PDA

View Full Version : Very distant patrol-regions... ignore, or?

Wyrmo
10-21-2005, 06:38 AM
In my last patrol I was told to patrol CA56, just south east of New York City.
I ended up sneaking into New York harbor, taking out two small tankers, a C3 and two small merchants in the port, as well as 4 destroyers and a torpedo-boat on the way in. (I had a lot of torps and not much fuel, so I figured I could waste some)

In my current patrol I'm told to patrol DB65, just outside the Florida coastline...
I mean, I have to crawl to get there without using up all my fuel, and I can't stay very long with the fuel I have. Feels like a waste of my valuable time as a sub-captain which could be spent patrolling more nearby regions with at least as much traffic.

How do you guys do when you get missions to regions far far away?

Dominicrigg
10-21-2005, 06:49 AM
I always do the missions because i am a bit of a nerdy roleplayer (lol) and in real life a captian would have to do the mission proposed.

**History bit**

The leaders in base (BDU) would plot where uboats were needed and send them around the map, if one uboat decided "hey i will go to liverpool instead" they could end up with 2 boats at liverpool and none in america sinking british shipping. This would leave a big gap where the british could (and would when they noticed it was clear) sail ship after ship through.

That said in game it doesnt matter, if you go you get 100 renown i think, if you dont no loss other then this. Also the war effort doesnt suffer ingame, so again its not important as there are no other uboats out there.

So short answer, if you want to be realistic, yes go where you are told.

If you want supertonnage of 100,000 then go where you want and hang around ports.

Tis up to your playstyle http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Afterall many find it a drag to sail all that way at 1024 time compression http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

ILikePortillos
10-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Very well and politely said Dom. I like to play the same style as you. I may be captain, but I'm the Kriegsmarine's b****. They're starting to call me Mr. West Afrika around the base. I'm thinking of getting a place in the Ivory Coast when the war's out. I'm on my way to CE-64 as we speak.

Gunnersman
10-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I try to do the patrol I am assigned. I am using the early version of the type IX right now. One can get to Norfolk from Lorient on the slowest setting and still have over half a tank of gas left. But any farther and I would have trouble.

Otherwise if I dont think I can make it with enough diesel to have an effective patrol I just use SH3 Commander to set my own patrol grid. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

bunkerratt
10-22-2005, 03:46 AM
i use sh3 commander..like gunner ..i set my grids..and my turn around time in port is 21 days...

Kaleun1961
10-22-2005, 06:16 AM
I've noticed sometimes that when I set my own patrol grid, that when I reach it I do not get confirmation of that when I check my patrol orders. This has only happened a few times. In that event I manually add the patrol renown to my Kaleun's files.