PDA

View Full Version : My personal issues with a decent game. (SPOILERS)

Corrupt_Chaste
12-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I've played and enjoyed Assassin's Creed since the first game and for the most part I have also enjoyed Revelations. That being said I believe certain issues should be addressed. I would like both positive and negative -constructive- feedback on this thread if possible.

-About Multiplayer-
Keep in mind that this thread is only about the single player experience, which is what I feel made Assassin's Creed an interesting franchise in the first place. I did not touch the multiplayer in Brotherhood and I dont intend to utilize it in Revelations. I have heard good things about the multiplayer for the most part but I have no interest in it. My love of Assassin's Creed comes from it's story and characters, and that is where it will stay.

Thank you.

-Story-
1. In my opinion, the single player story experience was far too short. I usually take my time with game stories, I try to explore the other facets of a game before completing the main attraction. I tried to take my time in Revelations but it still ended up being short for me. When I played Brotherhood I felt like I had many things to do. I collected keys for the "secret" armor set, I captured districts to train new recruits, I completed the separate templar hideouts, completed memories from a lost lover, and numerous other activities. Maybe I missed this in my first playthrough of Revelations but I never felt the desire to do anything else other than the main storyline.

-Characters-
2. Many of the main characters were not interesting. Other than Prince Suliman and Ezio himself, I found many of the characters to be two-dimensional. Sophia played a large part in the main story but her character was not explored. Besides the romantic relationship between her and Ezio and the occasional help with finding the missing keys, we barely see her at all. For such an important person she was given little development.
(SPOILER)
I found the Prince's uncle to be an extremely uninteresting villain. I think that one of the most important features of any good vs. evil scenario is to have an interesting well-developed villain or villain(s). He is meant to be the "mastermind" behind much of the templar movement in Turkey, and barely any effort is put into his development or back-story other than what his nephew tells us which is very little.
(SPOILER)
The Young assassin(I cared so little about him that I forgot his name) that first greets you when you enter the city appeared to be a fun and interesting character at first glance. His jovial attitude caught my attention and I assumed he would be given a significant role in the main story and hopefully some other side-missions. Similar to Sophia, his character is cardboard. (SPOILERS!) He fights with you in a few missions and then suddenly dies out of the blue. His death is barely addressed at all, quickly pushed aside by other events and completely forgotten afterwards.

-Gameplay-
In trying to give players more variety in the game, I feel that Ubisoft went overboard in some areas and included some things that we might have been better-off without.

1. I know that this is -only- a matter of personal opinion and that many dont share it, but I cannot stand the Tower Defense minigame. If done better it might have made a good addition to the game but I think it was rushed and is therefore un-enjoyable. I like the idea that your enemy can re-capture your bases but does the process have to be so frustrating? I dont mind the strategy at all, in fact when I first tried it I thought it might be fun. I ended up resenting it for it's difficulty and simplicity. The times that I was forced to endure it, I lost every time. Some might argue that the reason I hated it was because I sucked at it (which may very well be true) but why does it have to be so difficult? No matter how much I prepared with rifleman, barricades, air assassin's or anything else, I still got crushed by the large (and very unrealistic) war machine at the end. The only feature that was of any use to me were the cannon-shots and because I was forced to use them so often (since my other options were useless) I rarely had any left for the machine at the end (and even THEN they proved largely ineffective). What truly tortured me was that I KNEW that if I could simply get off the rooftop and fight them hand-to-hand, I would be able to defend my den much more easily and enjoyably. Even more ridiculous was how futile the minigame was. When (not "if") I lost my den in the minigame, I would literally just run around a corner, stab the captain, climb the tower and the den would be mine again. COMPLETELY pointless. I feel that the strategy minigame should have been an OPTION, not a requirement; if you chose not to do it, you could fight them yourself which I think most people prefer anyway.

2. From what i've read on this forum, many people consider the hookblade to be a bad or useless addition to the game. I didnt think that it was that bad and at times truly enjoyable, especially when sliding on the zip-lines. That being said, it seemed like they should have worked on it a bit more. I suppose the city couldnt be completely covered in zip-lines but I thought that there were too few of them to be a viable option for transportation in most situations. In combat I found myself using it very little generally because when I *did* try to use it, it wouldnt work very well.

3. This might just be nitpicking so I wont be surprised if people dont agree, but I found the enemies with the "hood/mask" things to be very hard to kill. In some ways I feel that they helped the game since the other enemies usually proved to be too easy to kill but I still have problems with them. Unless you used bombs -which might have been the way you were *meant* to deal with them, I still dont know- they were frustrating for me to kill, especially when there were more than one. If you blocked the attacks of one, the other would pull out his gun and shoot you. Counter-attacking them would only hurt them a bit and you usually had to do it three times or more to finish them off. Shooting them required at least three bullets per enemy, sword fighting was generally useless as they easily dodged or parried your attacks (the same situation with knives) and the hidden blades gave even poorer results. Several times I found that I had to run from them or constantly use assassin recruits just to keep them away. Difficult enemies give variety and balance to gameplay but... damn I just hated these guys.

4. I'm still divided on the merits of 100% sync. In some places I feel it adds a nice challenge and friendly difficulty to missions, in other places it's a mind-shattering mouth-foaming hair-ripping waste of time because it's far too difficult. I recently made another post complaining of the difficulty of the Cappadocia mission in Sequence 7 mission 4 - Decommissioned. This is one example of extreme and in my opinion -pointless- frustration on a single mission. I think this needs to be looked at and changed a bit. It would be really neat if they could add something to it, such as a bonus scene if you complete the mission fully or a unique item if you complete sets (and something better than a player skin thank you).

5. More Territory. I have personally been to both Constantinople (Istanbul today) and Cappadocia in Turkey and was quite pleased to see features such as the Grand Bazaar (which is really frieking cool in real life) and the Blue Mosque show up in the game. Cappadocia was also nicely designed and very pleasing to the eye in my opinion (excluding the fact that you have to wear that UGLY cloak the entire time youre there) and as far as I know there isnt an area of Cappadocia that has such a large underground city in the real world, I know I never saw it. That said, I think that more areas or an extension of the two named areas would have made the game much grander. Perhaps the sprawling city of Rome from Brotherhood has spoiled me in this respect, but I feel this way nonetheless.

The people at Ubisoft Montreal put a lot of work into this game and it does show in several ways, but overall I think it was too rushed. The game felt like it was missing a LOT, a feeling that none of the other games gave me. The story was short and only parts of it were interesting. Most of the main characters (what little they had) were under-developed and pushed aside. Gameplay aspects such as tower defence, the hookblade and missions were also in-complete and lacked enjoy-ability. When I learned that Ubisoft planned to release a new Assassin's Creed every year after AC2, I became worried that the games would lose their polish. I think this is exactly what happened. For something as large in scale and vision as Assassin's Creed, a great deal of time and effort is required to get it just right. The biggest problems in many of todays games come from under-development and the rush to get it released; I am sad to see AC become a victim of this. I am more than willing (and I think others share my opinion on this) to wait more than a year for a game of improved quality. I hope that Ubisoft takes this into consideration in the future.

You might find it hard to believe that I enjoyed this game at all judging from this extensive thread of complaints, but in many ways I did. I enjoyed seeing the conclusion of both Ezio and Altair's story and how Desmond is handling his new life. I enjoyed the Animus fragmented first-person view memories with Desmond and thought they were beautiful in their tranquility and artistic qualities. The updated graphics looked much better to me than some of the previous games, not perfect but better. And of course, all of the basic things that have made this franchise so enjoyable in the past (combat, design, music, story (sort of)). But the positives dont always outweigh the negatives and this game is a good example. It's got the makings of a good game, but falls short on many fronts. If I had to give it a personal rating, it would be a 7/10, MUCH lower than I thought I would ever give an Assassin's Creed game. I hope that some people took the time to read my entire thread but I understand completely that many wont and for good reason.

For those that *did* manage to read this entire topic, I thank you and ask for you own constructive opinions. I know that just because *I* feel a certain way, it doesnt mean that many or any others will. Please give me your honest answer in this.

Thank you again.

-A hopeful Loyal Assassin's Creed fan.

gamertam
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Hello. I too enjoyed AC: Revelations as well. Just not as much as from the previous installments. There are a couple of great potential ideas in Revelations if giving enough time and that extra umph. Such as the hookblade and bombs crafting the game will be superb. I'm not complaining, like i say i did enjoyed it just not as much.

I think Ubisoft did the multi-player right, taking from Brotherhood's and kick up a notch. Sure there are minor flaws but what games isn't these days?. My score of ACR: 8 out of 10. (8.5 would be pushing it for me)

i read on Facebook yesterday and someone stated that Assassin's Creed is a POS. Of course being me, i won't accept that kind of language. Cuss words i don't care about, but labeling AC as POS is un-excuseable and un-neccesary. sigh.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

luckyto
12-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Your review is pretty close to mine, and fear not, mine was even longer. I tend to agree with most every point you made.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1069024/m/3491096769 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/3491096769)

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 09:30 AM
@ Lucky, I actually saved my reply to your review (ran out of time) & I still have yet to add it onto your thread.

Good review.

@ Gamertam,
People w/ comments like that, I don't consider actual AC fans - they need to go play COD or something & just move on.
I rate the game a 9 out of 10 just for the fun of the missions alone (nevermind the other good stuff).

ProdiGurl
12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I just noticed at the end that you asked for comments to your opinions,

These stood out to me:

2. From what i've read on this forum, many people consider the hookblade to be a bad or useless addition to the game. I didnt think that it was that bad and at times truly enjoyable, especially when sliding on the zip-lines. That being said, it seemed like they should have worked on it a bit more. I suppose the city couldnt be completely covered in zip-lines but I thought that there were too few of them to be a viable option for transportation in most situations. In combat I found myself using it very little generally because when I *did* try to use it, it wouldnt work very well.

I loved the Hookblade & how it helped me climb faster - esp. w/ Ezio's age in this one, it was a brilliant addition & a believable one as to how he's able to move faster. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Ziplines were awesome & I loved zip assassinations, just that I had the problem of there not being a guard to kill and lack of ziplines.
Most times when I got a near a zipline to use, I was at the bottom of it looking up at where I needed to be to use it.
One time I was so desperate to zipline, I went ahead & climbed over to that rooftop & slid down to where I started from lol

When (not "if") I lost my den in the minigame, I would literally just run around a corner, stab the captain, climb the tower and the den would be mine again.
LOL If I didn't know better, I'd say I wrote that myself!
I only won 1 den defense out of like 3 & 6 battles (in 2 separate gameplays) and I swear that the only reason I won any was pure luck.
Den defense: Great concept, not so great delivery system.

I'd be happy if they kept it in but just changed the system entirely. It's a nice, realistic challenge.

(SPOILER)
The Young assassin(I cared so little about him that I forgot his name) that first greets you when you enter the city appeared to be a fun and interesting character at first glance. His jovial attitude caught my attention and I assumed he would be given a significant role in the main story and hopefully some other side-missions. Similar to Sophia, his character is cardboard. (SPOILERS!) He fights with you in a few missions and then suddenly dies out of the blue. His death is barely addressed at all, quickly pushed aside by other events and completely forgotten afterwards.

This I can't agree on bcuz I found his character very vibrant & humorous & I immediately bonded w/ him - about as fast as I first bonded w/ Ezio in my first AC play.

Ezio isn't one to get all buddy-buddy w/ people, so this didn't surprise me when they didn't make them as close as Leonardo's character in the previous games.
Leo. was more of an old family friend for many years.

Most of the main characters (what little they had) were under-developed and pushed aside.

The Only character I agree with this on is Sofia.
That was left way too untapped. I know I've mentioned this awhile back before ACR came out when I was playing ACB yet, but I was wanting Ubi to take the direction of going more Rated "R" w/ the physical scenes w/ Ezio's love-life.

I wasn't so much looking for that with more mature characters (which by the way, they built Ezio's maturity perfectly imo), but heck, give us some ROMANCE.
A kiss would have been nice... a sexual comment/inuendo ....ANYTHING......
Throw me a bone here. I was dying. lol

One other that comes in 2nd is that sadistic, nasty dude in Cappadocia. He was torturing Tarik's spies - killing them & he was pretty bloodthirsty, yet the fight took me 2 seconds.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
I know Ezio's good but . . I'd of liked that villain to be more fleshed out & the battle much harder with him.

But other than those 2 who really stick out to me, I was fine with the coverage of all the other characters.

Mikl-90-
12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with what you said, especially about Ahmet who was as boring as they come. Manuel Palailogos or even Shakulu would have fitted that role much better if Ubisoft had developed them enough.