PDA

View Full Version : GMX Media/Shockwave Productions announce Battle of Britain 2 - w. screenies

WildeSau
12-22-2004, 02:30 AM
Go over and have a look - it's the sequel of Rowans Battle of Britain - they only have two screenshots but they look not that bad.

Might be a good thing until we get the "real" BoB from 1C Maddox Games.

BoB2 (http://www.gmxmedia.net/bob2)

WildeSau

WildeSau
12-22-2004, 02:30 AM
Go over and have a look - it's the sequel of Rowans Battle of Britain - they only have two screenshots but they look not that bad.

Might be a good thing until we get the "real" BoB from 1C Maddox Games.

BoB2 (http://www.gmxmedia.net/bob2)

WildeSau

NORAD_Zooly10
12-22-2004, 02:39 AM
it looks like the old game engine is being used, i'll give this one a miss thanks.
~S~
Zooly

LEXX_Luthor
12-22-2004, 02:45 AM
Dynamic weather sounds good, especially the part about towering storm clouds. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

It looks like an "okay" upgrade, at least until the Real BoB and Beyond comes.

No Flyable big bomber. No Italians. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif No Battle of Poland/France addon pac~> http://www.9-1939.pl/

WildeSau
12-22-2004, 02:52 AM
you are right - but as said, it might fill the gap between now and 2006 when the real BoB is comming out.

I think I will wait for some pre- and reviews and then decide about getting it.

WildeSau

TangmerePhilipp
12-22-2004, 03:04 AM
How are the FMs?

CORTO.M
12-22-2004, 03:07 AM
nice Features:

===>Features (http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob/features.htm)<===

Anyway, after 3 Years of IL2 Engine it is time for a change...
And it is a competition for Olegs Team...

WildeSau
12-22-2004, 03:17 AM
exactly - some competition is always good for every market!

It seems that BoB2 is based on engine that is even older than 3 years - namely the engine of the original Rowans BoB.

Thats why I am nevertheless sure that 1C Maddox will deliver again a flight sim that is top and will be the measure of all things.

WildeSau

|CoB|_Spectre
12-22-2004, 05:12 AM
Thx for the link, WildeSau. My first encounter with Rowan was with Flying Corp and, for the day, the graphics were excellent as was the gameplay. Same goes for their MiG Alley. Graphically speaking, Janes WWII Fighters had more eye appeal, but Rowan's BoB had features far more advanced and it was a much more difficult sim to fly. The ability to interact strategically as well as tactically (be a planner and jump into any aircraft) will certainly appeal to many people. One thing I'm glad to see and have lobbied for in this sim is the ability for human and AI pilots to use clouds for tactical defense. No more AI shooting you done in zero visibility while you can't see squat. While they don't come right out and say it's the original Rowan Software BoB with upgraded graphics, that's probably all it would take to make it a candidate for my hard drive. Seems I read recently that someone has gone back into production work on B-17 II The Mighty Eighth with upgraded graphics. The corporate decision to drop multiplayer support, IMHO, is what killed that otherwise fine sim. If the legalities can be addressed, it does seem a smart way to go in taking a well designed simulation and re-releasing it with all the advancements in graphics to keep it competitive. Many times it's the gameplay that stands the test of time.

TangmerePhilipp
12-22-2004, 05:49 AM
Spectre, how would you compare the flight models to those in the IL-2 series?

WildeSau
12-22-2004, 06:08 AM
Spectre, totally agree with you. My problem with BoB was that I couldn't get it run properly on my machine due to graphic problems. I own the original BoB, MiGAlley (great game) and Flying Corps Gold from Rowans.

I think too, BoB had really good potential but it wasn't finished as many other sims too which are released.

Many things you mentioned (number of aircrafts in the sky, clouds, operating as a pilot and a strategic decision maker) made a great sim. The flight models weren't bad either. What annoyed me was how AI planes were marked - with this RAF roundels or the Iron Cross.

I am looking forward to get it on my HD as it's a good thing to bridge the time until 1C BoB is released.

Tangmere - no one can talk about the flight models of an unreleased sim - the flight models of the original BoB was quiet good - at least for someone like me without much knowledge of these things. If was demanding and that is what I think it should be.

Let's wait for the first previews.

WildeSau

malkuth
12-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Weeeee, the command level part sounds cool. I would buy it just for that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JG51Beolke
12-22-2004, 06:59 AM
That 109 Pit looks even better than CFS3's pit...............

VW-IceFire
12-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Pretty nifty sounding. I never played the original but this sounds sort of cool. We'll see when its released, what sort of rep it builds, what sort of things it can do, and how it ultimately pans out.

I think visually the details are better/worse than what PF/FB offer us now. What I see are that the terrain is fairly good looking down low. LoMac aside, only FB has ever had good looking low altitude detail. Anyways, its not shocking anymore because FB does such a good job. The aircraft models look like they are good but in some ways I think they don't look as good as the FB versions. Less polys and less precision. They still look pretty good and fairly convincing but in comparison sakes, FB does it better. The weather on the other hand...that sounds cool. I know Oleg is working on something that may even be in PF he said...but his version of BoB needs to have something along these lines to boost things to the next level. Thats for sure.

But I see something important here. Firstly, there is now a bit of competition. That helps. Secondly, this game looks like it draws alot of inspiration from FB. I know there was an original so maybe I have it backwards...but whatever the case, this looks pretty good and I think that says how far Oleg and his team have pushed this small but interesting industry.

DRB_Hookech0
12-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Shockwave/GMX are pretty good with the addon/expansion thing. Their "Firepower" addon for CFS3 is the only thing that kept me playing that game for the 8 months or so I stayed with it. They go to great links to get it right (like the 1C crew, dispite all out griping) to the point of going out to get rides in the planes they are modeling. They also have a really good payware addon for FS9 that has a lot of really cool heavies to fly (B17s, 29s, 24, that single tail coastal patrol B24 thing, and a couple of what if German jet bombers and the wonderful Landcaster). I'm not saying they are better than Oleg and crew, but they do take this stuff serious, just like Oleg. In their manual they include pretty good versions of the actual checklists for the planes included.

It was sort of interesting to drop a "Fat Man" on Berlin in CFS3. Like I said they have the addon thing going well.

They also have purchsed the code for B17II the mighty 8th, and are planning a complete remake up to todays standards and such. B17II was woefully incomplete at release, heck it didnt even have a online mode. I am interested to see how this project goes. B17II is the only sim that I can remember that had the Norton completly set up and was a cast iron bit**h to figure out and hit anything with.

|CoB|_Spectre
12-22-2004, 11:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TangmerePhilipp:
Spectre, how would you compare the flight models to those in the IL-2 series? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid it's been so long since I've played it (only other flight sim I've played since IL-2's release is MiG Alley) that I'd be afraid to offer an opinion. My memory of such details is not my strong suite. At the time I had been playing Janes WWII Fighters and found Rowan's BoB to be far more demanding, but then that would be expected since WW2F was long on eye candy and short on physics modeling, enjoyable though it was. I may have to dig it out of the archives and give it a fresh look. I still find MiG Alley to hold its own with regard to physics modeling, IMHO. While I never messed around with the strategic planning part of BoB, I was told is was very good and still offered the opportunity to "go tactical" whenever you felt the need during the game.

Aaron_GT
12-22-2004, 05:29 PM
I have Rowan's BoB on disk. The Spitfire was a total bugger to get off the ground!