PDA

View Full Version : Question about skin download on/off and netcache for custom skin set

Mysticpuma2003
01-14-2008, 02:19 AM
At the moment some of the server mods are in a preliminary discussion to have a custom set of skins for the Warclouds Western Front Server.

Could someone clear a question up for us please?

Ok, so a skin pack is created, and then also a netcache file for each one, these are installed before flying online.

Now when I choose my base, then plane and opt for a custom Warclouds skin, will everyone on the server who has that file installed be able to see my custom skin WITHOUT having skin download switched to 'on' in the IL2" setup for the server or player?

This is confusing at the moment as currently Skin Download is switched to off on the server to avoid possible 'lag' when players join and want to fly a custom skin, but if players take the time to download a paintscheme pack and netcache file, would all those who have taken the time see the better skin, and anyone without just see the default skin, but without markings?

Thanks, MP.

Capt.LoneRanger
01-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Now when I choose my base, then plane and opt for a custom Warclouds skin, will everyone on the server who has that file installed be able to see my custom skin WITHOUT having skin download switched to 'on' in the IL2" setup for the server or player?

To my experience: Yes. We tested that on a LAN game. I copied my skins-folder into their installation, because they wanted access some of my skins. When we started everybody could instantly see the right skins on the planes. I didn't find those skins in the netcache folder, though.

It's a really good idea. I suggested over 2 years ago that it would be great to have some packages for dedicated servers, so people would see some different skins for the same plane.
I thought about Warclouds and it was and still is my favourite server and since it's mostly the regulary crowd over there it was my idea that everybody could send in ONE skin for his favourite ride. Would add a great deal of identification with the planes and the server, IMHO.