't really be workable in PvP.

i agree with JAHman28.. i think arkham has a better combat system as of right now.. i will have to see the differences between ac3 and arkham city so i can see which one is better

eSport82
11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I enjoyed all games of the Assassin's Creed series. They are definitely worth the money, entertaining and fun. But when it comes to combat there are a lot better alternatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n1Ma9LjaFU

I mostly agree with the video, I would however rate Die by the Sword a bit higher. Rune is the best pure hack and slash game, Savage: The Battle for Newerth has the best combat system.

If you're looking for an FPS game in terms of combat, then Quake 3 Arena has the best combat system by far.

Hatzego
11-29-2010, 09:22 AM
And do you choose a direction on the analogue stick?

Yes.

BluePanda559
11-29-2010, 09:46 AM
I respectfully disagree.
this^
batman just felt so much more awesome because you had no weapons, but AC is a very close 2nd

assassin087
11-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Sure Ezio is now fast and superstrong but the ai is too easy. They have made the ai more aggresive. Now they have to make them more smart and make combat a little harder.

kriegerdesgottes
12-02-2010, 04:18 AM
I agree the combat is awesome but I have to say it is still slightly flawed. the fact you can't block the hits anymore on top of the fact that you can not possibly hit most of the guards without kicking them gets downright annoying. It's an amazing start don't get me wrong but it just needs a couple adjustments. that's just my opinion.