PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to take off in TB 3

aymestry
02-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Guys,

Still v noob to IL2 FB

I have decided to try out a bombing career with TB 3.

Am struggling to take off many times. Pulls to the left, off the runway , into the forest. hmmm.

Cant seem to correct using rudder. Do I need to vary engine strengths on diff sides of my plane ?

Thanks

aymestry
02-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Guys,

Still v noob to IL2 FB

Am struggling to take off many times. Pulls to the left, off the runway , into the forest. hmmm.

Cant seem to correct using rudder. Do I need to vary engine strengths on diff sides of my plane ?

Thanks

PBNA-Boosher
02-19-2005, 05:26 PM
You need to select all of the engines before you go full power.

aymestry
02-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the reply but doesnt solve my problem. I always select all of the engines prior to going full power. In fact I have not yet selected individual engines at all in the game.

So, I get all engines on full power but pull off to the left and cant compensate for this with rudder.

Pls help

Thanks

Syama
02-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Can't takeoff in a TB-3 ?? TB-3 can take off vertically in a stiff breeze :P

Does sound like some engines aren't at full power though...Might have to reselect them...Have you got separate engine management on?

PBNA-Boosher
02-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I had a problem like that once before, try selecting the engines 1 by 1, make sure that you haven't set yourself to "toggle engines" instead of "select engines." That can cause some problem.

record a track and send it to me if you like, boosh at kbuch.com

I'll be happy to take a look for you.

FI-Aflak
02-19-2005, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
I had a problem like that once before, try selecting the engines 1 by 1, make sure that you haven't set yourself to "toggle engines" instead of "select engines." That can cause some problem.

record a track and send it to me if you like, boosh at kbuch.com

I'll be happy to take a look for you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TB-3 os very easy to fly, but it has some quirks.

It can take those engines a long time between full throttle and rpm increase. so if you start them one by one (from left to right) and then redline it the right most engines will probably get to full throttle faster, because they are still warm and haven't settled into their idle yet which can give you some problems.

I suggest selecting all, hitting 100% with the throttle, then to 0 before you can go anywhere, and repeat until all the engines are showing the same characteristics (the four dials over the door on the right are your enginer rpm-gauges.)

tigertalon
02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aymestry:
Guys,

Still v noob to IL2 FB

Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Besides engine management that all other guys are speaking about, wheelbrakes can also be useful. Use them together with rudder.

ElmerFuddGantry
02-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Get Shift E's voice activated software to make your life easier.

F19_Ob
02-20-2005, 03:38 AM
It sure sounds like some of the engines aren't on full power like stated before.
Even a Tb3 with full bombload will take off on a short run and wont veer to any side. No struggling.

Its a good idea to select the engines one by one. This way U may also select one engine that for some reason is on fire and Use the fire-extinguisher on it. U have to enable a key for it in settings , wich can be done in-game by hitting 'Esc'. While U are doing that u may aswell select a key for each engine and one for 'all engines'.
For example:

Give the each engine a number-key like 1,2,3 and 4.
the 5 key can be "select all engines".

Remeber the key for the fireextinguisher.
I have ctr+F

Before starting the engines idle the throttle so one engine wont go on full power, and then U can select and start the engines in fast succession and dont have to wait for one engine to be started before u move on to the next.
Remember to select all engines before take off.
When u pick up speed the rudder will be effective so u can steer.
The take off run is short.

Whith all engines selected open radiator fully and leave it open ( before take off) ( u may have to set a key for it) so the engines keep cool. this way u may go on 90% throttle for a long time without overheating.

a few thoughts...

Beuf_Ninja
02-20-2005, 06:00 AM
It's possible that you are suffering the effects of severe crosswinds. I've encountered this in my TB3 campaign a few times, had it so even with no engines on i still turn 45 degrees away from the runway, simple solution in these extreme cases is to put on the autopilot for takeoff and then jump back in once your airborne. Seems strange to me that something as large as the TB3 would be affected by crosswinds SO severly.
As for varying the power on each side of the plane, you can try but it takes fast hands to switch engines back and forth and keep on top of the steering. Mybe BOB will allow seperate axis for individual throttles and then I'll get myself the CH throttle quadrant for four engined aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif