PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About the Academies

luftluuver
09-18-2007, 06:20 AM
http://www.columbiaspectator.com/node/26470

This is one dumb female to not know about the Naval Academy, Annapolis, LOL.

How did she get into Columbia?

I know why I chose Columbia: the campus is magnificent, the education is top-tier, and my peers are intelligent. I could look at a stranger, tell him or her that I went to Columbia, and hear the predictable, "Wow, you must be smart.

luftluuver
09-18-2007, 06:20 AM
http://www.columbiaspectator.com/node/26470

This is one dumb female to not know about the Naval Academy, Annapolis, LOL.

How did she get into Columbia?

I know why I chose Columbia: the campus is magnificent, the education is top-tier, and my peers are intelligent. I could look at a stranger, tell him or her that I went to Columbia, and hear the predictable, "Wow, you must be smart.

georgeo76
09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
You know, I agree. People should really know what they are getting into when they join the military. I know that the marketing for the military is a lie. but it's not a very good lie is it?

What would it do to put a warning sticker on the military, like they do the cigs:

Warning: Join the military and you will certainly be indoctrinated and possibly be sent off to combat.

It would be pretty silly right?

It probably wouldn't work anyhow because the methods of the military aren't any kind of secret. Anyway, what would the military be if people knew what they were getting into? Smaller that's for sure. Is it even possible to know what your in for? I understand that combat is a shock to everyone, but the parade ground should be pretty predictable.

Viper2005_
09-18-2007, 09:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The author wishes to express that this article in no way reflects the feelings and thoughts of her brother. It is written from a family member's perspective and is meant to be understood in that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

leitmotiv
09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Poilitical science is not exactly a haven of the reality principle---it's cloud-cuckoo land. That young woman is a classic.

erco415
09-18-2007, 01:57 PM
I enjoyed the reply below, especially the part about the 'token lesbian experience'. Classic.

Zeus-cat
09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I think her writing is a "bit" dramatized for the article. She is over-emphasizing the militaristic and rigid nature of the academies.

On the other hand, a lot of people are ignorant of military training in general. Military academies are there to train young men and women in the art of war and leadership. If you don't know that, then you shouldn't be considering a military academy.

In my opinion, her article is intended to be an anti-military diatribe. Ignore her.

On a related note; my brother-in-law went to the naval academy. He ain't quite right.

DuxCorvan
09-19-2007, 02:19 AM
So the boy went to a military academy, and it happened to be... a military academy! Oh surprise! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry, but even the most ******ed being in the world knows that if your child goes to an educational institution owned and ruled by a branch of the military system, he/she's gonna be instructed in the military stuff. It's like taking your children to a church and don't expect them to be preached.

This girl must be an idiot.

Jediteo
09-19-2007, 02:43 AM
The author has to have some serious problems, she has to replace the captain of her brain-ship, because he is drunk at the wheel.

How the heck could she not know about annapolis being the navy equivalent to west point, or the air force academy in Colorado springs.

SUPERAEREO
09-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Gee, that is ridiculous: what did they expect? In every army in the world the first step taken in training recruits of any rank is breaking them down as civilians and rebuilding them as soldiers.

Most recruits can take it, some can't.

But initial humiliation a de-humanization serves a purpose, namely to instill automated reactions during stressful situations such as combat, and the moment you sign that piece of paper you are giving away your rights as a civilian and you can reasonably expect to find yourself in a combat zone, sooner or later.

Guess georgeo76 is right, there should be a sticker on the ads warning of possible dangers, so the less intellectually gifted could avoid making the mistake of joining up. But it seems as absurd to me as the "May contain nuts" labels on packets of peanuts: if you are allergic to them why are you buying the blasted things anyway? Go figure...

GIAP.Shura
09-19-2007, 06:46 AM
She or her mother are definitely not the brightest of the bunch but I don't understand why there is such vitriol against her. The piece seems to be written out of concern that the academy will have a negative effect on her brother. This probably indicates an anti-military sentiment on her part but I don't think it necessarily makes the piece an anti-military diatribe.

Anyway, when it comes down to it, it is a university newspaper piece. She is young and inexperienced.