PDA

View Full Version : some ideas around structure fatique...

GH_Klingstroem
10-29-2004, 07:29 AM
I was thinking that maybe for BoB or mayb in a patch for PF, would it be possible to have structure fatique?!
example, u take some hits in the right wing, and since the structure there now is damagaed, when u pull to much G or when u dive too fast then the wing will come off due to the damage. Now, I know that some planes will loose their wings when pulling too much G, but with damage to the wings the amount of G u can pull would be even less... say maybe half?!?! that would make it more intresting and more difficult to say dive away once u have been damaged... Just to make it more real...
what do u guys think?!

GH_Klingstroem
10-29-2004, 07:29 AM
I was thinking that maybe for BoB or mayb in a patch for PF, would it be possible to have structure fatique?!
example, u take some hits in the right wing, and since the structure there now is damagaed, when u pull to much G or when u dive too fast then the wing will come off due to the damage. Now, I know that some planes will loose their wings when pulling too much G, but with damage to the wings the amount of G u can pull would be even less... say maybe half?!?! that would make it more intresting and more difficult to say dive away once u have been damaged... Just to make it more real...
what do u guys think?!

Shrike_UK
10-29-2004, 09:19 AM
at first i thought you were referring to long term airfram fatigue, and stress fractures, for campaigns and such. many i pilot in training were warned of unnessesarily looping and straining the aircraft, which over time could cause catastrophic consequences. loss of wing is no joke in real life.

Would a wing actully come off do to a few bullet holes and high G/speed ? given that the aircraft becomes hard to handle, or even hard to attain high speed when damaged.

I beleive the amount of time that would be needed to implement your suggestion in code might be quite unacheivable given the budget of the sim, and the amount of different a/c that would need each type of damage modelled.

tis a nice idea tho.

gates123
10-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Its already been modeled. I believe this has been new since patch 2.04. I hit a BF-110 pretty good the other night in the wing and he dove hard, when he went to level out on the deck the wing snapped where I hit him. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fennec_P
10-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Structural limits are currently modelled in FB/PF. But damage does not affect these.

I remember Oleg commented that in BoB, damage to structural members will affect load limits.

GH_Klingstroem
10-30-2004, 09:52 AM
sounds good Fennec! thx for replying! cant wait for Bob... guess FB\PF will keep me busy for some time... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif