PDA

View Full Version : The most insane dogfight ever...

Duckmeister
12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
So, I'm in the Skies of Fire server, and it's not-so early war. I decide to try out one of the russian planes, I think it was something like the I-16 or the I-118 or something like that, and I didn't remember that you can't pull positive G's. So, I'm flying along to the target, when I look behind me and see a Bf-109 coming in real fast, so I do a split S, only to find out the real horrors of this plane.

I start spinning all over the place, able to recover but only to come into a new spin. I finally get the plane straight, and the 109 dives from above me but misses as he's having the same problem. I climb up, and 3/4th of the way out of the climb my planes rolls over by myself, messing up my shot, and I see him flatspin downwards right besides me as I right my plane.

Then he decides enough of the boom and zoom, and starts trying to turn, only to have the plane kick over every time he tried to do something with it. I was having the same problem. I could barely fly straight with the thing, but anytime I tried to do anything it kicked over. Then, he dives for the deck, and I go after him (I have a much faster plane), only to find a Yak-1 (friendly) diving in after him. I'm able to pass the Yak who's trying to take my kill, and soon I'm right up on this 109. He starts doing evasive maneuvers, right on the deck, and I overshoot, and try to turn back into him, when ANOTHER 109 comes in and dives on me, ripping out my controls just as that kill stealing Yak forces the other 109 into the ground. I bail out, get captured, knowing that I had the moral victory of damaging that 109.

The whole time my engine was quitting out (because I kept inadvertently pulling positive Gs), one time even quit entirely, but it restarted okay. Nobody could get a shot at anybody, because we had no control of our airplanes.

Phew!

Prefontaine
12-26-2008, 12:10 PM
and I didn't remember that you can't pull positive G's

LOL!

LStar
12-26-2008, 12:18 PM
LIEK OMG

crucislancer
12-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Duckmeister:
So, I'm in the Skies of Fire server, and it's not-so early war. I decide to try out one of the russian planes, I think it was something like the I-16 or the I-118 or something like that, and I didn't remember that you can't pull positive G's. So, I'm flying along to the target, when I look behind me and see a Bf-109 coming in real fast, so I do a split S, only to find out the real horrors of this plane.

I start spinning all over the place, able to recover but only to come into a new spin. I finally get the plane straight, and the 109 dives from above me but misses as he's having the same problem. I climb up, and 3/4th of the way out of the climb my planes rolls over by myself, messing up my shot, and I see him flatspin downwards right besides me as I right my plane.

Then he decides enough of the boom and zoom, and starts trying to turn, only to have the plane kick over every time he tried to do something with it. I was having the same problem. I could barely fly straight with the thing, but anytime I tried to do anything it kicked over. Then, he dives for the deck, and I go after him (I have a much faster plane), only to find a Yak-1 (friendly) diving in after him. I'm able to pass the Yak who's trying to take my kill, and soon I'm right up on this 109. He starts doing evasive maneuvers, right on the deck, and I overshoot, and try to turn back into him, when ANOTHER 109 comes in and dives on me, ripping out my controls just as that kill stealing Yak forces the other 109 into the ground. I bail out, get captured, knowing that I had the moral victory of damaging that 109.

The whole time my engine was quitting out (because I kept inadvertently pulling positive Gs), one time even quit entirely, but it restarted okay. Nobody could get a shot at anybody, because we had no control of our airplanes.

Phew!

I think you mean negative Gs, which will cause the engine to quit on the I-16 due to the lack of fuel injection.

gorkyporky
12-26-2008, 02:07 PM
That happens when you first start playing this game. You will get used to it.

Freiwillige
12-26-2008, 02:10 PM
"Then, he dives for the deck, and I go after him (I have a much faster plane)"

There is no way that an I-16 can catch a 109E unless flown by somone not experianced cause once up to speed that Emil should have left you standing still!

Jaws2002
12-26-2008, 03:55 PM
This whole scenario should have been over in about 10 seconds if any one you had an idea what he is doing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

SeaFireLIV
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM

Phew!

Jaws is right. That fight should have ended almost the moment you went into your second stall out (stalling out once is survivable but not twice usually). The 109 pilot obviously didn`t know what he was doing as he abandoned his B&Z and tried turning. You should have made him pay for his mistake then, especially if in an I16 or most russian aircraft..

Also, this shows up another misconception about `kill stealers`. The yak that flew in onto your bogey was not a kill stealer since you were obviously having trouble taking on the bogey yourself. If I had seen an ally flapping about like that in a dogfight, I would`ve dived in to take out the enemy before he turned the tables on you - not steal but to kill him before he killed you. You should then have stayed back and kept watch for a second target in case it arrived which it did.

The fact you don`t know what plane you were in shows that you need to keep practising until you do.

But this is not meant to be harsh if it sounds so, we were all like this once. Keep at it and stay in the same aircraft. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ba5tard5word
12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Maybe fly the I-16 some offline to get the hang of it instead of jumping online with a tricky plane you haven't flown at all.

It's a great little plane, very maneuverable when you're lining up a shot, but you have to be used to its tendency to flip when making a tight turn, and you can't press forward on the stick without risking engine cut-out.

And it's quite a bit slower than a 109E...

Divine-Wind
12-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Yep. The I-16 is definitely not a plane you can jump in and play ace in without practice.

As Freiwillige and B5 said, there is no way an I-16 can catch up to a competently flown Bf-109, unless maybe the -109 is missing its engine and the I-16 is diving on it.

Obviously the 109 pilot was not the brightest bulb in the room (Sounds almost as dim as me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif) if he was trying to turn fight with an I-16...

Feathered_IV
12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
The type-18 is more forgiving than the heavier type-24. Maybe stick to the 18 for a while until you get a feel for it.
The Polikarpovs are still my favourite aircraft after all these years. Lovely little busses. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

RPMcMurphy
12-26-2008, 07:54 PM
That was a fun read, I hope you post more stories like that Duckmiester. I like that stuff.
Sounds like that plane was carbuerated. Sucks to be in that one.

d3wil8e1
12-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Good read Duckmeister.
Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Hope you post some more of your adventures. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Blue Skies~

Duckmeister
01-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Turns out it was a I-185, and I still am trying to hang on to the idea that I knew what I was doing, I was just having fun trying out a plane I'd never tried before.

And whatever yall may say, I am definitely not a new player...

But thanks for the good comments, I'll try to post some of my other stuff I've had or seen happen online.

And yes, I meant negative G's, but with that plane you also couldn't pull positive G's either.

Ba5tard5word
01-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Do you mean the I-153 biplane?

The I-185 is VERY fast and maneuverable, and doesn't suffer in negative G's like the I-16 or I-153. It's very easy to fly except for its odd gun arrangement and tendency to hit the prop against the ground when landing or taking off if you're careless like me.

Duckmeister
01-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Do you mean the I-153 biplane?

The I-185 is VERY fast and maneuverable, and doesn't suffer in negative G's like the I-16 or I-153. It's very easy to fly except for its odd gun arrangement and tendency to hit the prop against the ground when landing or taking off if you're careless like me.

Okay, then maybe I'm just totally in the dark about what plane it is I was flying, I just know that I was on the Russian side, it's not a bi-plane, and it's a short, stubby kind of plane. Sorry for being an idiot AGAIN.

JimmyBlonde
01-04-2009, 06:01 PM
LoL

This brings back memories. I didn't even know how to manually retract the undercarriage in the I-16 the first time I took one up so I tried a nice high-speed dive to break the things off!

The I-16 is a tricky little kite, it's like tap-dancing on an ice-rink in stilettoes when you first take one up but once mastered it can be a very rewarding aircraft to fly.

skarden
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

And yes, I meant negative G's, but with that plane you also couldn't pull positive G's either.

No you can definatly pull postive g's in that plane,even split S's are very possible with it after a bit of practice,the trick is that when you roll over you keep just a little bit of back preasure on the stick the whole time as you rotate through the vertical turn and the engine should be fine as the centrivical(?) force of the nose continually pulling up(relative to the pilots view)will keep petrol pouring down the cabatretor.
I can make a track if you like.

WTE_Galway
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:
This whole scenario should have been over in about 10 seconds if any one you had an idea what he is doing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif

It is probably pertinent to point out that Marseille achieved some of his more remarkable scores against the Luftbery Circle defence by deliberately slowing to a point that he would finish up spinning his 109 after hitting each target.

Though I doubt anyone in the combat described above has the Marseilles knack to consistently deflection shoot a full burst into the side of the engine and front half of the cockpit.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/hanstate.html

Major Robert Tate, USAF:

Starting at a point several thousand feet above the circle and displaced laterally a mile or so, Marseille would dive down below the formation and attack from underneath. There he would select one unsuspecting victim, line him up in his sights, and hammer one very short and deadly burst of cannon and machine gun fire from his aircraft. His aim was so accurate that he usually placed all of his shells from the engine back into the cockpit, often killing the pilot. After his firing run, Marseille would either slice through the top of the formation or stall the aircraft and spin down to safety. Once the full maneuver was complete, Marseille would set himself up for another run. By repeating this and variations of this deadly sequence, Marseille often shot down four, five, and six, aircraft in a single sortie. His movements were so fast that it was common for the unsuspecting allied pilots to think they were under attack by a large formation of aircraft.

M_Gunz
01-05-2009, 02:38 AM

Are you perhaps reading speed in KPH and thinking MPH? 300KPH is not fast, 300MPH is when it comes to maneuver.

Lack of speed is how to not be able to pull positive G's in any plane. That comedy in the first post tells of two players who were
flying too slow. Over and over each one pulled more stick than their speeds warranted, it is very plain.
Lift is by the wing (does not change except by damage), the angle of attack (stick pull or roll) and the square of speed. You can
only pull AOA to critical as maximum. Your speed is your most controllable factor in how much you can pull -- watch your speed!
If you can pull 4G's before stalling at one speed then 70% as fast you can only pull about 2G's before stalling.
The best way to know how much you can get away with is by practice without distractions. Get to know what a lack of change to the
same pull means. Get to know what losing speed means. Know those, pay attention and you will know you've stalled at the start of
the stall instead of at the start of the spin. There's a gap between the two that I can't say how many players don't even notice.

Duckmeister
01-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by skarden:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duckmeister:

No you can definatly pull postive g's in that plane,even split S's are very possible with it after a bit of practice,the trick is that when you roll over you keep just a little bit of back preasure on the stick the whole time as you rotate through the vertical turn and the engine should be fine as the centrivical(?) force of the nose continually pulling up(relative to the pilots view)will keep petrol pouring down the cabatretor.
I can make a track if you like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you perhaps reading speed in KPH and thinking MPH? 300KPH is not fast, 300MPH is when it comes to maneuver.

Lack of speed is how to not be able to pull positive G's in any plane. That comedy in the first post tells of two players who were
flying too slow. Over and over each one pulled more stick than their speeds warranted, it is very plain.
Lift is by the wing (does not change except by damage), the angle of attack (stick pull or roll) and the square of speed. You can
only pull AOA to critical as maximum. Your speed is your most controllable factor in how much you can pull -- watch your speed!
If you can pull 4G's before stalling at one speed then 70% as fast you can only pull about 2G's before stalling.
The best way to know how much you can get away with is by practice without distractions. Get to know what a lack of change to the
same pull means. Get to know what losing speed means. Know those, pay attention and you will know you've stalled at the start of
the stall instead of at the start of the spin. There's a gap between the two that I can't say how many players don't even notice.

Jeez lo weez, ever heard of a joke?!?!

I was just saying you couldn't pull positive G's as a joke, I don't know why most people in this thread are so serious, it was just a funny story, not a help me I can't fly thread.

My gosh, half the people in this thread congratulate me on my funny story, the other half are calling me a noob and that I don't know what I'm doing and then saying "BUT I'M JUST HELPING YOU".

The positive G thing was a JOKE! And now we have a hijacker with a history lesson...

I understand how a plane works, and everything, I'm an experienced flight simmer, I don't understand how making a funny story puts me in the noob category all of the sudden.

M_Gunz
01-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Maybe because that's the nicer category.

LStar
01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Shocking. Positively shocking.

skarden
01-06-2009, 01:31 PM
No-one called you a noob and yeah what a bunch of A-holes we are for trying to help eh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Duckmeister
01-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by skarden:
No-one called you a noob and yeah what a bunch of A-holes we are for trying to help eh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

But that's what I'm saying, I don't really need help, I was just telling a funny story. Sorry if you take offense to that... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

M_Gunz
01-06-2009, 04:00 PM
We have new people coming here all the time and sorry to say regular players who never learn better either.
Same time your funny story is up there's another new player asking the same basic things.
Were you making fun of that one? Is that your funny? Is it funny that new people read your story and think what of it?

There is an OT forum for jacking around on, btw.

skarden
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skarden:

But that's what I'm saying, I don't really need help, I was just telling a funny story. Sorry if you take offense to that... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well fair enough Duckmiester,I think the lesson here that sometimes something thats clearly suppose to be funny doesnt always translate into text,maybe a few smilies in there would help with that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif