PDA

View Full Version : Attention Upper-Midwest simmers

sunflower1
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
A boring forum and we're all getting older every day. Toad wondered aloud how often somebody dies and we never find out. Its hard to get around that given how we all interact using a tool that can't broadcast unless you're there to push a button.

I live in Iowa, towards the North-east part of the state. Anybody from places like Madison, Minneapolis, Des Moines, St. Louis, Chicago, etc. interested in setting up a weekend LAN party/regular party?

I have the space to do it and a computer that can host it assuming there aren't 50 people itching to do this. I am centrally located to all the population centers in the region. The interstate highway system here puts everyone in the cities mentioned within a 4 hour drive, excepting STL and that's nearly 5.

What say ye?

sunflower1
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
A boring forum and we're all getting older every day. Toad wondered aloud how often somebody dies and we never find out. Its hard to get around that given how we all interact using a tool that can't broadcast unless you're there to push a button.

I live in Iowa, towards the North-east part of the state. Anybody from places like Madison, Minneapolis, Des Moines, St. Louis, Chicago, etc. interested in setting up a weekend LAN party/regular party?

I have the space to do it and a computer that can host it assuming there aren't 50 people itching to do this. I am centrally located to all the population centers in the region. The interstate highway system here puts everyone in the cities mentioned within a 4 hour drive, excepting STL and that's nearly 5.

What say ye?

3.JG51_BigBear
02-25-2005, 10:56 AM
I got to law school in DeKalb, Illinois (how I miss being in Chicago) but I drive to Bentendorf all the time to visit friends of mine, how far are you from there?

Kupper
02-25-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm in Minneapolis, sunflower, and would love to get together for something like this, however I find it difficult to get in as much stick time as I want as it is...I can only imagine what my wife would say if I proposed some kind of road trip to "go play games..." Perhaps if she ever makes good on her occasional threat to throw me out... Hope ya get some folks together!

sunflower1
02-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Hiya Bigbear, I feel your pain on being in DeKalb!

Bettendorf is, unfortunately, cutting across the grain of the square road grid. Its not that far but there is no way to get here in a straight line. Figure its slightly under two hours with one stop. You'd go north to Dubuque and then west on HWY 20 about 40 miles.

Kupper, and all. I live on a wide spot in the Maquoqeta River called, rather generously, Lake Delhi. I've already thought about your problem because I've got those responsibilities too. Once the weather turns nice, the weekends are abuzz with people grilling and enjoying the lake. I'm open to the idea of trying to balance a LAN party with some cooking and playing on the water so its not out of the question that the better half and kids could come along if they're known for being able to entertain themselves given a few options. Of course bad weather would make all that a mess, so perhaps that decision is best left to each simmer. There is good trout fishing nearby and if you live in the sticks and don't get out to shop much, a decent mall by midwest standards is about an hour away.

I'm open to suggestions, including the idea that travelling to a population center would work out better.

Saunders1953
02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Sunflower:

I'm in Madison (WI). Are you near Elkader? My brother practices law there and lives nearby in
Garnavillo. Would this be a coop type deal or what? I'd be interested if time permits--but I spend so much time in FMB that my actual stick time has been lacking and I don't fly full real or online.

lbhskier37
02-25-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm in Madison too, going to school. But it's almost impossible for me to get a free weekend here. Where in Madison are you Saunders?

Loki-PF
02-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey Fellas!

I am definately in. I can safely speak for my wingy Fenris (who is currently on the road for work and can't type himself) That he would also be there.

We are both in the Mpls/St.Paul Metro and would be willing to take a road trip for the fun!

Just an FYI, my company is a software integrator, which means I have nice training rooms all set up with power and 21" monitors and wired into 100Mbps switches that we could use over the weekend. There are actually two seperate rooms that seat 8, so we could have a "Blue" room and a "Red" room for co-op type stuff.

Now I'm starting to fantasize a bit here, but just imagine if the patche were out by then and we had some torpedo bombers..... We could actually do some pretty cool pacific stuff!

Anyway, 16 people isn't a ton and I've got a hunch that this will grow *much* bigger than 16 but its just an idea I thought I'd throw out..

Loki-PF
02-25-2005, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kupper:
I'm in Minneapolis, sunflower, and would love to get together for something like this, however I find it difficult to get in as much stick time as I want as it is...I can only imagine what my wife would say if I proposed some kind of road trip to "go play games..." Perhaps if she ever makes good on her occasional threat to throw me out... Hope ya get some folks together! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kuper,

I feel your pain dood as a fellow husband and father with a demanding career. But just do what I do when the Mrs. starts making noise about "game" time. I only fly when the family is in bed sleeping or otherwise occupied currently, so I just look her in the eye calmly and remind her I could always take up hunting fishing golf and motorcycle racing again (like when we first met). She sees the light pretty darn fast..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Saunders1953
02-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Ibhskier: Howdy. North side. Work downtown. You at the UW?

sunflower1
02-25-2005, 02:56 PM
"I'm in Madison (WI). Are you near Elkader? My brother practices law there and lives nearby in
Garnavillo. Would this be a coop type deal or what? I'd be interested if time permits--but I spend so much time in FMB that my actual stick time has been lacking and I don't fly full real or online."

Elkader is not far, 35 minutes perhaps. Great, I spend no time in FMB yet, perfect fit!

We can do whatever people want to do as far as what we fly. Hopefully some of everything.

Loki PF! wow, okay, so maybe I am coming there!! Whatever works is fine with me, I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

I used to travel the region nearly every weekend to race my bicylce. A really long race lasted maybe 4 hours, most were criteriums that were over in way less than an hour. This seems like a better deal for sure!

FoolTrottel
02-25-2005, 02:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunflower1:
(...)
What say ye? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Fool says, if you really want to know what's goin' on with any VpIl2ot anywhere around the world, you would need some kind of a buddy system.
A system 'tracking' all members, by one knowing another, at least by exchanging phone numbers, and close relatives being aware of this.... no, not one database, but a chain..

Oh no! I'm not being negative about your initiative. No way! Keep it up!

Just saying, if we really want to know what eventually happens to fellow forum members....

On the other hand... how many people die, and we never ever knew... of whom we never knew they ever existed? What's the difference?

Never mind. The fool's just thinkin'....

Keep up the good work, get 'm together and keep having fun!

VF-17_Yankee
02-25-2005, 03:38 PM
S`

Rock Falls, IL here...bout 45 mins from Bear... i can probably make it a few times, depending on the exact milage, car isnt in road trip shape yet..but am very interested..

sunflower1
02-25-2005, 04:28 PM
The Fool is right, it'd take a buddy system. He's also right that its hard to make it meaningful. Baby steps.

Yankee, its not out of the question that somebody would be travelling past you, or nearly so and in my experience these little forays are better with company. Perhaps somebody else will feel that way too.

I'm making a list now. I can be contacted at sunflower@vtrocket.com, too.

3.JG51_BigBear
02-25-2005, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunflower1:
The Fool is right, it'd take a buddy system. He's also right that its hard to make it meaningful. Baby steps.

Yankee, its not out of the question that somebody would be travelling past you, or nearly so and in my experience these little forays are better with company. Perhaps somebody else will feel that way too.

I'm making a list now. I can be contacted at sunflower@vtrocket.com, too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its insane that people are rushing to drive four or five hours to a place we've never been before to do stuff with people we don't even know. For all each of us knows the rest could be friggin nuts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

By the way, Yankee you're right on the way. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif If this happens I'd be happy to give you a ride. Just do me a favor and leave the knife, hockey mask, and the bag you we're planning on keeping my body parts in at home http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif.

Seriously, I'm just joking, this sounds really interesting and could be a lot of fun.

sunflower1
02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
I used to drive hours to play with people I didn't know and we'd send each other to the hospital on occasion. Sometimes on purpose if the situation called for it! Then we'd do it all over again.

It was a lot of fun! Maybe flight simmers throw folding chairs at each other? Just a guess, I wouldn't know. Sitting in a room together with beer is probably more conducive to friendship than throwing elbows in a sprint. But again, I wouldn't know.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

BERNDT79
02-26-2005, 02:14 AM
hey everyone, im from Oshkosh Wisconsin here, attending school as well. Good to see some fellow Wisconsin pilotshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Since i don't have a car, a lan party would not work out for me, but maybe someday!!!

F19_Ob
02-26-2005, 03:06 AM
He he ...good show sunflower. U keep yourself occupied I see.
I envy U guys. It seems like a fun way to meet new friends.

Anyway....I just wanted to give a bump and wish good luck with the fun project.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LW_Icarus
02-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Im in Ohio, and my trip would be further, but I have a couple weeks vacation time saved up. would definitely be interested in doing this.

would be able to pick up and dropp off one passenger with gear, just set a date/time/place and Ill see if I can make it.

I think I also have a few fellow squadmates in that general vicinity as well who would be up for some Lan play.

thats funny,you were a bike racer, and I just saw some one with a colnago avatar, I worked in a bike shop for four years, had quite a few sponsored "grassroots" riders,use to work wheel pit at the wendy's classic here, and also liked riding centuries. kinda just burnt out on it all after some time though.

sunflower1
02-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Oshkosh, did you say Oshkosh?? We should be able to work out something.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Thanks Ob!! HL sometime?

If you live in Ohio you're probably familiar with Scott Dixon of PBP "fame." Most of the time I spent racing he lived in Iowa City. People who burn out on bike racing have something right in their head! Of course there aren't many 40+ year old guys who can ride 25 year olds off their wheel in a 55-11 while chatting about politics. That was one of the "moments" I won't forget- him lazily turning the crank at about 80 rpm at 35 miles an hour in a crosswind, talking. If you think getting vulched is aggravating.....try feeling like that when you're choking on your own lungs.

I wondered if somebody would have the time and interest to come from far away. Of course you're welcome to come. I assume it would be part of a road trip to see some other things. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area is about 10 hours straight north, etc. Any idea when you'd take your vacation?

Metlushko
02-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey all, another Madison, WI pilot here. I hardly ever play IL-2 anymore, I was just bored today and decided to jump on the forums to see what was new. I would consider joining in on this LAN action, depending upon my schedule.

T_O_A_D
02-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Hmm if I'd of never left Home Davenport Iowa I'd be there but its over 400 miles away now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I'm near Springfield Missouri and we Host LAN all the time here too.

sunflower1
02-27-2005, 03:02 PM
shameless bumpage.

TOAD, how do you schedule it? How many attend?

Kupper
02-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Toad...nice airshow in Davenport this summer...My wife actually asked if we should go! Just checkin' in...if this thing gets off the ground...so to speak...locally with Loki that is, I might be available. Keep planning and thinking fellas!!

LuckyBoy1
02-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Yep, Davenport (censored) Iowa... nice little town! You'd never guess that it has like THE best air show in the country! Lucky saps! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

sunflower1
02-27-2005, 05:56 PM
golly, that just might be the ticket for "when."

There is also this little out of the way town called Oshkosh that's not far.

LuckyBoy1
02-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah... no justice in this world! the tow best shows in the country held in podunk! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

T_O_A_D
02-28-2005, 10:44 AM
shameless bumpage.

TOAD, how do you schedule it? How many attend? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As many as we can get to show. I can rent the community Room at the bank where my wife works For $10.00 all day on a Sunday. It would hold Im sure 30 players maybey more.

If it small we do it in my Garage. The most I've Had in there is 15 I think.

Oh when is the Airshow in Davenport this year? My Inlaws are still there, I'd be willing to suffer a visit for an Airshow http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Is it still over im Moline at the Airport, Or do they do it out at the small grass field Out near Farm and Fleet in NW Davenport.

I'm working on a plan to make it to Oshkosh this year too but is barely in the planning stages.

TheGozr
02-28-2005, 11:15 AM
To go to Oshkosh would be great .. pepper is there. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T_O_A_D
02-28-2005, 12:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGozr:
To go to Oshkosh would be great .. pepper is there. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh? Yes I know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kupper
02-28-2005, 02:05 PM
TOAD...here's the site for that airshow in
Davenport. www.quadcityairshow.com (http://www.quadcityairshow.com)

VF-17_Yankee
02-28-2005, 02:50 PM
the Quad City Airshow is at the airport in Davenport. Our CAP squadrons, Molines and ours (Whiteside County Composite Squadron) marshall the planes. I should be there this year...if they need our help again....

T_O_A_D
02-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Good News! I'll check Oscosh schedule and see if I can make both. I have more than 1 reason to go back to the QC I got some old friends there aswell.

All you QC or near abouts, guys send me PT some time and we can figure out more on meeting and all.

Bull_dog_
02-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Never knew so many hailed for Wisconsin...I used to live in Marshfield...now in Arkansas so I'm out...but if I did live in Wisconsin, I'd try to make it...

Hope it all works out...you'll have to keep us all updated on how it goes.

T_O_A_D
02-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Marshfield Mo. ?????

Thats my spot right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bull_dog_:
Never knew so many hailed for Wisconsin...I used to live in Marshfield...now in Arkansas so I'm out...but if I did live in Wisconsin, I'd try to make it...

Hope it all works out...you'll have to keep us all updated on how it goes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JR_Greenhorn
02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi, all. Thought I'd ring in as well here.

Originally from near Willmar, MN; attending school in Fargo, but currently interning in Roseau, MN.

I'm a bit far for a LAN party right now (I don't have the hardware anyway), but I'm wishing you guys well. Hopefully it becomes a regular thing, and I can attend in a couple of years when I'm out of school.

By the way, if any of you find yourselves near Granite Falls, MN in August, there is a really nice small-town airshow to take in.

The local owner of a sucessful contracting company is living his boyhood dream in collecting warbirds. He has a P-40 and P-51D, and he's working on his aerobatics in both.
This past August, at the airshow he puts on for the communtiy, he showed off his latest toys: another P-40 in restoration and an airworthy P-38. The airshow is small, but it gets better every year, and the small town atomsphere is a joy as well.

LW_Icarus
03-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Hey, I was planning on attending Oshkosh anyway, so if you could schedule it then I would be almost certain to make it.

I can schedule my time almost anywhere but the holidays pretty easy, all the lifers have those days sewn up.

as a bike mechanic, most of the rides I went on were drunken bar hops. all our local riders would get together and thrash downhill bikes around the OSU campus.the Scott Dixon name sounds familiar, but honestly I know more about gruppos and wheel building than riders.

"Super Joe" Frisch was a local at one time, and was blindingly fast on a road or cross country bike, had that trailside puking experience riding with him, and I had the distinct impression he was toying with me.

LW_lcarp
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Watertown WI here have done the Oshkosh thing for the last 3 years.

sunflower1
03-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm making a list. Somebody poke me a bit when they feel like there are enough people here to start getting serious about trying to agree on a time and place. Here in Delhi is fine with me, but whatever makes the most sense is what I want to do and I won't claim to have a corner on that market. Should we start trying to make it concrete now?

ChicagoChad
03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
I'm in downtown Chicago, as a lot of you already know. Sounds like a lot of fun.

What about having a Lan/party up in Oshkosh? To sorta merge all the events together? I've been pretty busy lately, only been away skiing twice this year. Vacation in 2 weeks and family cabin in northern MN fer the 4th almost maxes out time I can get away.

BERNDT79
03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
YES! everyone meeting in oshkosh sounds like a great idea!! short trip for me...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

sunflower1
03-03-2005, 08:54 AM
I'll do a little legwork today to check the practicality of that idea, but I suspect I'll find out that every hotel/motel/campground/rentable space near Oshkosh is already booked until the second coming. When you can find one, its is probably going to be more expensive than than everyone can afford. Where I live motel rooms are cheap and very pleasant places to camp abound.

If we choose a site where we don't have a flight simmer hosting this we exponentially increase the costs and completxity of hosting it. I will definitely need some help in organizing something like that.

LW_Icarus
03-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I just wanted to give a little bump.

this is a cool idea, you are probably right about hotels and such being boked at oshkosh. Im all for whatever is easy and fun.

T_O_A_D
03-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm told any and every Hoel with in 2 hours will be booked or almost book for that week. I'm planning to meet up with a fellow Simmer In Chicago area myself. Unless I find a better approach. Also depends on how many here locally I know that decide to go aswell.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-05-2005, 10:59 PM
To tell you the truth, I think the original idea was the best. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm broke. Doing a short road trip, renting a room at the Motel 6 and playing video games in a guys garage was sounding pretty good to me. My 2 cents (which is about all I have left http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

T_O_A_D
03-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Cheap A$$ Man of my ways you are! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

LW_Icarus
03-06-2005, 09:01 PM
well, its no short road trip any way ya slice it for me,but the rest of it sounds infinitely more affordable to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif