PDA

View Full Version : The phrase: Leap of Faith



cless711
08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
After I have played the first game of AC I started to hear more and more people use the phrase: Leap of Faith. So did AC come up with it or did it originate from somewhere else?

Krayus Korianis
08-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by cless711:
After I have played the first game of AC I started to hear more and more people use the phrase: Leap of Faith. So did AC come up with it or did it originate from somewhere else?

It was mentioned in the first AC game... Al Mualim showed Robert de Sable how much faith the Assassins had in him by jumping from the castle.

Crouching.Tiger
08-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, it's a phrase meaning to believe and/or lay your trust in something that can't be proven with logic or science. It is commonly attributed to the Danish Christian philosopher Søren Kierkegaard (who lived in the first half of the 19th century), although as far as I remember he just called it "the leap".

odovoro
08-27-2011, 12:55 PM
also indiana jones made a leap of faith in the movie The Last Crusade

ANewOutlet
08-27-2011, 10:18 PM
The phrase "leap of faith" has been around for a long long time, but you're probably only starting to notice it now because the AC games made it more relevant to you.

RzaRecta357
08-28-2011, 01:30 AM
And where else did you hear this?


Haha, did you hear it on Inception and then come post here?

LightRey
08-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Hasn't it always been a pretty common phrase? I mean, I'm from the Netherlands and I knew of it before AC1 came out.

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Me too.

Interesting to hear where it came from, though, thanks Crouching.Tiger!

odovoro
08-28-2011, 02:39 AM
i think this should give you more than enough information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_of_faith

cless711
09-01-2011, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
And where else did you hear this?


Haha, did you hear it on Inception and then come post here?

XD no no, I heard it on a couple of Let's Plays and some radio commercials so i started to wonder when the phrase originated.

And thanks for the info everyone :P

CRUDFACE
09-01-2011, 02:55 AM
It just means take a chance on only the smallest of hope. It's been around for a while. Like Older than dirt while.

kriegerdesgottes
09-01-2011, 03:15 AM
It actually comes from real life history when Assassin leaders would entertain kings or guests and the assassin leder would claim his men would die for them at a seconds notice and he would wave to his men to jump to their deaths and they would do it for the king's entertainment simply because the assassin leader said so.

CRUDFACE
09-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
It actually comes from real life history when Assassin leaders would entertain kings or guests and the assassin leder would claim his men would die for them at a seconds notice and he would wave to his men to jump to their deaths and they would do it for the king's entertainment simply because the assassin leader said so.

Bonus point to assassin's creed for accuracy. Another point to the fact that as this is Ac universe, those men probably didn't die

so it really is older than dirt.

ghostferret
09-01-2011, 04:28 PM
I ran across a song, "Cape," by cowboy poet Guy Clark. The chorus made me laugh, it's so Ezio. It goes:

"He’s one of those who knows that life
Is just a leap of faith
Spread your arms and hold you breath
Always trust your cape"

blazefp
09-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Queens of the stone Age already used that phrase in their song "the lost art of keeping a secret"

CRUDFACE
09-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ghostferret:
I ran across a song, "Cape," by cowboy poet Guy Clark. The chorus made me laugh, it's so Ezio. It goes:

"He’s one of those who knows that life
Is just a leap of faith
Spread your arms and hold you breath
Always trust your cape"

That should be your sig dude! Can't believe how much it reminds me of him. the phrase is popular though and I'm happy when they drop the line in game like when Lucy told Desmond that.

ghostferret
09-01-2011, 11:50 PM
[quote]quote:
Originally posted by ghostferret:
I ran across a song, "Cape," by cowboy poet Guy Clark. The chorus made me laugh, it's so Ezio. It goes:

"He’s one of those who knows that life
Is just a leap of faith
Spread your arms and hold you breath
Always trust your cape"


That should be your sig dude! Can't believe how much it reminds me of him. the phrase is popular though and I'm happy when they drop the line in game like when Lucy told Desmond that.


It IS my sig, in my heart. I love every moment of bad***ery in AC, but nothing makes me feel like a hero more than that moment when I'm crouched on the tower and press R1-X, and the world is mine.

CRUDFACE
09-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Then you must've been really happy when you saw that thing in that trailer where Ezio looks like he's fighting someone in mid air.

did you like the towers then? Or are you more the type to like the peaceful moments when Ezio is sitting there, watching before he takes that leap?

ghostferret
09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Then you must've been really happy when you saw that thing in that trailer where Ezio looks like he's fighting someone in mid air.

did you like the towers then? Or are you more the type to like the peaceful moments when Ezio is sitting there, watching before he takes that leap?

I'm dying for the mid-air fight, but I like the quiet moments, too, like stopping to watch the fireworks over Venice after shooting the doge. Still, nothing to date beats Altair's leap from the cathedral in Acre.

CRUDFACE
09-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ghostferret:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then you must've been really happy when you saw that thing in that trailer where Ezio looks like he's fighting someone in mid air.

did you like the towers then? Or are you more the type to like the peaceful moments when Ezio is sitting there, watching before he takes that leap?

I'm dying for the mid-air fight, but I like the quiet moments, too, like stopping to watch the fireworks over Venice after shooting the doge. Still, nothing to date beats Altair's leap from the cathedral in Acre. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swear to god, I missed the pile of hay the first time I jumped off and ended up catching a ledge. It was one of those wtf moments that turned into an awesome, "I can't believe I didn't die."

In Deus Ex, there's this thing called the Icarus landing system. You can fall from any height without injury, covered in electricity. I had to get it! It reminded me of AC in a way.

Jexx21
09-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by t260z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ghostferret:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Then you must've been really happy when you saw that thing in that trailer where Ezio looks like he's fighting someone in mid air.

did you like the towers then? Or are you more the type to like the peaceful moments when Ezio is sitting there, watching before he takes that leap?

I'm dying for the mid-air fight, but I like the quiet moments, too, like stopping to watch the fireworks over Venice after shooting the doge. Still, nothing to date beats Altair's leap from the cathedral in Acre. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I swear to god, I missed the pile of hay the first time I jumped off and ended up catching a ledge. It was one of those wtf moments that turned into an awesome, "I can't believe I didn't die."

In Deus Ex, there's this thing called the Icarus landing system. You can fall from any height without injury, covered in electricity. I had to get it! It reminded me of AC in a way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, whenever I go to Wal-Mart with my father nowadays, I go straight to electronics and play Infamous 2 on the PS3. I love the abilities you can do there, and I found that climbing up the clock tower in the area of the beginning of that demo is so awesome, it actually reminded me a lot of the tallest point in Acre. And I could just jump off it, and use the electric powers to glide. That reminded me of the Parachutes from ACB, but you went faster. But in Revelations they are essentially taking Cole's ability to zip along those powerlines that go from building to building and making it into the hook-blade.

God, I wish that they made inFAMOUS for the PC. I would buy it in a heart-beat.

CRUDFACE
09-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I want a ps3 just for that! I wanted to play Infamous 2 so badly, but I only have an xbox and I had to buy another one since it was claimed by the red ring of death. I think you'd like it when Bioshock infinite comes out dude, they're having a more...mechanized version of the hook blade where you can ride the skylines, like one piece railroad tracks.

But you'll be able to ride up down, around and well, it'll be awesome. And it's s far up, you'll be surrounded by clouds.

I liked the parachute though and how you had to earn it. Please tell me you got that achievement, Fly like an eagle for Xbox 360 (or do you only pay on pc?) where you jumped off the Castel Sant'Angelo

Jexx21
09-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by t260z:
I want a ps3 just for that! I wanted to play Infamous 2 so badly, but I only have an xbox and I had to buy another one since it was claimed by the red ring of death. I think you'd like it when Bioshock infinite comes out dude, they're having a more...mechanized version of the hook blade where you can ride the skylines, like one piece railroad tracks.

But you'll be able to ride up down, around and well, it'll be awesome. And it's s far up, you'll be surrounded by clouds.

I liked the parachute though and how you had to earn it. Please tell me you got that achievement, Fly like an eagle for Xbox 360 (or do you only pay on pc?) where you jumped off the Castel Sant'Angelo

I only have a PC to play on, and it actually has the Achievements hidden in the options -> stats menu, and I have climbed the Castelo and jumped off with a parachute around 10 times or more. My most used path is just flying above the bridge, and then landing in the cart of either rose petals or cherry blossom petals near the start of the bridge.

And yea, I'm looking forward to Infinite. That reminds me, I need to finish up on BioShock 2. I think I'm at the level where the guy just asks you to clear the level of little sisters, either by harvesting or rescuing them.