PDA

View Full Version : Snorkling and RWR

Darknest
10-09-2005, 07:19 PM
In late '44, I installed a snorkel, in a vain attempt to be stealthy, and found it a liability against air attack. Using it leaves me totally blind against them (and they're everywhere!).

Aircraft seem to zoom in on a raised snorkel within an hour of raising it.

Fine, they have radar, but why is my RWR not picking them painting me? I tried running ~8m depth so the RWR antenna pokes up out of the water, but I never get a radar warning unless I'm fully surfaced. The only warning I get is BOOM BOOM BOOM as bombs rip off the snorkel, flak guns, conning tower, and forward deck!

It's gotten so that I fully surface instead of using the snorkel. At least I can see them coming.

The Germans showed themselves to be very resourceful during the war, so I'm curious what sort of technical difficulties they had sticking a RWR on the snorkel to prevent getting jumped by radar-equipped aircraft.

Baldricks_Mate
10-09-2005, 08:33 PM
I too have had similar problems. The RWR seems ineffective. My work around is to raise the observation scope as well as the snorkel. Not fully but enough to clear the waves. The aircraft threat shows up on the navigation screen, allowing for a quick(er) response on my part. Not ideal but better than being blind.

paulhager
10-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Darknest:
In late '44, I installed a snorkel, in a vain attempt to be stealthy, and found it a liability against air attack. Using it leaves me totally blind against them (and they're everywhere!).

Aircraft seem to zoom in on a raised snorkel within an hour of raising it.

Fine, they have radar, but why is my RWR not picking them painting me? I tried running ~8m depth so the RWR antenna pokes up out of the water, but I never get a radar warning unless I'm fully surfaced. The only warning I get is BOOM BOOM BOOM as bombs rip off the snorkel, flak guns, conning tower, and forward deck!

It's gotten so that I fully surface instead of using the snorkel. At least I can see them coming.

The Germans showed themselves to be very resourceful during the war, so I'm curious what sort of technical difficulties they had sticking a RWR on the snorkel to prevent getting jumped by radar-equipped aircraft.

The first thing you'll need is Jungman's sensor mod, which includes a fix for the snorkle. There is a link elsewhere on this forum - I don't recall it offhand.

Once you have the sensor mod in hand you should employ the tactic of running with both scopes up while snorkeling. I have a post on this forum titled The final (secret) mission of Bruno Stachel (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/3631059553/r/3631059553#3631059553) that describes use of the snorkel in combo with the scopes. (Note: it's on a Type XXI boat but the principles apply irrespective of the type.)

Typically, when snorkeling at high TC, you'll drop to x1 and get a plane spotted announcement. It's not uncommon for the planes to fly on by. I like to go to the observation scope and watch them. If they start to make an attack run, crash dive.

Hope this helps.

cuthy2k
10-10-2005, 01:32 AM
for the snorkel issue i tend to run at around 15m in my D2, that way the snorkel head is only sticking above the waves a foot at most. This lowers the cross-section so in theory it is less likely to generate a return signal for the enemys planes and leaves less of a wake when travelling at speed underwater.