PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide

dodgenath
12-30-2004, 09:55 PM
High all,
Happy new year everyone, i have a bit of a dilema,im getting a new system in a january, and still cant decide which GPU i should go for, basically its between the leadtek 6800 ultra or the sapphire X800XT PE (pcie). Im putting either of these together with an FX53 or 55 if i can get the cash, so its mainly the shader model 3 and the new water effects in PF that are making me lean towards the ultra. I know the preformace of the XT is slightly higher and the price slightly lower. Is it worth the extra cash to get the Ultra so i can use SM 3?
Ive basically made all my decisions for my new computer but this one remains the hardest.
Thanks
nathan

dodgenath
12-30-2004, 09:55 PM
High all,
Happy new year everyone, i have a bit of a dilema,im getting a new system in a january, and still cant decide which GPU i should go for, basically its between the leadtek 6800 ultra or the sapphire X800XT PE (pcie). Im putting either of these together with an FX53 or 55 if i can get the cash, so its mainly the shader model 3 and the new water effects in PF that are making me lean towards the ultra. I know the preformace of the XT is slightly higher and the price slightly lower. Is it worth the extra cash to get the Ultra so i can use SM 3?
Ive basically made all my decisions for my new computer but this one remains the hardest.
Thanks
nathan

civildog
12-31-2004, 12:57 AM
I dunno. I have an ATI 9800 pro and it looks great, I'd like better but I'm waiting to see if I go with either the AMD64 on a single card board or SLI anyway.

I guess it depends on how pretty you want it to. Except for the water my card makes the game look incredible and smooth. I can live without absolutely perfect reflective shader effects.

fordfan25
12-31-2004, 01:11 AM
i would go for the ultra. i dont know but iv heard that the 3.0 thing can be done on the ati's but i personly have no clue. if not then the ultra might be the way to go. iv seen the new water in PF and i would not let that alone make me lean from one card to the other how ever there is no telling what other games that are comeing out might do with it you know. i will say from what iv observed on not just this forum but others invidea seems to have less trouble with there drivers causeing poblems but thats just the way it has seemed to me. i have heard the ultras are very power hungry but seeing as your building pricey pc im sure youll use top line PSU.and leadtech makes a bad A$$ heat fan combo so i dout heat will be a factor. realy just flip a coin if you cant diside both cards ar so close in the Bmarks.

Owlsphone
12-31-2004, 02:22 AM
Those two cards are outstanding no matter which one you pick. If you mainly play FB, I would lean towards the 6800 just because with a rig like that you'd be able to run water=3. If you play many games, it is a toss up. Each card outperforms the other in different games.

Also, there are other games out there that have shader 2.0 support and many more in the future. ATI hasn't quite answered this challenge yet.

I do know however that the high-end cards are very hard to find sometimes.

So if shader 2.0 matters to you, I'd go with Nvidia. If it doesn't, well, I'd buy the card that I could get the soonest.

Oh, and some advice on the FX53/55...Go with the 4000+. Its a 53 model that performs the same as a 55 without being as pricey. Last time I checked you could save about 300 bucks buying the 4000+ instead of the FX55.

RocketDog
12-31-2004, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't let the thought of running water=3 influence your decision too much. From what I've seen here, even people with absolutely top-end PCs can't get decent frame rates at good resolutions using water=3. It seems to be great for screenshots but is not actually useable for play (unless you knock the resolution down to very low values, which is not really why you buy a high-spec graphics card in the first place).

Both are excellent cards. However, the general consensus from those who have used both the X800 series and 6800 series for IL-2/PF is that ATi's FSAA and image quality are a little bit better in IL-2/PF (I've used both a 6800GT and an X800Pro. I prefer the X800Pro).

So if it comes down to choosing between a card that can offer a feature you can't really use because it kills your frame rates, or one which will give you slightly better FPS and image quality, I know which I would go for. Of course, if you play many games other than IL-2/PF, then the 6800 series may be the better choice.

Regards,

RocketDog.

dodgenath
12-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know if the poor preformace in PF with water=3 is due to bad drivers or is it just too new for good frame rates.

BuzzU
12-31-2004, 06:24 PM
Water3 was made for future systems.

dodgenath
12-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info, any other sugestions???

fordfan25
12-31-2004, 08:10 PM
guys would he see on that rig much deff between a ultra and a gt?

Bearcat99
12-31-2004, 08:32 PM
If I had your rig and enough cash to be considering the upgrade you are considering.... I would wait another 6 months and add another few yards and get something even better. You seem to have a pretty decent rig now. The money you will spend on the upgrade you mentioned IMO would be better spent in a few months after some prices drop further. If you had a less impressive rig id say go for it now.. but with what you have.... you can wait a bit. I would wait to get closer to the BoB technology. You upgrade now and you may be wanting to d it again next year. Wait a spell and deal with the tech you have for the tech you are flying and.... but thats just my opinion.

fordfan25
12-31-2004, 08:53 PM
i agree with bearcat on this to be realy truthful. your rig now is a very good system. i would wait like BC said and infact plan on doing a full new pc in about a year to year and a half from now.by then 64bit pciE boards will be cheaper as will the class of cards your looking at now. but thats just MY opinion.

dodgenath
12-31-2004, 09:05 PM
thanks for the advice guys, but im not to sure i want to wait for another 6 months or so, I haven't seen any new hardware on the cards for the top end parts for next year, and im so looking forward to playing Lock on and the new addon when it arives in most if not all its glory. Pf runs really smooth maxed out on 1024*768 with no AA of AF and im resonably happy with it but id love to take it to the next step. I have the oppertunity to unload my current system for a decent price so i figure why not. Im guessing BoB won't be out for at least another year or even more, so that doesn't really concern me at the moment.
However if you guys were getting an upgrade and had to choose either the ATI card or the Nvidia what would you get?

BP_Zip
12-31-2004, 09:07 PM
I just put a computer together with a Gigabyte 6800GT. I picked that card because it's got such a good heatsink/fan, which when mounted in a system blows the warm air up, where it can more easily exit the case.

I got mine from ZipZoomFly. Newegg got most of my business on other components.

dodgenath
12-31-2004, 09:24 PM
BP Zip,
What are your other spec for your computer, and have you given water=3 ago yet, if so how does it preform? All i know is it is slow but haven't seen any numbers yet? Can't say i have ever come across a GPU that blows the air upwards. it is something that has always confused me with all the ones ive seen that blow the air down.
thanks

fordfan25
12-31-2004, 09:36 PM
o crude i forgot your building a full new rig lol. i though you were puting that card in the rig at the bottem of your post lol. realy it wont matter. in some games the ati will play a little better in others nivdea will play better.

HotelBushranger
12-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Alright, i asked my computer wiz mate, and he said can you find a 6800 Ultra Extreme? If you can't, then get the 6800 Ultra

Cheers,
HBR