PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the linking panels change?

Moleculor
11-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Warning, there's a very minor minor minor spoiler five paragraphs down. (The one starting 'In Uru however,...') Like, ubarly minor.

Ok, in playing Uru something kept bugging me about the books...

The linking panels weren't moving.

In Myst, they gave a sort of 'fly-by' of the places you'd visit. Honestly, I don't think they were ever supposed to honestly do that, but it looked cool.

In the books, the linking panels showed the place you were linking to. I can't remember whether they showed a realtime image, a looping few seconds (sort of a video snapshot taken the last time someone went through) or a still image taken the last time someone went through, but I do distinctly remember the panels not actually 'updating' (especially in a freshly Written Descriptive Book) until someone linked there for the first time.

In Uru however, the images are always the same. Now, I KNOW they have to update -sometime- since the fishtank brought in by the DRC is shown in the linking book that links back to that room. However, the sun never sets in the linking panel showing the age with the steam vents, despite the fact that there's a very distinct day/night cycle there. And you never see steam blowing around in that scene either. You don't see spores in the air in the shroom land. You never see anything move, yet it should.

Anyone else get bothered by this?

Moleculor
11-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Warning, there's a very minor minor minor spoiler five paragraphs down. (The one starting 'In Uru however,...') Like, ubarly minor.

Ok, in playing Uru something kept bugging me about the books...

The linking panels weren't moving.

In Myst, they gave a sort of 'fly-by' of the places you'd visit. Honestly, I don't think they were ever supposed to honestly do that, but it looked cool.

In the books, the linking panels showed the place you were linking to. I can't remember whether they showed a realtime image, a looping few seconds (sort of a video snapshot taken the last time someone went through) or a still image taken the last time someone went through, but I do distinctly remember the panels not actually 'updating' (especially in a freshly Written Descriptive Book) until someone linked there for the first time.

In Uru however, the images are always the same. Now, I KNOW they have to update -sometime- since the fishtank brought in by the DRC is shown in the linking book that links back to that room. However, the sun never sets in the linking panel showing the age with the steam vents, despite the fact that there's a very distinct day/night cycle there. And you never see steam blowing around in that scene either. You don't see spores in the air in the shroom land. You never see anything move, yet it should.

Anyone else get bothered by this?

HG1973
11-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Yeah it does kinda make it feel static and uninteresting. They could have implemented that. It's not like it would have alot of overhead or take up alot of room on the hard disk.

In a game/series like this, it's all about the details and this is one that is sorely missed.

"Darn fireflies, get over here!"

Reverend Vader
11-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Yes! I want flybys too! I miss the moving linking panels...

But, alas, trade-offs must be made since we all don't have 1 GB of RAM.

Sigh.

I'll survive... if I have to... I guess...

Jason

Moleculor
11-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Oh come on. A GB of RAM? It's just a movie! A tiny one at that! All it'd really have to be is at MOST three or four seconds long! (Preferably longer, but... hey... can't have everything.)

HG1973
11-20-2003, 11:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moleculor:
All it'd really have to be is at MOST three or four seconds long!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty much how long Myst/Riven's were and it ran on old 386/486's.

"Darn fireflies, get over here!"

SRichards
11-21-2003, 12:38 AM
I actually prefer the static linking panels. They seem more realistic, even if they are less life-like http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The moving images in the Myst/Riven/Exile linking panels always bugged me a little, even though they are cool.

Steven Richards

Moleculor
11-21-2003, 11:31 AM
But they're supposed to move! They're supposed to hover two to three millimeters off the page and move like it were a window to that world.

I'm very disappointed that Cyan left out this very important detail. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AnubisSL5
11-21-2003, 12:10 PM
they were so great in exile!!!!! love the movies in that. ((expecaly the big glass marble ride one))

Srikandi
11-21-2003, 01:28 PM
I miss the flybys too, but I'd have to agree that it's not a trivial thing to implement. Especially since we're going to keep getting Ages... it would add overhead to the development of every age.

The technology used in Uru is completely different from Myst/Riven. Ages are more dynamic, and we have full live 3D. To reflect changes to an Age, you'd want to use not a static movie, but a live camera animation. This would only add to the load times while linking, which people are already complaining about.

It would be nice to see this added as an option for people with fast machines, but I have to say it wouldn't be my top priority of things to patch!

Dillenger69
11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
That came up in the beta more than once. They never esplained why the linking panels were static but we figured it was to save on memory and HD space.
I'm hoping that in Live they can implement moving panels eventually. All they need is an animated GIF. It's only 256 colors though. does PNG do animation? THey don't have to use full blown movie files, just an animated texture.

- - - -
http://www.wonderwedge.org/images/banners/milkad2.jpg
An administrator at Clockwork Orange BBS (http://www.clockworkorangebbs.org/) - The censorship free place to be.
Fah tehrthtehs trehahno pahrah ... one of the group at the big water, an Uru neighborhood.
Uru - It's like Daleks playing soccer.

Bistro321
11-21-2003, 02:04 PM
I'd like to see the moving panels come back, but frankly, there is so much eye candy here, that I really don't "miss" them.

Srikandi
11-21-2003, 06:16 PM
See, I think it would take more than an animated .GIF. I just checked my Relto book, and the image there is blurry and indistinct with respect to the things that might change: the columns, the waterfall. There's a tall tree that isn't on my island yet. The thing is, if we're encouraged (by moving pictures) to interpret the picture as a window on the world, that illusion is destroyed if the picture doesn't accurately represent what we see when we get there.

Silent-Mobius
11-22-2003, 05:14 AM
Any 3d engine that can deal with reflections (which is most of them but I will admit I havent seen true reflections in Uru yet) can support "portals" where another scene can show through a 3d shape in the current scene. (Like the Q3A teleportals)
The main issue is loading the objects and textures to make the scene. Personally I don't know what Cyan's guidelines are as to the maximum memory occupied by a given age, but if people have the memory it might be nice if Uru could store some of the previous/next ages data, to reduce loading when linking and facilitate a live "View" of the Age within the link.

As an option that is.

Although it is possible that the spinning view is one of those visual "improvements" that Cyan added to the games based on the Strangers adventures. I is posstible that all D'ni books have static images but Cyan thought that might be a little boring and so spiced it up a bit http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif