PDA

View Full Version : In May of 1943...

The_Silent_O
11-14-2005, 09:56 AM
...Karl Doenitz ordered that external storage canisters for torpedoes on the exsisting VIIs be removed AND only by exception all were removed from the exsisting IXs. This was followed as directed.

...He did this on recommendation from his design engineers who stated that these were the cause of failure for the u-boat when attacked with new allied depth Charges.

...New production U-boats received new steel storage cannisters.

...Older IXs who were sent to far off grids were the exception and were allowed to keep the old cannisters.

...So if you are playing a older VII or IX and progress with it past MAY 1943 and are in the North Atlantic, you should not be loading any external torpedoes, unless you buy a new U-Boat!

...game designers probably overlooked this fact, but it would be interesting after MAY 1943 that you can't use your external storage cannisters.

...reread this from Clay Blair's second book this weekend.

Chrystine
11-14-2005, 10:03 AM

Very, very interesting Otto!

Thanks for that.
I€ll try to remember it, should I survive to May €43.

€œ..It would be interesting after MAY 1943 that you can't use your external storage cannisters.€

Yes it would, indeed€¦
We can at-least choose to not use them for said reason €" unless, as you suggest, we buy a whole new boat!

Best, & good hunting!
~ C.

JU88
11-14-2005, 03:45 PM
That should be easy enough to mod....

Kaleun1961
11-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by JU88:
That should be easy enough to mod....

Wolfie's Tweek Sub mod allows you to customize your torpedo layout. One way of doing this...

paulhager
11-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by The_Silent_O:
...Karl Doenitz ordered that external storage canisters for torpedoes on the exsisting VIIs be removed AND only by exception all were removed from the exsisting IXs. This was followed as directed.

...He did this on recommendation from his design engineers who stated that these were the cause of failure for the u-boat when attacked with new allied depth Charges.

...New production U-boats received new steel storage cannisters.

...Older IXs who were sent to far off grids were the exception and were allowed to keep the old cannisters.

...So if you are playing a older VII or IX and progress with it past MAY 1943 and are in the North Atlantic, you should not be loading any external torpedoes, unless you buy a new U-Boat!

...game designers probably overlooked this fact, but it would be interesting after MAY 1943 that you can't use your external storage cannisters.

...reread this from Clay Blair's second book this weekend.

As it happened, I did buy new boats. The U-340 from the first episode of the Altmeier story was a C/41 I bought to replace a VII-C I had just before the story began. That's why the story talks about a new boat.

I started a second career with an inexperienced crew. That became the U-1197, also a C/41. The U-390 was from that same career and was a C/42. I had a lot of fatigue problems with the inexperienced crew, which I incorporated into the story at one point.

The Type XXI U-2501 was from the "experienced" career.

The_Silent_O
11-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by paulhager:

I'm shooting for my first XXI, it's June 1941 now and I've got 11,000 renown in a VIIc. I'm not buying any active RADAR, exchanging any torpedoes, upgrading any towers or flak. I'm just working on stealth and engine upgrades (to include METOX when it becomes available). I have to get to Bergen with 30,000 by APR of 1944...I hope I get there...

Baldricks_Mate
11-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by The_Silent_O:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulhager:

I'm shooting for my first XXI, it's June 1941 now and I've got 11,000 renown in a VIIc. I'm not buying any active RADAR, exchanging any torpedoes, upgrading any towers or flak. I'm just working on stealth and engine upgrades (to include METOX when it becomes available). I have to get to Bergen with 30,000 by APR of 1944...I hope I get there... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are very cool and very very deadly. I suspect those who says different are U Boat (reverse) snobs! Its not a return to "Happy Days" but an even-ing of the playing fields, so to speak.