PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with rudder Pedals and stable flight

RAF74_Raptor
01-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey guys I just got the new Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals and I am having a little trouble adjusting from the twist stick of my X52 to the pedals. What are some good settings to get the best out of my pedals.

rnzoli
01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
what is exactly your little problem? adjusting form twist stick to pedals often causes many little problems, several of them don't have anything to do with settings, so hard to recommend something useful without knowing what type of problem you have...

horseback
01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I went to CH pedals a couple of years ago, and I remember that the first few days were frustrating, to say the least.

Settings are very much a matter of individual taste, but my reading on the subject leads me to think that fighter aircraft (actually almost ALL combat aircraft) of that era were very rudder hungry; that is, they needed a lot of rudder input to maintain controlled flight. Simply put, at cruising speeds and above, it took considerable strength -altho that may not be the best word, let's say noticeable effort- to deflect the rudder to any great extent.

The game's default settings for rudder input seem to me to be optimized for twisty sticks, so I would recommend going low on the first few bars, like a 7-10-14-22 and so on, ending up at 100 for the last bar (for when you really need full deflection). This way, your rudder inputs become a bit more subtle, and you will become more conscious of how much effort to expend.

Modify to your tastes, of course. I understand that the Saitek pedals allow you to increase the tension as well, so you might want to experiment with that a bit too.

Regardless, stay with it. Pedals are far more intuitive than twisty sticks, and allow you to keep the one hand in the X-Y dimensions, with one hand free to manipulate engine controls instead of holding the stick base still.

cheers

horseback

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Use IL2-JoyControl found on the essentials list. For rudder set 3-5 as the minimum and 100 as max. Then just select linear or curved. I prefer linear but its up to you. Also is you use toe braking you might want to use 1 for min and 100 for max and set to linear. This is allow for gradual braking and you will eliminate those nasty nose overs when attempting to stop quickly before some dirty bastage vulches you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You want IL2 Joy Control for sure so dont forget to grab it.

Bearcat99
01-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Just fly.

RAF74_Raptor
01-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the quick replies

I appreciate the feedback

Now for more detail about my problem i was having a difficult time taking off in warclouds last night granted the weather was terrible but still

WWMaxGunz
01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
You will find just as with twisty stick, the best settings for one plane will not be
best for all.

Zoom2136
01-22-2007, 08:03 AM
If you fly a spit just give a litte right rudder when you take off...

Last knight on WC they had a couple of maps with a lot of wind (one was during a snow storm)... Get it lined up... roll a bit and lock you're tail wheel... ASA your tail lift from the grond give it right rudder (for spit) and drop flaps... at 120 kph rotate and take off..

SeaFireLIV
01-22-2007, 08:17 AM
You don`t give much info, do you, RAF74_Raptor?

EXACTLY what difficukty were you having?

I remember when I first started on rudder my difficulty in taking off was:

a, Kept getting my left for right mixed up. (kept using right pedal to turn left and left pedal to turn right.

solution: Constant practise, it soon becomes second nature.

b, The pedals were too sensitive for me, so I installed a program that allowed me to reduce this. Actually it was a driver for Ch sticks. saitek may have one. Now I don`t need it any more.

But really, take your time and practise. And if you have more problems, please tell us a little more of what`s happening in your particular situation.

rnzoli
01-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by RAF74_Raptor:
Now for more detail about my problem i was having a difficult time taking off in warclouds last night granted the weather was terrible but still

IMO no pedals will save you in case of bad weather. Tailwheel locking on take-off and landing is necessary for that.

By the way, part of the recommended conversion program is ground handling. Do some S-ing on an empty runway, alone, to practice syncronized use of pedal moves, toe-braking and the throttle. I remember it was all messy when tried first time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif, but nowadays, I can start S-ing already at the end of my landing roll, ensuring that I won't hit something on the way out.

About left/right mix up, go up in QMB, no enemy, and temporarily unmap aileron control from your HOTAS (kind of simulated aileron shot-off). Now, go and land your bird at the nearest airfield http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I guarantee you that no mix-up will be present after this exercise http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RAF74_Raptor
01-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Re Reading this post after coffee I realize I need to give you more info http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A. when I go to take off it seems A i am constantly overcorrecting and slamming into something

B. While flying if I get into a aharp turn my nose seems to always go down when I apply right or left rudder I know this is human error

what I am looking for is pratice tips I guess i want to know what you guys and gals did when you first got rudder pedals

BTW Saitek Pedals are sweet

II_JG1.Priller
01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by RAF74_Raptor:
Re Reading this post after coffee I realize I need to give you more info http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A. when I go to take off it seems A i am constantly overcorrecting and slamming into something

B. While flying if I get into a aharp turn my nose seems to always go down when I apply right or left rudder I know this is human error

what I am looking for is pratice tips I guess i want to know what you guys and gals did when you first got rudder pedals

BTW Saitek Pedals are sweet

Hmmn, this information will be useful when you try and "blow me out of the sky" this weekend. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

RAF74_Raptor
01-22-2007, 11:49 PM
S` Priller

First I have to get off the D**n ground

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rnzoli
01-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Your problem may be that that rudder, especially on the ground, isn't as responsive as you as used to with other controls in the air. I remember that initially I grossly overcontrolled the torque effects during the takeoff rolls, and I was happy not to leave the runway before lifting off. Straight takeoff was a miracle to happen.
There are 2 things to notice:

- rudder is quite ineffective when the tail is down, and speed is low
- during slow-speed rolling, augment your pedal movements with toe-braking for better effect
- due to ineffective rudder, we tend to 'overdo" the pedal input at the beginning of takeoff rolls, which later swings us to oppostite direction, which we struggle to compensate with an even strongger opposite rudder... perfect recipe for Pilot Induced Oscillation . If you notice osciallations, just force yourself to weaken/delay your desire for strong counter-action by 1-2 seconds, and you will be surprised how smooth your takeoff will be.
- the best way to avoid oscillations at all is 1) properly aligning on the runway before takeoff 2) knowing the rotation of your propellor and the torque effects it produces 3) trimming your rudder and applying pedal input in anticipation of those torque effects BEFORE applying power 4) applying power gently, e.g, I accelerate a little bit with 50-70% power, and when rudder becomes effective with increasing speed and tail is up, I increase it smoothly to 110% for the final part of the take-off run.

Here is what I did with my pedals when I had take-off troubles:

1) I increase the tension of the pedals, so it take considerable effort to push them to the sides. If Saitek has any ways to increase that tension, put it to max. You can control pedal force better than pedal position, this is why strong pedal centering force is important.

2) Practice S-ing on the runways and taxiways as I mentioned already. 15 minutes practice pays back, believe me. Do this:

IL2-> Multiplayer -> Create Server -> Dogfight -> select any map, any base with good or fairly good weather. Spawn and try to get to the runway, then apply ~30% power and do S-ing from one side of runway to other side. This will immensly help you to experience and recognize oscillation effects, and also how to stop them (or never let them occur at all).

HTH.