PDA

View Full Version : MYST IV - I/O DEVICE ERROR

mfilon
10-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Can anyone out there please help before I take a sledgehammer to my computer?

I have a problem installing Myst IV. Disc 1 installs fine. After inserting disc 2 I get the following messsage:

Feature Transfer Error

Feature: ***IS_STRING_NOT_DEFINED***
Component: English Data Files
File: D\Common\Data\English\Data.m4b
Error: The request could not be performed because on an I/O device error.

Have tried complete and minimum installation, waited until disc drive recognises disc before clicking ok, exchanged game for new one, made sure it was spotlessly clean etc. Always same story, disc starts spinning, light starts flashing in a repeating pattern for about 20 seconds before message pops up.

I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD (model SM-308B) disc drive with up-to-date driver. My graphics card drivers are also up-to-date and the system more than meets the minimum requirements

Any help or advice from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

mfilon
10-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Can anyone out there please help before I take a sledgehammer to my computer?

I have a problem installing Myst IV. Disc 1 installs fine. After inserting disc 2 I get the following messsage:

Feature Transfer Error

Feature: ***IS_STRING_NOT_DEFINED***
Component: English Data Files
File: D\Common\Data\English\Data.m4b
Error: The request could not be performed because on an I/O device error.

Have tried complete and minimum installation, waited until disc drive recognises disc before clicking ok, exchanged game for new one, made sure it was spotlessly clean etc. Always same story, disc starts spinning, light starts flashing in a repeating pattern for about 20 seconds before message pops up.

I have a Samsung CDRW/DVD (model SM-308B) disc drive with up-to-date driver. My graphics card drivers are also up-to-date and the system more than meets the minimum requirements

Any help or advice from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

maztec
10-05-2004, 07:45 PM
See this thread: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=1701057522&r=3821072722#3821072722

I'm near positive that your problem is related to those issues. More than likely that the firmware of your DVD reader does not support multi-layer data discs. It appears that some systems automatically assume dual layer discs to be movies, not data.

dogpenny
10-06-2004, 11:58 PM
I am having problems downloading disk 2 as well but mine is a different problem. I have a Dell Computer purchased last November. It is a Pentium 4 with a 128 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Graphics card with TV-Out and DVI for Dimension Systems. I get Disk 1 installed Wizard says to put in Disk 2 and I am asked to specify a path when I click on Browse to select the path the only path to appear is Desktop which has my Documents and other places I dont want the Disk to go especially when Disk 1 has already downloaded to Program Files if I enter Program
Files in the box I get a window that says"Set up could not find a file on the specified path or disk. Please check that the proper disk is inserted or specify a new path." How can I get past this point? Disk 1 took a LONG time to install should it take that amout of time to install?

maztec
10-07-2004, 02:54 AM
yes, it's several gigabytes worth of data.

use the pulldown menu you should at the very least see your local drives.

dogpenny
10-07-2004, 05:48 PM
There is NO pulldown screen when I hit Browse the only one that comes up is Desktop with all of its files. I can't get to Program files I made it once but still could not continue download. The window that comes up when Disk 1 is downloaded says "Please insert disk 2 that contains the file common\data\english\data.m4b" I insert the disk and it says to find the path this is where the Desktop comes on. I have tried to enter UBISOFT, MystIVRevelation and NOTHING works. It keeps telling me it cannot find the path. This is becoming not fun and just frustrating. I have tried entering the common\data\english\data.m4b and it cannot find the path either. I cannot get to Program files because like I said before the only files that come up are Desktop and Browse button I click the Browse button a 2nd time and it just stays at Desktop. HOW do I get this 2nd disk downloaded when I cant find the place to download it to?
\

maztec
10-07-2004, 06:29 PM
no need to yell

desktop->my computer->driveletter:

dogpenny
10-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Is that what I put when it asks me for a path for disk 2?

dogpenny
10-07-2004, 09:26 PM
I got the game installed but can't play it. I put disk 1 in. Click on the desktop icon and get a menu that says Read me, Uninstall, Play (disk 2 disabled) and Exit. How do I play the game if I can't get a menu that says Play without the disabled disk information?

maztec
10-08-2004, 02:59 AM
Put in Disk2 and it will show that it's enabled and you can hit Play.