PDA

View Full Version : Fw190 Dora question

GH_Klingstroem
12-15-2008, 05:05 AM
The Fw190A all have the radial engine that makes it very tough to bring down, pretty much like the P47 (exept for its small bug). However the Fw190D had an inline engine. How come its engine is soooomuch tougher than, say the DB605s or the Merlins?!
Were the Fw190Ds more armoured around the engine!? Otherwise I see no reason why the engine area should be as tough as a radial...
Anyone?!

JG53Frankyboy
12-15-2008, 05:20 AM
you mean in game ?
if yes, well, there are different programming standards in DM modelling in game - thats at least my opinion.............

Kocur_
12-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by GH_Klingstroem:
Were the Fw190Ds more armoured around the engine!? Otherwise I see no reason why the engine area should be as tough as a radial...
Anyone?!

More armoured? Never heard of any armour around Merlin od DB 605 and Fw 190D did not have armoured engine either. What it had armoured - as opposed to any other fighter - was collant and oil radiators. Also since those were in the nose, chances of hitting cooling installation from behind were extremely low. There was also no piping in the airframe.

TX-Gunslinger
12-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Klingstroem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

While I have no test/ballistic data or charts, I wonder if the fact that it utilized a heavier bomber engine had any effect.

Kurt Tank wanted a DB, but had to use a Junkers Jumo, which is a much heavier duty engine - with respect to block, valve covers etc... Much more like a tractor engine than a Ferrari.

Perhaps the combination of the armor mentioned by Kocur and the heavy duty construction produces the effect you describe.

All speculation on my part.

S~

Gunny

Xiolablu3
12-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Yeah was about to write the same thing as Gunslinger, it was originally a heavy bomber engine.

Possibly that makes a difference?

(Even thou I guess the merlin was a heavy bomber engine too?)

JG53Frankyboy
12-15-2008, 10:34 AM
DB605A
cylinder capacity 35,7l
weihgt 720kg
startleistung 1475HP at 2800rpm

DB603A
cc 44,5l
weight 910kg
startleistung 1750HP at 2700rpm

Jumo 213A
cc 35l (!)
weight 920kg
startleistung 1750 at 3250rpm

the Jumo213 was a very komplex engine, and it got its power over the engine rpm...... not bad for a "traktor" i guess.

Brain32
12-15-2008, 10:56 AM
The Fw190A all have the radial engine that makes it very tough to bring down, pretty much like the P47 (exept for its small bug). However the Fw190D had an inline engine. How come its engine is soooomuch tougher than, say the DB605s or the Merlins?!
Anyone?!

Tougher???? I don't think so. Jumo is not one inch tougher than Merlin and once hit it will die waaaaaay sooner, however Jumo is tougher than DB605, but then again I can't imagine what would be weaker than DB's...fatal collision with the cloud?

FatCat_99
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Anyone?!

One .50 cal bullet at right place is enough to stop Dora's engine. You will be surprised when I tell you that P-51 have tougher engine than Dora. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

FC