PDA

View Full Version : Saving and Trial&Error in Assassin's Creed

The_Sphinx
02-09-2007, 04:10 AM
I was playing Prince of Persia - Two Thrones the other day, and I noticed how much I disliked the whole "checkpoint" save system.

For those of you who haven't played it: you can only save your game at a fountain, spread out throughout the game. Allthough the game makes certain checkpoints between location of two fountains (so that you don't have to replay the entire course when you die) it's still quite annoying.

So, what would you like to see in Assassin's Creed? A similar system where there are fountains (or something, perhaps a tavern) spread out throughout the land and cities, where you can go at any time to save?

Or perhaps a simple press start - select "save game"?

rahul911
02-09-2007, 04:19 AM
dude..checkpoints r much better
cos den when u come back 2 d game agn, u'll have a fair idea of where you are..for eg, in splinter cell, half d tym i screwed up when i booted d game cos i din know where i was

noobfun
02-09-2007, 05:10 AM
personally id like to see it auto ave when your told of the next target and thats it so if you spend 2 hours planning some absurd and indepth escape and screw it up tough ^_^

WildDog9
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Simple 'press start' - 'SAVE GAME' at any given time

balmazer
02-09-2007, 11:47 AM
why not a mix have a "hardcopy" checkpoint that you can chose if you screw up

and the have a Oblivion style save thing so you can save.

The_Sphinx
02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
What's this, 122 views and 10 votes?

C'mon people, bring it on!

.eNDo.
02-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I voted press start.

Playing Graw on Hard I kept getting shot by elite riflemen while I was in the chopper. I mean as soon as I was able to shoot them I was already dead from a single shot to the dome.....it sucked because I had to watch a 3 minute cut scene until I can try it again....and wasnt able to skip it.

If something happens and I have to go suddenly I dont want to lose 30 minutes of gameplay because I cant make it to a urinal to save ya know. Just my opinion....

RetiredHatch
02-10-2007, 10:39 AM
A better example rather than the prince of persia save game type thing is the Grand Theft Auto (houses) vs Zelda(save game anytime)

which one do you prefer they're both free-roam games prince of persia isn't i dunno but i like Zelda better because well if i am in a spot where i can't get to a save spot and have to go it's just way easier to press start and quit y'know... so that might be best for this game all a matter of opinion i s'pose but the start screen screenshot i've seen doesn't have save game in the menu but it does say quest log maybe that means save ??

chewie1890
02-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I would like it if you had a journal or a log. Whenever you need to save and leave I think you should just press start and save, after it saves it writes down all the quests that you had recieved and what you needed to do and when you logged back on later you could just bring up your log and see what you need to do.

kew414
02-11-2007, 01:39 AM
I don't like the press start then save saving... I always forget to save, and I only realize that I should save when I died and got taken back 3 hours http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But, I think the press start and save will work better in Assassins Creed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

FableB
02-11-2007, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by rahul911:
dude..checkpoints r much better
cos den when u come back 2 d game agn, u'll have a fair idea of where you are..for eg, in splinter cell, half d tym i screwed up when i booted d game cos i din know where i was

dood...iz liek...saive gems r bedder! U no liek, wen u bead dit tuf boss and den der's no chekp0int and den sumhow u dy n den u'll hav 2 reply da whole level! Is liek...so laim!

Num3n
02-11-2007, 02:49 AM
it has to be save points because its not going to be the type of game where u go through stages like pop.. itll be more like oblivion i think..

CodeRed.slo
02-11-2007, 04:39 AM
I think simle press Start would make Assassin's Creed way to simple. Cause if you screw up somwhere during a mission you simply press start and load, and try to not make same mistake again. In my opinion the whole mission should be carried out perfectly without any corrections (loads)

noobfun
02-11-2007, 07:11 AM
id prefer the save at the start of a misson and thats it

chewies idea of the journal is pretty cool though, it just seems to fit together well in my mind

be hard as hell to do but would be good if the journal log described what happened in the mission reasonably accuratley kinda like he is retelling the story so you can flick back and re read past missions

WildDog9
02-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by noobfun:
id prefer the save at the start of a misson and thats it

chewies idea of the journal is pretty cool though, it just seems to fit together well in my mind

be hard as hell to do but would be good if the journal log described what happened in the mission reasonably accuratley kinda like he is retelling the story so you can flick back and re read past missions

I'm pretty sure it isn't enter the town and the mission magically starts. It's always available, that's why you have to track your target..

KnightTemplar45
02-11-2007, 08:28 AM
I think that maybe there should be both types of saves. I mean that maybe there are check points throughout the cities and stuff where you can save, and you can save at anypoint through the Start Screen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

noobfun
02-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by WildDog9:

I'm pretty sure it isn't enter the town and the mission magically starts. It's always available, that's why you have to track your target..

wha? killing your target advances the plot of the conspiracy, this we have already been told so killing in order is how its going to go

dont forget your missions are in cities(at least what we've been shown so far) so your still gonna have to track your target over a fairly large area. jerusalem inside the city walls was roughly 1000x800 yards fill that area with streets alleys markets buildings your gonna have to work to find a target in the crowd also there were many settlements and camps outside the city walls making for a larger area your target could be in

and what does this have to do with how you would prefer the save system to work ??

The_Sphinx
02-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, I've given some thought about it and I think the most suitable save system is the system used in Shadow of the Colossus.

In SotC there are so-called "shrines" spread out throughout the land, where the player can save at any given time. Loading a savegame from that point doesn't influence weather/time (like for instance San Andreas).

So in AC I'd like to see those kind of savepoints (safehouses and such), and for quicksave a "press start" system similar to Hitman.
You can save, but when you shut off the console those savegames are lost.

Looks reasonable, I'd say.

danny.b87
02-11-2007, 12:30 PM
why not save at your homebase or have sort of houses in the cities where you can save but yeah i also like it when i can simply press start and save the game but i think it gives a more realistic look to it when you have to go to you homebase and save there

ShockMister
02-11-2007, 05:26 PM
why not a mix of both so that when you enter/exit a city it saves you going in but you can also press start to save.

So if you forgot to save then you died it would just load you up when you came in and also if you could press start then if you had been messin about in a town for 2 hours and you were some way from the exit and you have to leave now then you can simply press start, save then go

A.B.O.Y
02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
i think a save when you want by pressing start/select but when you load its from the start of the place not from exactly where you where.

RetiredHatch
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Goose1994:
i think a save when you want by pressing start/select but when you load its from the start of the place not from exactly where you where.

like zelda

zelda's save feature let's you save progress but it doesn't save EVERYTHING so if you were in a dungeon when you saved and just got the hookshot and saved then you'd have the hookshot when you turned on your system but you wouldn't be next to the chest where you saved at

so if you saved when you found a clue in Assassin's you'd still have that clue (they did say you need 3 clues before you were allowed to assassinate didn't they?) when you turned your system on but you wouldn't be standing next to the big guy you were eavesdropping on or something you'd be at a checkpoint marked by the developers (the closest checkpoint to your location)

and these checkpoints wouldn't be little save disks floating around or typewriters(resident evil hehe good idea really) they'd just be points of interests like say that big bell tower in the trailer say if you saved standing in the crowd when you started your game back up you'd be standing next to the bell or something of the sort or at the entrance to the city also these checkpoints aren't places where you can save at either ...

i dunno sounds good to me

FaceEmperor
02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

that's realy good saving system, realy worked on zelda and hope it will work in AC too(if the saving will be like that) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

fromer11
02-27-2007, 09:47 PM
It should just have checkpoints near major events in the game, basically an auto-save, and then an option to save whenever you want(I'm thinking Jade Empire). This way if you forget to save your not completely screwed but if you have to leave the game then you get the luxury of not having to re-start everything you just did. Personally I'm not a fan of having to repeat things I don't want to, and in my experience in playing games sometimes you just have to leave when your in the middle of doing whatever, having that ability to save when you want is a no brainer to me.

XxKillabytexX
02-28-2007, 12:23 AM
I voted for Certain Checkpoints cause the game dose have a major thing with realism and that would make the game a bit more realistic.

But you never know they might invent some totally new way of saving that will be really easy and effictive.

The game is ment to be Next Gen so you never know.

FaceEmperor
02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Or maybe there isn't saving at all...
When u die, u gotta corpse run or something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif
And if there is time in game it woudnt make the time go wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

RetiredHatch
02-28-2007, 10:18 AM
People seem to be forgetting about how we are the ancestor remembering about Altair's journey (genetic memory virtual reality machine thing.... whatever it is....) and that makes saving whenever you want very realistic ... kind've like telling a story you can stop whenever you want and start right back where you stopped

Warrior-Persia
02-28-2007, 05:25 PM
i vote prince of persia style. i mean start and save is good but when its fountains you can really see how much youve progressed rather then just saving whenever you want. usually the checkpoint saves drive you to keep playing on until you reach the next save point so i choose checkpoint saving!

RetiredHatch
02-28-2007, 06:17 PM
how about if you really really have to go like to school or something i like to wake up and play some video games before i goto school gonna just leave your console on until you get back? ... yeap sounds good to me alright then...

left my ps2 on for 3 days because i didn't have a memory card once... heh oops... i was tired of starting my kingdom hearts game over... same with my dreamcast meh... it's really not good for the system...

Zealk
02-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I perfer the checkpoint system, it especially helps when you are telling a large story it ties the saving into the game. The only time I got angry with the system was in Ninja Gaiden, but then that game was just frustrating in general.

I think it would also help you explore the game. You finish a mission and then you have to trvel back to the bazzar to go save or whatever. Maybe you even find some new cool stuff on the way home, or try a side mission. Well I suppose it doesn't matter at the end of the day, I will let ubisoft make the decision because they seem like good people. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Warrior-Persia
02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by RetiredHatch:
how about if you really really have to go like to school or something i like to wake up and play some video games before i goto school gonna just leave your console on until you get back? ... yeap sounds good to me alright then...

left my ps2 on for 3 days because i didn't have a memory card once... heh oops... i was tired of starting my kingdom hearts game over... same with my dreamcast meh... it's really not good for the system...
and thats why they made memory cards lol

XxKillabytexX
03-01-2007, 03:34 AM
Or maybe there isn't saving at all...
When u die, u gotta corpse run or something
And if there is time in game it woudnt make the time go wrong.

o...k

RetiredHatch
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Warrior-Persia:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RetiredHatch:

and thats why they made memory cards lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was used to n64 and sega genesis where i didn't need a memory card http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif those were the days... and now they're back with hard drives hurrah! even the wii has a 256 megabyte harddrive (really small http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif)

Warrior-Persia
03-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by RetiredHatch:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Warrior-Persia:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RetiredHatch:

and thats why they made memory cards lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was used to n64 and sega genesis where i didn't need a memory card http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif those were the days... and now they're back with hard drives hurrah! even the wii has a 256 megabyte harddrive (really small http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya that is really small!

Ebai1990
03-03-2007, 06:29 AM
it doesnt really matter either way to me... but i do hate when i die almost instantly after a checkpoint and it just keeps loading me up to die http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

but thats not a very big problem in my opinion so it really wouldnt matter to me either way

silverbow432
03-03-2007, 10:25 AM
i like the both of them but i thinm i would like to see maybe your ide out as your save n when exiting towns n stuff along those lines!

RetiredHatch
03-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Ebai1990:
it doesnt really matter either way to me... but i do hate when i die almost instantly after a checkpoint and it just keeps loading me up to die http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

but thats not a very big problem in my opinion so it really wouldnt matter to me either way

it is when it leads to you having to start the game over ... happened to me once http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif was terrible really...

Oblivion_XOXO
03-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Why not just have an Auto Save feature when you reach a certain checkpoint

RetiredHatch
03-04-2007, 11:30 AM
because this game isn't linear... it's a sandbox game and that makes no sense in that scenario...

Oblivion_XOXO
03-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Than if this is not possible then they should just have start then save

danny.b87
03-04-2007, 12:03 PM
they should make it the way ubisoft wants it
i think it will be fine
if its in there you cant take it out

Oblivion_XOXO
03-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I totally agree, but it's ok to get opinions from others about what they think....ya Know http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

RetiredHatch
03-04-2007, 03:42 PM
that's true whatever way they decide to do it will be the best choice for the game because they will choose the best option because they know what they're doing but it's fun to speculate...

Oblivion_XOXO
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Of course, I totally agree with you both http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif