PDA

View Full Version : Main AC quote question

davo1270
11-12-2011, 09:47 AM
I know that it has been mentioned maybe a million times before in this forum, but I never really understood, what the term "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted" meant.

If someone could please give me a very quick analysis of the phrase, it would truly be helpful.

Thank you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AntiChrist7
11-12-2011, 10:13 AM
play AC1

Mr_Shade
11-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by AntiChrist7:
play AC1 please be civil..

davo1270
11-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by AntiChrist7:
play AC1

I have played it, only i do not really remember and did not truly understand. And since ACR is around the corner, i really want to understand the phrase.

LightRey
11-12-2011, 10:24 AM
It's basic meaning in AC is that one shouldn't be bound by things such as religion or law. In the end it's your own will that counts the most. It's still quite open to interpretation though.

Sarari
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
It means that everything that has come by in life, nobody really knows if it exists or happened. It's just that our minds choose to believe all the things we're told. I also think it refers to the apple of eden and how all throughout history it gave everybody illusions to believe in something. To be honest, I don't know what the permitted part has to do with AC, but it seems to fit the game nicely.

Assassinsyk
11-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
It's still quite open to interpretation though.

This. "Nothing", "True", "Everything" and "Permitted" are all massive words which each can refer to a number of things. Put them together and it becomes exponentially bigger. It could fit in the context of Ezio/Altair/Desmond, Templars/Assassins, humanity/TWCB or a meta for us playing a video game, and all of the above.

In other words: good question, great topic!

Steelback2010
11-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Don't want to sound like a tool but its the Assassin's, Creed, in it's simplest form.
To understand what it means i suggest reading the philosophical works of Nietzche, a little too 'deep' for me to truly grasp but none the less it asks some pertenent questions. heck it could even be the basis the design team for the Assassins beliefs worked from, i leave that for you to form your own opinion on.

Agentbarto
11-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Basically it's a hypothesis.

It should read
"When nothing is absolute, all things are possible."

Altair misinterpreted the creed as a commandment and a law of the how one should perceive their actions within the context of society. He used it as an excuse to do whatever he felt was necessary, disregarding the opinions of others. But by the end of AC1 he saw the difference.

Sparty2020
11-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Agentbarto:

It should read
"When nothing is absolute, all things are possible." That is one interpretation and it serves the purpose of making one believe that the impossible is possible. But I don't know how effective that interpretation would serve as a creed. Unfortunately I do not possess the answer, it seem a bit too broad to limit to a literal definition

Altair661
11-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Nothing is the absolute truth, but all options are open for acceptance

Agentbarto
11-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Sparty2020:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Agentbarto:

It should read
"When nothing is absolute, all things are possible." That is one interpretation and it serves the purpose of making one believe that the impossible is possible. But I don't know how effective that interpretation would serve as a creed. Unfortunately I do not possess the answer, it seem a bit too broad to limit to a literal definition </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The purpose of the creed is to enlighten humans into realizing that what we think we know is our best conceptualization of the world, but that doesn't mean it is the final solution to a question. It's basically the old phrase; "Question Authority" which doesn't simply mean parents or government but rather that which we view to be the mainstream idea or belief.

Lass4r
11-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm just gonna throw in there that we're talking about a quote from a videogame, not something you should actually believe in. Just clarifying in case anyone takes things too seriously =)

Agentbarto
11-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Lass4r:
I'm just gonna throw in there that we're talking about a quote from a videogame, not something you should actually believe in. Just clarifying in case anyone takes things too seriously =)

Actually you should in reality consider such a concept. With human beings curiosity and innovation thrive on this ideal. But I get that you're trying to prevent ideological discussions that deviate too far from the original question.

Sparty2020
11-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Lass4r:
I'm just gonna throw in there that we're talking about a quote from a videogame, not something you should actually believe in. Just clarifying in case anyone takes things too seriously =) Not like the quote was made for the game. Apparently it was really a Hashashin saying and it first entered notoriety (well the first time I heard it) in Fyodor Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Kamarov. Afterwards it has been recited and quoted innumerable times but people never really thought on what it meant before the AC series came about in which that phrase was the principle driving force of the game.

This isn't all make believe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif personally I'm interested in things like philosophy so I am also curious about the meaning of the quote.

Agentbarto
11-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Sparty2020:
... personally I'm interested in things like philosophy so I am also curious about the meaning of the quote.

Me too!! Which is, I think, why I don't mind spoilers as I get my kicks off analyzing everything on a deeper level.