PDA

View Full Version : The first signs of non-linearity? (In Console...)

Defuser
03-22-2006, 10:17 AM
From the IGN preview;

"With the current, very-early build that we've only talked about with Ubi, you'll be able to storm through the front door with guns blazing; you'll be able to rappel down the building and bust through the window guns blazing; you'll be able to find another more quiet entrance and go in guns blazing. The point is that you'll have many choices in how you want to eliminate the terrorists, all depending on your style of play."

More here:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/697/697508p1.html

Can I just say; THANK GOD (provided if this is what it sounds like). Looks like the console version is more open than first thought - I have to say this is a majorly pleasant suprise. I really had the console version pegged as a non-starter when it came to open and non-linear maps... But this preview fresh off the press at IGN seems to indicate otherwise.

Having said that, this is good news for the PC, is it not? If they are applying a forward thinking and non-linear approach to the objectives on the console, there is literally no excuse for not applying the same design ethic on the PC. I especially like the idea of choosing your insertion method (fast rope etc.) all performed in real-time - no cutscenes. Something I've always wanted in the Rainbow games is to be able to view and take part in the insertion method - GRAW (PC) will have first person fastroping, and this is the logical progression from that. Looks like we've got a degree of non-linearity already. Break out the champagne.

Malleus.
03-22-2006, 10:27 AM
That's a good sign but not enough (for a PC version). Some other points mentioned in the article are aspects that do not belong in an R6 game.

Relenquish
03-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Lets not break open the champagne just because it appears to be non linear. If Lockdown had not been released this news wouldnt even have been important to us. Just something we would of expected. Lets not pat ubi on the back for something which is so blatently obvious.

Anyway thats one hurle out the way, 1 000 000 more to go. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

KungFu_CIA
03-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I have some reservations about what the article mentions in they did not specifically state non-linear maps as a solid feature... Merely, the player would have the choice to rapel, go in full bore, or stealthy.

You can do all of these ROE's with only one, or two entrances if you think about it.

I also think they are copying SWAT 4 from the "save civilians lives more than shoot the bad guys" emphasis the article also mentioned along with the fact there will be fewer, but more deadly enemies -- Which aren't bad things per se, but it remains to be seen once the final game, or at least, more information like in-game footage and screenshots are released.

Defuser
03-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Of course, that's no reason to start screaming from the hilltops YET, but it marks a step in the right direction. What I mean is that it is generally an accepted marketing strategy that the markets for the console and the PC version are substantially different. By all means I am pleased that the console players are getting SOME degree of non-linearity, but I strongly suspected that their release would be substantially scaled back in its degree of non-linearity, if it had any at all.

If anything, this news tells us that you can go in through different entrances, in differing methods - it tells us nothing of 'tactics' per se, however.

This is good for us in that it demonstrates that the engine has at least some capability for non-linearity AND it means that they can emphasise and expand this capacity for the PC version. It is a step in the right direction. It is good news. That is all.

Relenquish
03-22-2006, 11:49 AM
This is good for us in that it demonstrates that the engine has at least some capability for non-linearity AND it means that they can emphasise and expand this capacity for the PC version. It is a step in the right direction. It is good news. That is all.

I see it more of good news that it is an avoidance of bad news. Had it been linear I would of started worrying. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by KungFu_CIA:
rticle also mentioned along with the fact there will be fewer, but more deadly enemies

If thats true thats something I am happy about. I just hope by "more deadly" they mean decent AI and not just pushing up the enemies accuracy and reflexs to unrealistic ammounts.

At the same time, your squad mates will offer their own opinions and advice about the best ways to handle situations in order to help you along.

I sure hope this isnt inclued, or can be turned off for the PC version. I'm team leaders ill decide waht i want to do. If i want us to walk of a cliff thats what we will do. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Deosl
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Seems like they just copied the press release & EGM article and mixed it to me :z

Bottom line, nothing new.

O_SHOGTUK_O
03-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Dont be so optimistic though. Let me explain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Customers can complaign all they want but unless the product designer actually understands what they mean, it does not matter. What i mean by this: People complained that the levels are linear and are the same each time. Dev's may not actually understand exactly what this complaint means. What they have done stikes me as trying to cater for the complaint but not actually solving the problem. Now we have three ways of completing a mission... Not the infinite amount we wanted. Basically i think it may still be a bit linear but hey, at least not as much as lockdown.

True freedom would mean allowing you to abseil/'rappel' on any wall/use features/abilities at any place/window/door etc. This would mean that routes and gameplans would be unused by some players (a game that compliments a good imagination). 'console type' fans get excited by gimmicks (OMG you can dive throuh a window), they do it fifty times then its just a bland as the feature in their last game. A game like splinter cell is simaller, many features but it linear as to where you use them.