PDA

View Full Version : Does Ingame AAA Track You in a Straight Line or Curved in Zoom Climb Escape?

ytareh
04-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Anyone know anything about this?If you are escaping (more so fast firing)AAA does it just shoot in front of you assuming you will fly straight or is it smart enough to track you in a projected/expected continuous curved path?

x6BL_Brando
04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Dart has made a great tutorial film on exactly this subject. I don't have the link about me, but googling "Dart's page" should find it.

One of the clearest points is that a curving approach and/or exit, coupled with climbing or descending at the same time, will fox the AI gunner. Dart explains it much better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B

VW-IceFire
04-16-2008, 04:00 PM
They only track in terms of your present course. I find that if you're moving in a curve...particularly on multiple axis...they cannot track effectively. That doesn't mean that they won't hit you. Dart's video on this confirmed what I had already set out in my mind.

The AAA still works reasonably well even under difficult aiming conditions as the gunners are not 100% accurate, neither are the guns, and of course large calibre flak explodes so its an area effect. When flak is firing...you're never safe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wildnoob
04-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I forgot where I read this, particulary I don't belive, but can someone confirm if the player will be able to control AA guns on SOW ?

major_setback
04-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Someone posted a while ago that using combined elevator and rudder controls (flying a curve in 2 axes) fools an AI enemy on your six, and I must say that it works every time against AI. Not sure about AA though.

TinyTim
04-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Straight line.

It can be seen easily when you are pulling up from a dive in a halfcircle, with lowest point of flight very close to the ground. AAA will shoot insanely into the ground as the predicted impact point for straight line is under the ground, but for curved it isn't.

Xiolablu3
04-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
I forgot where I read this, particulary I don't belive, but can someone confirm if the player will be able to control AA guns on SOW ?

AAA guns can be seen being controlled by Oleg, on 'Mystic Pumas interview with Oleg on SOW:BOB'

rnzoli
04-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TinyTim:
Straight line. Theoretically yes, but let's not forget the bullet dispersion. This is why you CAN be lucky with a straight approach towards the AAA gun sometimes (bullets fly past left right above under), and also why it can shoot your engine out even while manouvering wildly.

TinyTim
04-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TinyTim:
Straight line. Theoretically yes, but let's not forget the bullet dispersion. This is why you CAN be lucky with a straight approach towards the AAA gun sometimes (bullets fly past left right above under), and also why it can shoot your engine out even while manouvering wildly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course. It makes me wonder what the distribution of density of hits versus angle from the centerline is. It should be circular symetric Gaussian (as is the case IRL), but sometimes it just looks like it is constant inside a preset angle (or circle at certain distance) for every weapon. If that's the case, then indeed, they hit you less often when you fly straight and more often when you jink compared to what should be the case IRL. Will maybe test when I reinstall the sim.

Oh, I hope upper babbling makes some sense.

Sirrith
04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
When flak is firing...you're never safe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Very true... I was cruising along minding my own business at about 9000ft and I notice a small black puff somewhere in front and to the left, but no other. Just that single black puff. So I keep flying along... then I change to external view because I like doing that from time to time just to admire the plane :P ....and my right stabilizer is gone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif