PDA

View Full Version : I have never flown so well in my life.

PBNA-Boosher
02-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I started up a full real Eastern Front Yak campaign for myself tonight. I'm flyin the Yaks all the way through, and the Yak-1 and 1b for the majority of the war. But I flew differently tonight....

I only did one thing different than I normally do, it seems to be significant. Of course the starting date was June 22nd, 1941, and as I took off on border patrol I saw the incoming 110's and 109's. I turned myself and my flight toward them and began the long climb to fight for the motherland.

I don't know whether any of you do this, but I have picture of the 3 people I love (long story behind that) sitting on my desk, and as I climbed to combat, I looked at the photograph. The experience was almost surreal. My "in Flight music" is Eloi from the Time Machine Soundtrack, and that added to it...

For a moment I forgot I was playing a game. These pictures were in the cockpit with me, the music was in my head. Finally reaching altitude I let off a burst of fire with my friend's pictures boring into my mind. They were a constant thought, I never let them go. I twisted and turned, I barely remember what I did. I wish I had recorded a track. By the end of the brawl I had shot down 2 Bf-110's, one solely w/ my Yak-1's MG's, and 4 kills, 3 110's and 1 109 were stolen from me, but who cares. Landing my plane, and coming to a halt on the runway just before the taxiway, I saw two dots in the air and the rear one had red tracer fire, lots of it.... I realized that there was a Bf-110 on the tail of my wingy. Again my friends burst into my head, these people I love, these people I trust more than any person in the world, more than my own biological parents. Heck, these 3 friends ARE pretty much like parents for me. Even though their pictures didn't speak, I could feel what they wanted me to do. So with no runway left, I floored the throttle and took off bumpily to chase the 110 and break it off my wingy. I clicked my trigger, and I discovered that I was out of ammo, but that couldn't stop me, my wingy was in danger, and I had to save him. So I flew directly on top of the Bf-110, causing the AI pilot to do what the AI normally does, panic. The 110 pilot pulled off my wingy's six and headed for home, with no guns, I stayed below him to make sure his rear gunner didn't hit me, but I kept pressure on him, I drew him right over my airfield and let the AAA guns rip him to shreds.

THAT IS IMMERSION. But yet again, I could not have done what I did without the feeling I recieve every time I look at these photos of my friends. I forgot about greed and getting as many kills as possible. It annoyed me that my flyers were going after targets that I had wounded instead of the real threats, but nonetheless, my duty to them was most important, as was my duty to my friends to stay alive, just to be able to see them one last time....

I'll be posting this in the story thread as well, but I thought it could serve as an example:

Love makes us do things we never thought possible, even if it's as cheesy as keeping a wingman alive in a virtual combat situation. Don't underestimate it.

PBNA-Boosher
02-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I started up a full real Eastern Front Yak campaign for myself tonight. I'm flyin the Yaks all the way through, and the Yak-1 and 1b for the majority of the war. But I flew differently tonight....

I only did one thing different than I normally do, it seems to be significant. Of course the starting date was June 22nd, 1941, and as I took off on border patrol I saw the incoming 110's and 109's. I turned myself and my flight toward them and began the long climb to fight for the motherland.

I don't know whether any of you do this, but I have picture of the 3 people I love (long story behind that) sitting on my desk, and as I climbed to combat, I looked at the photograph. The experience was almost surreal. My "in Flight music" is Eloi from the Time Machine Soundtrack, and that added to it...

For a moment I forgot I was playing a game. These pictures were in the cockpit with me, the music was in my head. Finally reaching altitude I let off a burst of fire with my friend's pictures boring into my mind. They were a constant thought, I never let them go. I twisted and turned, I barely remember what I did. I wish I had recorded a track. By the end of the brawl I had shot down 2 Bf-110's, one solely w/ my Yak-1's MG's, and 4 kills, 3 110's and 1 109 were stolen from me, but who cares. Landing my plane, and coming to a halt on the runway just before the taxiway, I saw two dots in the air and the rear one had red tracer fire, lots of it.... I realized that there was a Bf-110 on the tail of my wingy. Again my friends burst into my head, these people I love, these people I trust more than any person in the world, more than my own biological parents. Heck, these 3 friends ARE pretty much like parents for me. Even though their pictures didn't speak, I could feel what they wanted me to do. So with no runway left, I floored the throttle and took off bumpily to chase the 110 and break it off my wingy. I clicked my trigger, and I discovered that I was out of ammo, but that couldn't stop me, my wingy was in danger, and I had to save him. So I flew directly on top of the Bf-110, causing the AI pilot to do what the AI normally does, panic. The 110 pilot pulled off my wingy's six and headed for home, with no guns, I stayed below him to make sure his rear gunner didn't hit me, but I kept pressure on him, I drew him right over my airfield and let the AAA guns rip him to shreds.

THAT IS IMMERSION. But yet again, I could not have done what I did without the feeling I recieve every time I look at these photos of my friends. I forgot about greed and getting as many kills as possible. It annoyed me that my flyers were going after targets that I had wounded instead of the real threats, but nonetheless, my duty to them was most important, as was my duty to my friends to stay alive, just to be able to see them one last time....

I'll be posting this in the story thread as well, but I thought it could serve as an example:

Love makes us do things we never thought possible, even if it's as cheesy as keeping a wingman alive in a virtual combat situation. Don't underestimate it.

kiddknapp59
02-02-2005, 05:39 PM
I always fly better if I have a friend watching over my shoulder.
Eloi is a great piece of music.

Lucius_Esox
02-02-2005, 05:51 PM
That my man was "an experience" This world we inhabit is emotion driven on every level!!

GT182
02-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Things like that Boosher make ya feel a part of it all. "And you were there", to coin a phrase. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

faustnik
02-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah PF immersion is great. I've never gotten as involved as you Boosher but, I did yell "F*** you sucker" at a particularly annoying AI Spit I had just flamed once. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just don't get too involved.

VW-IceFire
02-02-2005, 06:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by faustnik:
Yeah PF immersion is great. I've never gotten as involved as you Boosher but, I did yell "F*** you sucker" at a particularly annoying AI Spit I had just flamed once. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Just don't get too involved. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah...I've yelled at a particularly annoying AI a few times...I've even gotten a bit mad and went charging into battle with the guns a'blazing when the AI started ganging up on one of my wingmen.

But not too much more than that. I usually shake my head at the total lack of ability of some people online...but eh...thats people...people can't even drive their cars...nevermind understand something more complex http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Eloi is a really good track too. Although I like the "I Don't Belong Here" track better. Well composed soundtrack I must say.

p1ngu666
02-02-2005, 07:17 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

kameron1974
02-02-2005, 07:19 PM
"You god**** rat soup eatin'muthaf#%kas" usually comes out of my mouth when the AI gangs up on me. I scoff at people who play those XBoxs and P-Stations. I like that its hard as hell sometimes.
Tell me this?
The first time I killed a bailing out AI pilot I felt TERRIBLE! Anyone else?
haha.

PBNA-Boosher
02-02-2005, 07:21 PM
"I Don't Belong here" is a great song, I like that one too, but I love the singing in Eloi, it adds a dimension that aren't in most of the other songs except "Stone Language." It's both an uplifiting feeling and a humbling one. You can't help but feel your heart jump, you know?

73GIAP_Milan
02-03-2005, 05:16 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif don't deny it Boosher, you're addicted to the game...

Great story m8, if this game can trigger such emotions, i can hardly understand how it must have been for real back in the days.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif