PDA

View Full Version : Bf 109 F2 armament

Lewicide
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Does anybody fly this A/C online and if so how does it's armament shape up? I love it's manouverability but its armor and armament seem too light to suvive online play (not uber enough?) any advice?

Cheers

Lewicide
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Does anybody fly this A/C online and if so how does it's armament shape up? I love it's manouverability but its armor and armament seem too light to suvive online play (not uber enough?) any advice?

Cheers

3.JG51_BigBear
12-16-2004, 05:50 PM
Against early Russian fighters the armament of the F2 is sufficient. The same can be said against western fighters if at sufficiently close range. No matter who you are fighting you're better off leaving the 15MM at home and taking out the F4. The F4's 20MM cannon has higher hitting power and a higher rate of fire.

Lewicide
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks BigBear,
but is there any loss of manuverability going to the F4, it appears to have more armour and maybe a higher wing loading?

Cheers

3.JG51_BigBear
12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
There could be. I don't notice that big a difference between the two models other than armament, but I stay away from turning combat at all costs against spitfires and Russian aircraft. The 109 makes a very good energy fighter and was used almost exclusively as such by units like JG26. The fighter has an excellent climb rate. Once at altitude I like to make slashing attacks on the enemy. Dive, make no more than a quarter of a turn to put the weapons on target, fire, up and away. Takes some getting used to and requires a little more patience because there is a lot of down time getting to altitude. You also need to get used to using your trim in conjunction with the elevators (just like in real life, the game's version of the 109 needs to be retrimmed constantly for best performance).

Against American aircraft the F2's armament is really going to limit your chances of making kills. That 15MM ammo just bounces off the P-47 and the Mustang will just be walking away from you and the chances of scoring at long range with the nose cannon in the F2, and making those shots count, is very difficult.

Lewicide
12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks again,
I'll go for the F4, I wanted to start with something that wasn't considered "uber" but not hopeless either, I have a strong preference for nose/forward clustered armament and liked the handling of the F series 109's. For an allied mount I may work on the Lightning or 39/400, although I hear that online the Lightning is everyones fovorite target.

Cheers

Stiglr
12-16-2004, 11:41 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course, an F2 is not supposed to be tangling with P-47s and Mustangs.

The F2 is a 1941 airframe (and so is the F4, for that matter, only a few months later), and the -47 didn't start appearing until well into '43, along with early, birdcage versions of the Mustang.

Lewicide
12-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Good point Stiglr
is this sort of chronological separation enforced online ?

Cheers

NAFP_supah
12-17-2004, 12:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lewicide:
Good point Stiglr

Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends on the server you play on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Some do some don't. I've not seen many servers with that early planesets. Either they are mid to late war or full planeset.

Schmouddle-WT
12-17-2004, 12:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lewicide:
Good point Stiglr

Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it is, but you need to choose the server wisely.
Generally, so-called full-real servers often offer historically-based missions or at least non-violating historical context in terms of planeset and location.
The less realistic server, the higher chance of having LA7 over Pearl Harbor on Blue side.

Regarding F2 vs F4.
Basically, in shape it is the same aircraft. The minor differnces are in the engine, but too small to make a difference.
However, in nose-mounted cannon there is a big difference. Altough basically the same weapon, MG151/15 (used in F2) and MG151/20 (F4 and forth) are in terms of effectiveness like chalk and cheese.
MG151/15 is on the very edge of being called machinegun* and its performance is quite similar to MG** - small punch, bad trajectory due to light shell etc, etc.

On the other hand, MG151/20 was one of the best aircraft-mounted cannons of WWII, with fairly well balanced rate of fire/muzzle velocity/shell weight. It originated in MG151/15 and it was simply a bigger calibre only.The weight difference was about +10%, with a greatly enhanced effectiveness.

In roundabout balance MG151/20 was beaten only by Hispano Mk.V, designed in later stage of war.

*convention is, whats over 15mm is a cannon, whats less than 15mm is a machinegun, altough it naturally could use AP/HE or whatever ammo

**not to mistaken german abbreviation MG-Maschinengewehr, which was used also for cannons and english one which express solely machinegun

Schmouddle-WT
12-17-2004, 01:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NAFP_supah:
Good point Stiglr

Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends on the server you play on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Some do some don't. I've not seen many servers with that early planesets. Either they are mid to late war or full planeset. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our squadron public server (Of which I am an admin) called WT_Dedicated offers 15 1940-1945 near-full-real historically-based missions, If I rememeber corectly,there are at least 2 missions from 1941.
Check it out.

Lewicide
12-17-2004, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the info on the servers.

Is there much difference in ammo load between the 15mm Mg151 and the 20mm Mg151 on the F2?, the He111 is v,hard to kill with the 15mm, I have to very carefully shoot out the engines before runniing out of 15mm ammo (200 rounds I think?)?
Does the F4 have more armor or armored windshield?
Is the K4 modelled the 13mm version, not the 15mm version? the veiw objects is sometimes a bit ambivalent and for some reason the K4 guns (not the cannon) seem more potent than the same on the G6, but could be my imagination.

Thanks

Cheers

Schmouddle-WT
12-17-2004, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the info on the servers.

Is there much difference in ammo load between the 15mm Mg151 and the 20mm Mg151 on the F2?, the He111 is v,hard to kill with the 15mm, I have to very carefully shoot out the engines before runniing out of 15mm ammo (200 rounds I think?)?
Does the F4 have more armor or armored windshield?
Is the K4 modelled the 13mm version, not the 15mm version? the veiw objects is sometimes a bit ambivalent and for some reason the K4 guns (not the cannon) seem more potent than the same on the G6, but could be my imagination.

Thanks

Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are not supposed to shoot He111 with Bf109.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Lewicide
12-17-2004, 07:29 AM
Can't help myself the He 111 is the hardest (non manuvering) thing I've come accross to shoot down, I rate everything (standard) on how capable it is of shooting dowwn the He 111

Cheers