PDA

View Full Version : FB/WWII online comparison

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 12:26 AM
I've been flying Il-2 since it came out, and got FB as soon as I got a rig that could handle it. Lately, I've been playing WWII online, since a bunch of my old CFS buds have a squad on the axis side.

Just for those who might be interested in pay-for-play...

The flight model and general detailing of the aircraft in FB is definitely superior. More stuff, better engine management, superior realism, etc. Although we quibble about a lot of the details in FB, it remains the best available WWII flightsim.

WWII online has the potential to have a really good flight model. As it is, it's better than CFS3, IMO. You get the FB-like feel of "movement" in the aircraft, and things bump, creak, and thud. It's also pretty much "full real" all the time. No external views, Cockpit view only, No padlock, etc.
The only concession is a range-relative "identifier" system.

As you approach another aircraft, once you get within a certain range, you see a pale, greyish circle around it. (or part of one-range dependent) As you get closer, the circle firms up, and, once you're close enough, it changes to either blue (axis) or red (allied) and tells you what kind of aircraft it is.
Not bad, really, considering the lack of any other crutches.
Oh, no friendly fire. You can't damage your own aircraft, even by colliding.

Gunfire and damage effects seem pretty good.

Big downside is the modeling of the "G" effects. In the present version, they are WAY too sensitive. Abrupt stick movements in the 109 can not only make you black out, they can kill you! As fights wear on, they get worse, supposedly modeling fatigue.
It's bad enough to be silly; you have to hold your stick with two fingers... Supposedly, this is fixed in the to-be-released-this-week 1.9 version.

There's a kind of limited selection of aircraft as well.
For instance, the Axis gets two 109 variants, two 110 variants, the Stuka (dive bomber only) and the He111.
We are supposed to get a 190 variant...soon.

Still, they seem to be doing a good job, and they are constantly improving and refining things. The stuff is inplace for better engine management and controls, for instance.
One thing I have noticed about pay-for-play (and I was skeptical) is that you seem to get a better class of player.
Very little of the nonsense you see with many other games.

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 12:26 AM
I've been flying Il-2 since it came out, and got FB as soon as I got a rig that could handle it. Lately, I've been playing WWII online, since a bunch of my old CFS buds have a squad on the axis side.

Just for those who might be interested in pay-for-play...

The flight model and general detailing of the aircraft in FB is definitely superior. More stuff, better engine management, superior realism, etc. Although we quibble about a lot of the details in FB, it remains the best available WWII flightsim.

WWII online has the potential to have a really good flight model. As it is, it's better than CFS3, IMO. You get the FB-like feel of "movement" in the aircraft, and things bump, creak, and thud. It's also pretty much "full real" all the time. No external views, Cockpit view only, No padlock, etc.
The only concession is a range-relative "identifier" system.

As you approach another aircraft, once you get within a certain range, you see a pale, greyish circle around it. (or part of one-range dependent) As you get closer, the circle firms up, and, once you're close enough, it changes to either blue (axis) or red (allied) and tells you what kind of aircraft it is.
Not bad, really, considering the lack of any other crutches.
Oh, no friendly fire. You can't damage your own aircraft, even by colliding.

Gunfire and damage effects seem pretty good.

Big downside is the modeling of the "G" effects. In the present version, they are WAY too sensitive. Abrupt stick movements in the 109 can not only make you black out, they can kill you! As fights wear on, they get worse, supposedly modeling fatigue.
It's bad enough to be silly; you have to hold your stick with two fingers... Supposedly, this is fixed in the to-be-released-this-week 1.9 version.

There's a kind of limited selection of aircraft as well.
For instance, the Axis gets two 109 variants, two 110 variants, the Stuka (dive bomber only) and the He111.
We are supposed to get a 190 variant...soon.

Still, they seem to be doing a good job, and they are constantly improving and refining things. The stuff is inplace for better engine management and controls, for instance.
One thing I have noticed about pay-for-play (and I was skeptical) is that you seem to get a better class of player.
Very little of the nonsense you see with many other games.

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 12:38 AM
If you want to compare with other online games you should also try Fighter Ace and Aces High or Warbirds 3 - all have far greater numbers in single arena's mmog is imho much better than peer to peer.

Fighting in a single arena with 400 other people is pretty intense - I kill you, you kill me, I kill you, your friend kills me 500 foot dogfighting over and over and over gets pretty boring after a week or so.

In the big arena's real fighter tactics can be used not a replay of every box sim you're ever seen with eye candy instead of gameplay.

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Still bikewer, Of course there arent that many variants of the same plane. They will never make 5 diffrent Emil Models, and the F2 will never be in there. They are busy with other things like tanks, infantry and just fixing stuff like lag, graphics and so on.
Yea and dont use the rudder on the 109...that will kill you too.

Take a look to the sky just before you die. Its the last time you will!
http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/criminal/jacktheripper.jpg<br \>Which Evil Criminal are You? (http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/criminal/)

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 04:50 AM
Hehe- I use the rudder all the time...very gently. I refined my rudder technique flying extremely finicky helicopters in CFS.

Yeah, overall, it's pretty neat. You can be infantry, drive a tank, sail boats, etc.

Of course, when you start out, your vehicle selection is limited. For instance, I usually have to go to a rear area to get an aircraft, then fly it to a forward airstrip, where I can then land and take a mission.

Oh, we're getting destroyers too. Raging naval battles...Might be fun.

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 05:40 AM
If you want a FREE massive multiplayer online experience, I suggest you try Warbirds Freehost.

http://wbfree.net/index.php

Great buncha flyers there. It's Warbirds 2 but with more planes and fixes. And it's completely free. Thank god I found it cause I would never pay-to-play.

http://www.animatedgif.net/funny/chickenexplode_e0.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 07:44 AM
EvilBen wrote:
- If you want a FREE massive multiplayer online
- experience, I suggest you try Warbirds Freehost.
-
- http://wbfree.net/index.php
-
-
- Great buncha flyers there. It's Warbirds 2 but with
- more planes and fixes. And it's completely free.
- Thank god I found it cause I would never
- pay-to-play.
-

EvilBen: Got any screenies? Couldn't find any on their site. (Half their forum's in Russian... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif )

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 12:25 PM
You left out some of ww2online's best "features"

Average time to an engagement is 15 minutes.

There is a limit of 64 objects viewable. Since most fights occur over ground battles, you spend your time chasing planes that constantly dissapear.

80% of the planes surface area is un-damageable. Pilot, engine and control surfaces are the only his that count.

I could go on. Tell people the whole story so they can make a fair decision. It has great potential, maybe in 2 or 3 more years it will have a decent flight component.

http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/phist.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Yeah, no claim that the thing is absolutely wonderful!

Still, it's quite engaging. That 15 minutes to the battle is even longer at my level, I have to ferry in aircraft from remote bases, then land at a forward airfield to take missions.
Still, you might run into a little dustup enroute. Yesterday, I was outbound from Brussels when a RTB pilot was being chased by Spits. I was right in the area, and got the enemy off the lad's 6.

Progress is slow, but the developers have made continual improvements. Besides, if you get tired of flying, you can pick up a rifle or drive a tank.

XyZspineZyX
07-28-2003, 08:09 PM
The problem therein, is you cannot compare to two. It is intended for a completely different audience, than just the games designed around a single facet...

While we are at it, lets compare Combat Mission : Barbarossa to Berlin, to Command and Conquer, or better yet Medieval Total War, or Hearts of Iron.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 04:41 AM
To Ketalar:
It's on the Warbirsds 2 engine from 1998 so the graphics are fugly by todays standards but the gameplay is great. The FM and DM is very realistic and the developers are constantly communicating with the community and even usually flying with us. Oh and by the way, the English speaking people hang out at the International forum. Many Russian's play because the developers are Russian (which is a good thing if you look at Oleg /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ) Anyway, I found some Warbirds 2 screens.

http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/images/InteractiveMagic_Warbirds2_Screen_al.jpg

http://www.pcgamereview.com/reviews/images/InteractiveMagic_Warbirds2_Screen_bl.jpg

http://www.animatedgif.net/funny/chickenexplode_e0.gif

Message Edited on 07/28/0311:43PM by EvilBen

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 07:35 AM
Anybody want to whine about the WB2 muzzle flashes ?

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1951.