PDA

View Full Version : Should this forum community be listed in the SH3 credits?

jagtigermk2
11-15-2004, 02:46 PM

jagtigermk2
11-15-2004, 02:46 PM

Pr0metheus 1962
11-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I vacillated between "yes" and "I don't care". In the end I figured "why the heck not?" - we did push for the dynamic campaign, and a sim with a dynamic campaign will make them more money than one without - so hell yeah, why shouldn't we get a bit of credit for inspiration.

Paximus14
11-15-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't know if our push for a dynamic campaign was so novel an idea as to deserve credit from Ubisoft. That's like a mass of people demanding better health care from the government, and then when the government does it, the mass of people want credit for it. The people truly deserving credit are the ones who created the better health care system. Same situation here, whichever programmers stepped it up to fulfill our wishes/demands truly deserve the credit. Remember, we're the ones reaping the benefits of some group of people's hard work. It's those people who worked so hard to make us happy that deserve the credit =)

jeroen-79
11-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Why would the customers deserve credit for asking for a certain product?
That is what we are, customers who asked for a dynamic campaign.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-15-2004, 06:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeroen-79:
Why would the customers deserve credit for asking for a certain product?
That is what we are, customers who asked for a dynamic campaign. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I recall correctly, the B-17 II sim credited the online community for its suggestions, so it's not unprecedented. Why should we get credit? No real reason. Do we care? Not really. But it would be neat and fun for the developers to acknowledge our support. They don't have to, and no one would fault them if they didn't. But sometimes 'no reason' is reason enough to do something nice.

CB..
11-15-2004, 08:06 PM
one gaming magazine whilst praising the incorpration of a dynamic campaign engine into the game then went on to say that this only happenned as a result of the ..and i qoute...
"whine-ing" of sim enthusiasts..typical clever d*ck stuff from the game press..so who knows what will happen regarding this..it doesnt really matter i suppose but it wouldn't kill any-one to mention that simmers here and else-where had finally got fed up of the prospect of buying yet another new game that didnt use even the tried and tested gameplay features we loved from games many years older...and that finally a game dev team actually listened..that's got to be worth something on both sides..especailly in an industry that is out selling/performing Hollywood!...

Pr0metheus 1962
11-15-2004, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CB..:
one gaming magazine whilst praising the incorpration of a dynamic campaign engine into the game then went on to say that this only happenned as a result of the ..and i qoute...
"whine-ing" of sim enthusiasts.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's pretty sad when even gaming magazine journalists look with disdain on the idea of a dynamic campaign - something that is essential to any game's replayability. Just as sad is the fact that sim enthusiasts - people who are gaming magazine customers - are regarded with the same disdain and cynicism by the same journalists who are supposed to be looking out for their interests. Oops. Hang on - my own cynicism generator seems to be out of whack. I forgot for a moment that computer game journalists are there to sell games, and not to further the cause of the game consumer. Silly me.

CB..
11-15-2004, 08:58 PM
yes i agree Beery..i had to read the magazine article in question two or three times ..it didn't add up...on the one hand he did seem to be saying that he was actually glad that SH3 would have a dynamic campaign .he mentioned he was a fan of AOTD.but he immediately stated that he thought the fact that gamers who didn't just accept what they were given were whine-ing..it seemed to me he needed to visit a Psychciatrist as he appeared to be suffering from some sort of mental paradox...i rarely buy the game magazines anymore because of this wierd attitude ..they long since have become more about the "look at me i'm a game journalist" ego trips of the writers than the games..im too old to be able to still think it's cool..(ive long since forgotten what cool is anyway..as is customary amoungst us oldies)
and as for the game reviews them selves, nine times out of ten if they say it's good, i run a mile in the opposite direction. lol!
if i do read a game mag these days i spend far more time reading betwen the lines in the " this game sucks" department than anything else. if they say it sucks then it probably means it has some thing to offer out of the ordinary......all their other editorial witterings ,i know before i read them, hold about as much intelliegence as an over cooked sprout

RedTerex
11-16-2004, 12:24 AM
I have always found that gaming magazines reviews are as sad as those 'whats on TV' reviews by equally sad introverts who express their own personal opinions rather than the mainstream 'thought' on the actual product.

'Terminator 2 Judgement day' was said by one such bore as "a mediocre action film with poor story and even poorer plot" the same peabrain then went on the praise up to hilt some 1933 black and white film the title of which I cant even remember !

At the end of the day if its 'entertainment' and if it 'entertains' then it is a hit, regardless of who its aimed at, an old bore of a critic, a gamer or a TV viewer.

I wish that these people who porport to know what is good and what is bad for us would take a look into the real world for once in their sad lives.

As a community we have added some valuable input into the making of this sim and some recognition for our endevours would not go a miss.
SH3 has undergone major changes due to our input that was listened to in ernest by the Devs, so hell why not, get them credits up in there...go for it !

Mix-Martes86
11-16-2004, 02:54 AM
Maybe there should be a mention for Subsim, Subclub, and every other local site that has been useful (The AOTD-Clan, the 9th Flotilla, the 24th Flotilla and PlanetSHIII if we finally get the game in Spanish...), and in the last line, a sentence like "We also would like to thank all the SH3 fans and community members that we may have not mentioned and have contributed to the game with their ideas, comments and feedback."

Capt.LoneRanger
11-16-2004, 03:03 AM
Agreed, Mix-Martes86!

I think this would also be a good way to get some people involved in the community. Especially for a game that will be playable over internet, this would be a good method to actually give people adresses to turn to for patches, online-playing and of course for valuable feedback!

oscar0072004
11-16-2004, 04:54 AM
yes i think so , allthough just ideas we contributed a lot to the game . for 1 example it was me who came up with the seagull idea after playing the demo of virtual sailing.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-16-2004, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oscar0072004:
yes i think so , allthough just ideas we contributed a lot to the game . for 1 example it was me who came up with the seagull idea after playing the demo of virtual sailing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You thought of that, and they added it? When I saw the screenshot with the seagulls I thought it was so cool. It's little things like that that turn a good simulator into a great experience.

I once said something on the B-17 II forums and the guy who was writing the manual asked if he could use what I'd said in the manual. That was cool. But I've never had any suggestion for a feature implemented. Hehe, when the game comes out, those seagulls will be "Oscar's seagulls".

bertgang
11-16-2004, 06:17 AM
Maybe WE, as customers, haven't great credits, but for an avertising campaign is different.

Lot of goods are selled with a sort of certification like: "approuved by professional nurses association" or "best according to bikers club" and so on...

Ubi could choose a similar way.