PDA

View Full Version : CFS2 v. Il2 FB

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 04:49 PM
First of all congratulations to anyone who can figure out what the title of this post means (as I typed it I realized that I may have become one of those acronym-using jerks I hate so much).

Anyway...

I recently reinstalled CFS2 (Combat Flight Simulator 2, for those who don't speak the lingo, god bless you). I was just milling around in the game comparing it to Il2 FB. In my mind there is no question which is the better game...FB. There is however one thing about the original Il2 and FB that really bothers me, especially after seeing how nicely it was done in CFS2. And that is muzzle flash. It seems to me (please correct me if I'm wrong) that unless you are using some whacked-out gun powder you should not have visible flames three feet in length coming out of your guns especially during the day. Unless of course you are using canons (by canons I mean 19th century smooth bore or anything else that measures the projectile in pounds; not 20mm or 30mm like in the game). It looks somewhat cartoonish IMHO (ha ha, another acronym!). I really like the way it is done in CFS2, although it is still probably overdone there too.

Is there anyway I can change this (I doubt it) perhaps by changing muzzleflash = ridiculous to muzzleflash = normal in some file somewhere.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 04:49 PM
First of all congratulations to anyone who can figure out what the title of this post means (as I typed it I realized that I may have become one of those acronym-using jerks I hate so much).

Anyway...

I recently reinstalled CFS2 (Combat Flight Simulator 2, for those who don't speak the lingo, god bless you). I was just milling around in the game comparing it to Il2 FB. In my mind there is no question which is the better game...FB. There is however one thing about the original Il2 and FB that really bothers me, especially after seeing how nicely it was done in CFS2. And that is muzzle flash. It seems to me (please correct me if I'm wrong) that unless you are using some whacked-out gun powder you should not have visible flames three feet in length coming out of your guns especially during the day. Unless of course you are using canons (by canons I mean 19th century smooth bore or anything else that measures the projectile in pounds; not 20mm or 30mm like in the game). It looks somewhat cartoonish IMHO (ha ha, another acronym!). I really like the way it is done in CFS2, although it is still probably overdone there too.

Is there anyway I can change this (I doubt it) perhaps by changing muzzleflash = ridiculous to muzzleflash = normal in some file somewhere.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 04:52 PM
yeah the muzzle flash is a bit nutzs but it can add that you are fireing more powerfull guns

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 04:53 PM
No it's not possible to change that.

<center>

http://www.imgmag.org/images/delta9tetra/lurch-avatar.gif

</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 04:57 PM
sorry ..

with patch 1.12 UBI will be removing the flamethrowers installed on all aircraft and replacing them with standard 50 calibur firing weapons

/i/smilies/16x16_robot-wink.gif

<center>Flanker-ProudBirds-VFW</center>
<center>http://www.escadrila54.com/logo_sm.jpg (http://proudbirdswing.tripod.com/proudbirds.htm)</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Is this really true that they will be addressing muzzle flash in an upcoming patch or am I just gullible?

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 09:22 PM
The latter, I'm afraid..

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 03:38 AM
PBNA-Flanker wrote:

- with patch 1.12 UBI will be removing the
- flamethrowers installed on all aircraft and
- replacing them with standard 50 calibur firing
- weapons
-

Flamethowers...L O L!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Well.. that's what they look like!

<center> Beebop-ProudBirds-VFW

http://www.escadrila54.com/logo_sm.jpg

<center> The ProudBirds ... Flying High and Proud

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 04:51 AM
Everytime I fire my guns, I have visions of battleships shelling the coastline with 16inch guns. Way overdone. But from what I understand it will not be changed. There have probably been more posts about muzzle flash then any other one thing here.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you long to return.
~leonardo de vinci

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 05:54 AM
Ah man, I thought somebody would actually try to compare Combat Flight Simulator 2 with FB. As somebody who started in CFS2 and then came to IL2 to FB, I was ready to jump on anybody who implied CFS2 even came CLOSE to IL2FB. I've only attempted to go back ONCE since I've had IL2, and FB makes it look like CFS made AirWarrior look. But, graphics aren't too bad, and i did like the fact that it was setup for pure dogfighting; all planes start in air for intense battling, and the Pacific plane sets are real nice(even though P38 kinda hosed). But this game is infinitly more versatile, and a completed package.(You'll spend days downloading inconsistent add-ons and aircraft and effects and such). People here complaining about UFO's, omg sometimes you'll see a/c mods with no wings, 1 wing etc, doing IMPOSSIBLE manuevers, and Trimming is another whole artform to perform butterfly turns. Man, I tell ya, these patch screwups are nothing compared to that mess at CFS2..

Oh yeah, as far as main topic is concerned, yeah, I hate those muzzle flashes too, especially if you like noob LA's like i do.

"Remember, that's war. We're all in one boat. He who thinks only of himself will destroy himself too. Such selfishness will not be tolerated!"

Kambei Shimada, Seven Samurai

http://www.filmsondisc.com/images/7samurai4.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 07:05 AM
What's Oleg's obsession with overdone muzle flashes? Has he been watching too much Predator? Why the hell won't he fix it. I've learnt to live with it, but it looks a little too overdone, especially when you see yellow light relecting off the aircraft.

http://www.student.richmond.edu/~vk5qa/images/forumsig.jpg

"Come on in, I'll treat you right. I used to know your daddy."

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 07:11 AM
i think the stock answer is this ..

Fb is at he end of its development cycle .. in a few months it will be apparently left to its own devices development-wise .. finito .. no more .. thats it Dave. oleg is moving on to bigger and better things. Muzzle flash adjustment requires major remodelling and is not going to occur in a product approaching the end of its shelf life.

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Overdone Muzzle flashes is one of the cool things about this sim.
Nothing like the joystick a shakin' and fire spewing out of those guns.
Look at it as a bit of extra spice to the game!

F19_Choocky

http://www.f19vs.tk/

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 02:26 PM
well galway if what u say is true looks like we get the royal high-d-ho again, oleg and friends going off to somthing bigger (yes) better (i doubt it fb quality was lacking from original, to rushed) and more hardware hogging (probably, who can run fb at what they call an aceptable frame rate 90% of the time) without a top line videocard and 1gb ram) and if the addon is going to be a payfor then TELL US WHEN so us people that dont have crap loads of cash can start saving now, will we have to have it to be able to play on HL (probably) thats even if it does get here, remember that FB was originally going to be an addon

Konigwolf

ps sorry for the divergance from orginal topic

pps i have always thought the muzzleflash overdone, when i was a noob using 109/190 (orginal il2) was impossible to keep target sighted after i started firing

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 07:14 PM
jung0l wrote:
- Ah man, I thought somebody would actually try to
- compare Combat Flight Simulator 2 with FB.

Sorry, for the getting your hopes up. I agree with you about IL2 genre versus CFS2! I hope that someday there will be more sims that will take place in the Pacific theater, talk about a forgotten battle (in WWII airplane sims at least).

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Yes people move on to other projects folks have to eat little ones need shoes. Who moved my cheese? Oh well such is life! The muzzle flashes are very comic book like and are really meant to scare the enemy into running from AA emplacements! I love when they obscure my frontal vision in the German aircraft .... just love it! Makes one have to fire short 1/2 second squeezes of the trigger....makes the ammo last a long time.

Happy hunting and check six!

Tony Ascaso, RN