PDA

View Full Version : New to the game, some questions...

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey guys, just picked up the game after a day with the demo. I totally love this game. Still got a lot to learn about flying!

Some of the things i noticed...

Some of the firepower seems a bit too weak on some planes. (i haven't patched yet) I've done some quick battles with a FW190 trying to shoot down some random 4 engine bombers... I'd run out of ammo before i could even do any significant damage. I'm trying to shoot the engine or to break the wings off. Direct cannon hits on the wings/engine... really tough! What's up with dat?

Are there mods for this? I'd love to fly the Stuka, and some American planes...

Where can i learn more about propeler pitch?

that's all i can think of for now....

~Pawel "PolishPaul"

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey guys, just picked up the game after a day with the demo. I totally love this game. Still got a lot to learn about flying!

Some of the things i noticed...

Some of the firepower seems a bit too weak on some planes. (i haven't patched yet) I've done some quick battles with a FW190 trying to shoot down some random 4 engine bombers... I'd run out of ammo before i could even do any significant damage. I'm trying to shoot the engine or to break the wings off. Direct cannon hits on the wings/engine... really tough! What's up with dat?

Are there mods for this? I'd love to fly the Stuka, and some American planes...

Where can i learn more about propeler pitch?

that's all i can think of for now....

~Pawel "PolishPaul"

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi,

Welcome aboard.

New to Il-2 or Il-2 FB?

If the former, I think you need to install the patches to get the Stuka but I don't think there are any US planes for Il-2.

For Il-2 FB, you can fly a Stuka, P-51D or P-47.

Cheers,
Norris

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 05:51 PM
I'm new to IL-2, haven't gotten FB yet.

~PolishPaul

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 05:57 PM
NorrisMcWhirter wrote:
-
- For Il-2 FB, you can fly a Stuka, P-51D or P-47.

P51? Not quite yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.su27flanker.flyer.co.uk/spitire.jpg

~ Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX LF

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Give yourself some time to get used to it. Before any QC or campaign mission go into the realism settings and compensate for lack of experience with the sim. As an example try unlimited ammo. Until you get shot down you could have more time in the air learning how to attack.

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Pawel,

As per arcadeace (previous post), start out with the easiest settings and work your way up. The main reason you're probably having such a hard time is the realistic gunnery. It took me a few dozen missions before I got used to it. Even then I admit that I often "cheat" using realistic gunnery when going up against bombers but turning it off against fighters.

I've learned the tricks of hitting bombers close up and in the weak points.

But I still find that enemy fighters are so nimble and spend little time in my sights that I compensate by non-realistic gunnery. In that case, the emphasis is on maneuverability.

The more realistic simmers might frown on that, but hey, it is a game after all... and still mighty challenging. Good luck!

Matt

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 06:38 PM
oh yeah, i've tried unlimited ammo for practice...

i dunno.. i'm no expert yet, but i've got things under control. i can get right on their tails and blast em... but like i said... multiple cannon hits in the wing won't bring them down... is that part of the game? i see the impacts. i'm flying pretty level so its a nice barrage of cannons on the wing/engine.

I'll definetly practice and practice some more... I've been actually practicing by doing campaign missions. Once i'm fed up with the mission for the day, i do some target practice on QMB.

I do find strafing very challenging!! haven't crashed that many times since... windows 98! (j/k) yeah... so anyway... can't wait to get off work then school, so i can spark up my Jabo's engine and climb high up to 420 altitude! ;-)

~PolishPaul

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Try shooting down the He-111. Hits on the wings cause bad fuel leaks or you can smoke an engine or blow it off fairly easily. Stukas are fun to shoot down too.

You have to learn how to approach the bombers. Flying up behind one and 'parking' there gets you a well-deserved face full of lead. Swoop down on them, slash in from the sides or attack from the front. This limits the time that you are exposed to their guns. Give them a chance to shoot at you and they will rip you apart.

P.S. Get FB. A lot more fun more planes to fly and crash in! They will be adding the B-17 as an AI plane in the next update (to be out this month????)

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Are you using only the FW190 MG or both the MG and Cannon? Accurate cannon fire should bring down a bomber pretty quickly.

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Pawel

A couple of things:

1) What you see as "hits" are default indicators that your bullets are striking something but are a bit deceptive as to damage. It seems one may not be causing much damage at all and the bullets may be (?) just bouncing off. The realistic settings does that.

2) I aim for the engines (on multiple engine planes) and that does well for bombers. Otherwise lucky hits to wing joints or anything else I can hit!

Matt

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 07:59 PM
From a almost-still-newbie,

Understand that you will be able to destroy bombers. Just not yet, but later after much practice.

In training I personally fly with unlimited ammo if my focus is on dogfighting/attacking bombers.

I like flying high above a bomber, then I dive down shooting close between the fuseage and wing.

Shooting at the fuseage from behind won't accomplish much since there isn't much there but empty space. Hitting a wing at 0 elevation from behind is really tough. Like someone else mentioned, you need to be above or below to get a better shot.

Finally, these birds are heavy and can take a beatening (I love flying against them online!). Need to be real close and let them have it - only problem they are well defended. Learn your attack lines and use speed to get in close and out faster.

Once you get good please e-mail and explain it back to me so I can shoot bombers down too !

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:10 PM
hmm... i guess practice is always the answer... heheheh... i'm all up for that. i love games that challenge you so when you get good, its a giant accomplishment.

I have been hitting the bombers with cannons AND machineguns. seems like MG's do nothing.

thanx for all your help guys..

~PPPPPPPPPPPP

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:42 PM
just testing my sig

~PolishPaul~
aka MrFrenzy
"There is no right or wrong when there is freedom"

http://www.paziu.aza.pl/meo/orzel/18092001121526.jpg

<center>http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/images/mash_trapper.jpg (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/)</center>

Message Edited on 10/21/0306:46PM by thepolishpaul

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Pack your FW-190(A8) with MK-108 and see the difference. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Buzz_25th
10-22-2003, 12:11 AM
He doesn't have the A8 yet. He has an unpatched IL2 game.

Are you firing the cannons? The Fw190 should easily take out ant bomber.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th_Buzz
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/buzz.jpg