PDA

View Full Version : AI Behavior issues - Mountainous terrain

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Couple of things.

1. AI will chase down otherwise crippled AI aircraft. I can understand them chasing down human planes, but I watched 2 AI planes chase down an enemy that had no elevator or rudder.

2. Said AI mentioned above followed plane into the mountainside on the small mountainous map. No effort to evade (avoid) terrain.

eh?

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Couple of things.

1. AI will chase down otherwise crippled AI aircraft. I can understand them chasing down human planes, but I watched 2 AI planes chase down an enemy that had no elevator or rudder.

2. Said AI mentioned above followed plane into the mountainside on the small mountainous map. No effort to evade (avoid) terrain.

eh?

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 12:04 AM
1) I don't see them doing that very often. When they do...the plane seems to be in otherwise good condition (I tend to follow the plane in as well - no smoke, no missing wings, tends to indicate it may still be good).

2) This is when the AI goes "ahhh crap" (and other more colorful words). You would too http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Not to totally wreck things here, yes I have seen AI go crashing into the mountainsides but it happens so very rarely that its not something I've really thought about...seems realistic like pilot error.

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 12:36 AM
A lot of flight sims have had the terrian\hills\mountains problem. Must have something to do with coding and avoidance of tall objects. Must be a difficult thing for developers to accomplish.

Rick

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 05:43 AM
I don't have a problem with the AI crashing into a mountain. Not so long as I do it once in a (great) while.

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1951.