PDA

View Full Version : Joystick recommendation for use with IL2

ShogunGunner
12-06-2004, 09:45 PM
I just got IL2. I know I'm late to the party - but I'm eager to start. My quesion is what joystick would you recommend for use in this game. I'm looking for one that has force feedback.

Shogun Gunner

ShogunGunner
12-06-2004, 09:45 PM
I just got IL2. I know I'm late to the party - but I'm eager to start. My quesion is what joystick would you recommend for use in this game. I'm looking for one that has force feedback.

Shogun Gunner

goshikisen
12-06-2004, 10:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShogunGunner:

Shogun Gunner <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been using the Logitech Wingman Force Feedback Joystick. It was alright when I first got it but now it definitely s&*ks. I've owned CH Joysticks in the past and they have never given me problems and it is for this reason that I am replacing the Logitech with a CH Fighterstick USB. I think if you plan on using this and other sims alot... you might want to drop the FF and go for a sturdy joystick like those made by CH.

Regards, Goshikisen

tenmmike
12-06-2004, 10:07 PM
the best ffb stick was the microsoft force feed back 2 but it is no longer made if you can find one get it but i guess it will be expensive and hard to find for a decent price ,,try e-bay

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
I had the MSFF2 but had to give them up after three glorious years because they were causing me to have problems with my hand (I needed surgery about a year ago and it aint getting better). I just bough a Saitek Cyborg Evo as a replacement. i was looking for something cheap but decent and this really fits the bill. Its well made, very inexpensive and I actually like it better than my MSFF2 because the force feeback was throwing off my aim.

tenmmike
12-06-2004, 10:43 PM
man my hand at the wrist was cut (across the top and half way down compleatly through the tendeons etc ) it took a yr of physical therapy a few surgeries but i used it as as a therpy device to help get most of my range of motion back ..i like the msffb2 a lot( i use it in combo with the x-45 hotas) i wish i had a back up msffb2

BuzzU
12-06-2004, 10:50 PM
How can the stick jumping around when you're trying to make fine adjustments be good?

tenmmike
12-06-2004, 10:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShogunGunner:

Shogun Gunner <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>we hijacked your thread bud ..if you can go get one that is about $30 bucks or more and one that is comfortable and has about 6 buttons or more, fly for a while after that you will know what you want and that first stick will last you about 6 months then you can get a better stick that is even more to your likeing , my first stick was a logitec digital wingman .very comforatable but only a 6 month life before the pots go to hell but by then you will have figured what features you want

tenmmike
12-06-2004, 10:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzU:
How can the stick jumping around when you're trying to make fine adjustments be good? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>hey buzz ! there are force adjustments that can be made in the msffb2 and wing /control surface buffeting was easly detected .. thats why its like a ffb stick you can feel the buffet but you already know this, why ya asking?

3.JG51_BigBear
12-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I actually find that the force feedback was really affecting the way I was flying. I guess its the difference between making it a sim experience and making a gaming experience. Now that I play almost exclusively online I kinda want that edge and I find that not having the force feedback increases you fine control over the airplane and really improves aim.

If anyone is interested, I have a MSFF2 that I took apart to reposition the hatswitch (for some reasons it was slightly out of place). I ended up cutting a wire and I just got pissed and put the whole thing in a plastic bag. For ten bucks and shipping I'd let it go for parts, or if you want to resolder the wire it should work good as new.

Kandiru-Aku
12-07-2004, 11:20 AM
That is commendable BigBear. I also sold a sound card here at less half price because i thought that making a fellow IL-2 pilot happy would be more important than a few extra on e-bay, esp that it was sitting unused.

May i reocmmend CH Flight Products for the ultimate experience.

Kan

RevvinUK
12-07-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm very happy with my CH gear, very durable and very programmable.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-07-2004, 12:35 PM
CH is the best...hands down. Look here: http://www.chproducts.com

Wolf-Strike
12-07-2004, 02:12 PM
CH is outstanding in longetivity but TERRIBLE in feel.The sticks have no resistance whatsoever.CH does it this way to give even more longetivity due to the fact that tighter springs wear out????

Now give me CH stick with cougar resistance and id be set and qwould by their whole setup but thats a dream.CH answers questions but for some reason I never have gotten an answer back on why they dont do a tighter stick.

Wolf

DRB_Hookech0
12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
I'd have to agree with the CH choice..I just got my Fighter Stick, Pro Throttle, Pro Rudders, and the new Trottle Quadrant. Once you get used to the way the gimble feels, you will be amazed at the very fine control you have. Makes carrier landings wonderful. Also the contoler manager was done by no other than Bob Church, who did the orignial Foxy software for TM of old. If you can do some basic programing, you can make these sticks beg for biscuts off the table...I swear.

I highly recommend CH products

ShogunGunner
12-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all teh feedback. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Based on some of your feedback, I think I'll try the game without a force feedback joystick. My new AMD system is being delivered tomorrow and I need to go out to buy a few last things for the new system.

Tully__
12-08-2004, 05:58 AM
Click on the "Joysticks & FB" link under my signature picture, it leads to an article with comments about selecting, installing and setting up joysticks in the IL2 series of games.