PDA

View Full Version : Is Myst V What Storyline Uru: Live Was Suppose to be?

HastinZ
05-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Now, I know that Uru is not Myst and all that, but with the Bahro storyline, it seems that we will have just about all of the Uru storyline.

From Prime, we took the Path of the Shell, to end up in K'veer. From there, it seems that EOA starts. Of course, EOA will look much better since it is on DVD, and not from a Download.

I'm sure things were changed, but it would seem as if the basic plot line is the same. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mowog
05-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Hastin --

Yeah, I strongly suspect that EoA contains the ages we were originally promised in Uru Live. I also suspect that unlike PotS, the adventures will have been completely re-scoped around the single-player concept. Much of the PotS puzzles were a little odd because of the last-minute redesign, so I'll bet that EoA will be much more cohesive, a nice tight package like Riven, etc. And from what I've seen of the gameplay via the three videos referenced in a nearby thread, the scenery and characters will look fabulous.

Boyue65
06-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Were I to hazard a guess, I'd have to say that Er'Cana's machinery was meant to be operated by two people (one on the computers, one on the pressure chambers), and the Bahro cave where the puzzle diagram was would have also required two people. I suspect that Ahnonay's four spheres would require 4 people, to push the buttons at the same time to open the doors to the core.

Mowog
06-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Boyue65 --

I agree. It would be really interesting to know what the original concepts for the Uru puzzles were, compared to what we finally got. Maybe someday...

mszv
06-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi,
In Uru, the Teledahn bucket puzzle was originally a two person puzzle. That's how it was originally presented, in the beta. I think the other timed puzzle in Teledahn was also originally a two person puzzle, but we never saw it as such, in the beta. The original two person Teledahn bucket puzzle wasn't all that popular in the Uru beta. Originally the beta was small and, depending on the time zone you were in, it was sometimes hard to find someone to invite to your age to help you with the Teledahn bucket puzzle. Still, I liked that a lot better than the timed puzzles.

Yeah, any of those timed puzzles would have worked really nicely as two person puzzles.

I'm looking forward to the new puzzles - I hope they will be interesting, different and (for me) not too hard!

I'm also looking forward to seeing those elaborate huge D'ni tunnels - something I have been waiting to see since the original shots for "Mudpie" (code name for Uru) - a couple of years ago. Just let me see explore those tunnels and I'll be happy.

Boyue65
06-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Interesting. I didn't think to go back over the old ones. That brings several interesting puzzles to mind:

Cleft (Tomahna): I don't see any of these as requiring multiple people, except perhaps getting the wind/friction power device turning. But that'd be pretty darned cruel, seeing as you don't even have a Relto.

Teledahn: The rusted platform probably would have needed at least two and more likely four people to force down, allowing a greater degree of accessibility. The slave chamber probably would have required several different people to stand on the blocks, rather than just the Havok-driven objects scattered about.

Gahreeson: Obviously, the Wall needs plenty of people to get it to work. I'd guess that the power chamber would have required two people, one to stand on the pressure plate and the other to actually turn the darned thing on.

Kadish Tolesa: A lot of this age is about walking the given path, and it was more or less designed in my mind for one person. Having said that, Kadish's vault requires the brainpower of several people to finish, so there you go. And to be honest, I try not to remember what went on here - this one was a brainbuster and no mistake.

Eder Kemo and Eder Gira: The geothermal power source may have required people to stay on the plates to keep them down. Also, the darkened cavern may have needed several people to light it up, while the bushels may have originally needed people to hold them in place while the players move around. Other than that, this age is rather cut / dry.

Ae'gera: The chief cavern may have required several people calibrating the Great Zero at the same time to get it running again. Of course, the game was a scored game, and based around multiplayer at that (though I never did play it).

That's what I can think of for now.

Alahmnat
06-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Coming from the beta, I'll confirm/deny a few things for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Originally posted by Boyue65:
Cleft (Tomahna): I don't see any of these as requiring multiple people, except perhaps getting the wind/friction power device turning. But that'd be pretty darned cruel, seeing as you don't even have a Relto.
The Cleft was always a single-player area, actually.

Teledahn: The rusted platform probably would have needed at least two and more likely four people to force down, allowing a greater degree of accessibility. The slave chamber probably would have required several different people to stand on the blocks, rather than just the Havok-driven objects scattered about.
While I concur with the slave chamber thought (it was incomplete for most of the time the beta was in operation), the broken walkway was a single-person thing. As mszv mentioned, though, the buckets used to be two-player. There's even a special bit of code that probably still exists to allow the other player to hop in when the bucket dumps the first guy out.

Gahreeson: Obviously, the Wall needs plenty of people to get it to work. I'd guess that the power chamber would have required two people, one to stand on the pressure plate and the other to actually turn the darned thing on.

Kadish Tolesa: A lot of this age is about walking the given path, and it was more or less designed in my mind for one person. Having said that, Kadish's vault requires the brainpower of several people to finish, so there you go. And to be honest, I try not to remember what went on here - this one was a brainbuster and no mistake.
Yeah, pretty much.

Eder Kemo and Eder Gira: The geothermal power source may have required people to stay on the plates to keep them down. Also, the darkened cavern may have needed several people to light it up, while the bushels may have originally needed people to hold them in place while the players move around. Other than that, this age is rather cut / dry.
Actually, there was no gameplay in Kemo and Gira when they were introduced in the beta. The accursed fireflies came only after the decision was made to make a single-player game out of the most complete content. You used to be able to see very faintly inside the caves where you now need fireflies.

Ae'gera: The chief cavern may have required several people calibrating the Great Zero at the same time to get it running again. Of course, the game was a scored game, and based around multiplayer at that (though I never did play it).
Yeah, the Great Zero was definitely a multiplayer thing, and largely a mini-game to keep folks occupied, though it didn't work so well when you could barely move in the city and half the markers were in unopened areas http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Since there is no way to complete the calibration in Until Uru, one can probably surmise that its completely-functional state was never finished for the online game.

mszv
06-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Drat - when I was referring to the second timed puzzle in Teledahn, I meant Gahreeson! Sorry about that. This was the plate problem. Although a single player puzzle, when Uru was online, you could solve it with two people - one person standing on the plate, and one person flipping the switches. All you had to do was invite someone into your private age. It works well as a two person puzzle. I solved it by myself, but I almost didn't - I'm slow at the movement thing. I did have some people offer to help me out.

Sorry about that.