PDA

View Full Version : what a great moment in the game.

sav112
07-18-2005, 12:01 PM
At times when I find a wee bug that annoys me like a ship that€s rammed up the harbor wall, not being warned that I have a ship right next to me in time-warp mode you come across a piece of gamming or programming that makes you sit back and think what class.

My quick story, after a reinstall and wait for the latest patch I set out on my first career mission off the north cost of Scotland, anyway did my patrol found a single small cargo ship and sank it. Nothing to brag about as it took me all my torpedoes.

So I€m returning to port and not that far away from the coastline I went to 1x mode to enjoy the boat sailing on the bridge when I spot something white off in the distance off to starboard so I look through my binoculars and there it was another sub crashing through the waves by the looks of it heading to port as well.

So I decide to head for it full pelt but before I can get near it€s gone. I take it submerged but I could not find it again but what a great moment in the game.

Huckebein_UK
07-18-2005, 01:55 PM
That would be great - I'd love to see other U-boats heading into/ out of patrol zones and harbours and stuff and stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JU88
07-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Er whaT?? I wish it was true but there are no other subs in the game apart from yours.
Reason is there is NO AI to control submarines in SH3, all they would do is just sit there...

I dont mean to call you a liar, but what you've claim to have seen simply isnt possible, sorry bud.

AVGWarhawk
07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I would suspect that as stated the sub was up on land much like the stationary ships you find in ports sometimes. So I'm willing to bet that this was a stationary sub.

bo_bo
07-18-2005, 03:10 PM
The new Harbor traffic mod version has AI subs that will depart and return from port but can only run on the surface and can attack enemy units with the deck gun and flak gun(s) ((no torps))

Caseck73
07-19-2005, 12:52 AM
When I first started playing this, when I had event camera on, one time I was following one of my torpedoes towards a cargo ship, and as it passed the cargo ship, I watched it for a while, and it panned over another sub on the opposite side of the convoy as the torpedo passed by.

They are there, I'm not sure whether they are friendly, or enemy, I've never gotten a good look at one, but they ARE out there...

Davca
07-19-2005, 05:33 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

sav112
07-19-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by JU88:
I dont mean to call you a liar, but what you've claim to have seen simply isnt possible, sorry bud.

It was a sub I€m sure. AN97 Q7 SEPT 10 1939 on the latest patch, it was day and it was crashing through the waves to my starboard. The funny thing was I went and set my sub on a heading closing and when I came back up to go and look with the free cam I€d lost it.

JU88
07-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Its not possible, As the game stands now, the AI cant do squat with subs and uboats, just you try it, go on - put a non-player controlled VIIB down in the mission editor, give it way points then arrange a DD to attack it, it will drive forward for a moment then stop and just sit there.

Those who claim to have seen Ai controlled subs in an unmodded version of SH3 are either mistaken, telling porkies, or smoking too much of the good stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GT182
07-20-2005, 09:51 AM
sav112, it could have been Moby **** you saw. But alass there are no AI whales, or sea creatures, in SHIII either. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

There are no mods, that I know of, that have AI subs either.

cueceleches
07-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Could these phantom subs be easter eggs from the devs?

JU88
07-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by cueceleches:
Could these phantom subs be easter eggs from the devs?

No! there is no submarine AI in the game, thats huge chunks of code missing from SH3,

Without the programed AI, and without human control from the player, subs dont know how to behave in the game world. They cant even navigate, let alone conduct attack