PDA

View Full Version : Lots of duds

Sam_the_greek
04-14-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm having a bit of a problem here. When I fire my torps almost half of them just bounces the target and sink. Is there like a minimum shootingdistance or something, because this seems to occur more when I fire from closeby: say 300 meters. When I fire from 900 meters or so, they blow up nicely. Anyone knows?

Sam_the_greek
04-14-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm having a bit of a problem here. When I fire my torps almost half of them just bounces the target and sink. Is there like a minimum shootingdistance or something, because this seems to occur more when I fire from closeby: say 300 meters. When I fire from 900 meters or so, they blow up nicely. Anyone knows?

Lovo_Kasistan
04-14-2005, 08:37 AM
It's 300m and they have to impact at an angle of about 90? at best.

Supr
04-14-2005, 08:38 AM
300 meters is generally considered the min distance for them to arm. Also, sometimes they do not explode if the angle is too shallow. They will just graze off the hull. I personally use the mag pistol and set the depth for under the keel shots. That works for any angle of attack. Although, it is naturally harder to hit something coming right at you. especially when they know your there. Still, even if you do everything right, if you have duds on, you will have a few that do not detonate no matter what. Good luck

Jim0322
04-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Around 350 meters is minimum arming distance. I never fire at anything closer than that unless it is a stern shot and the ship is moving away.

If you use impact detonation, the angle it hits is very important. You want to hit dead on from 90 degrees, if you hit at an angle it is more likely to bounce and not explode.

Jim

lairdperkins
04-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Also, the bottom curve of the keel is modeled as well, so if your torp is running deep (more than 1 meter for small cargo and destroyers) it will often hit the bottom of the ship at an angle such that the impact fuse won't be tripped even if its 90 degrees off the bow. If you use the impact fuseing be sure to set the run depth shallow enough that you hit the side of the ship. Of course this can lead to a lot of misses in heavy seas as the torpedo pops in and out of the water and doesn't run as fast as the TDC calculated for.

The best solution especially with Type I and II torps, is to look at the keel depth in the recognition manual, set the torpedo to run one meter deeper, and use the Magnetic pistol. Yes, you will get some premature detonations, but overall you'll have a much better success rate from my experience. You also get the added bonus of only needing a single hit under the keel to sink even the biggest merchants.