PDA

View Full Version : Ranked play - serious bug ?

big292005
12-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi ...

Today , I played ranked play (in Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition) :

My rating was 1856 (as I remember) , and I played vs. Mateo AI personality (rating 1671 or 1669) .

I won the game by time : ie. Mateo lost by time .

It was written that "this is your first victory against Mateo" etc. , but then it was written
something like "Your rating has been decreased by 16 points and is now 1417."

1417 ??? It was 1856 and I beat Mateo by time ... how it could be 1417 ?

I think this is a serious bug , isn't it ?

And the new rating was really 1417 after that game vs. Mateo ...

Thanks in advance ,
Lior . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Haratta
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I think that your problem is that your rating is still provisional.If you have played only a few games, your rating can fluctuate several hundred points.I have even heard that you can go down in rating sometimes,even when you win,if your rating is still provisional.Hope it is so and no bug!

diskamyl
12-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Haratta:
I think that your problem is that your rating is still provisional.If you have played only a few games, your rating can fluctuate several hundred points.I have even heard that you can go down in rating sometimes,even when you win,if your rating is still provisional.Hope it is so and no bug!

maybe, you may have logged in with a different (previous) account of yours, where your rating was different, of course.

and if not, it's normal to lose points even when you win against a very lower rated opponent. be sure to check out how your rating will change when you win, lose or draw before starting the game. I think it's unlikely to have such bug.

edit: OH, now I get it. it is most probably because you actually have 3 different ratings: blitz, standard and overall rating. in the pop up windows when the game finishes, it first states how your rating change according to the type of time control. only at the end of that report it will state the overall rating. they are different most of the time, and they change differently too.

dlesterubisoft
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't know. I think something is definitely wrong with rated play.

I just played Frederic today. I was rated 2464 and he is rated 2862. I won, though the win was classified as disputed (meaning the lead changed during the game).

Anyway, after winning, and thinking I would be able to take on the full ChessMaster at that point, instead my rating dropped to 2064. Besides that, now I can't even play Frederic anymore because he is too high of a rating.

I think there is definitely a bug here.

diskamyl
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by dlesterubisoft:
I don't know. I think something is definitely wrong with rated play.

I just played Frederic today. I was rated 2464 and he is rated 2862. I won, though the win was classified as disputed (meaning the lead changed during the game).

Anyway, after winning, and thinking I would be able to take on the full ChessMaster at that point, instead my rating dropped to 2064. Besides that, now I can't even play Frederic anymore because he is too high of a rating.

I think there is definitely a bug here.

(off topic: wow, do you have a master title?)

have you read the above posts about the different ratings (blitz, standart and overall)?

dlesterubisoft
12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by diskamyl:

No, I don't have a master title. I don't even have a rating. I have been studying for about three years now and plan to attend my first tournament in the spring. There isn't anything like that where I live, so it is a significant effort to drive 2 hours or more to reach a tournament site, then there is the cost of the hotel and such. If there were local options I would at least have a rating, but to be honest I have no idea.

diskamyl
12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diskamyl:

No, I don't have a master title. I don't even have a rating. I have been studying for about three years now and plan to attend my first tournament in the spring. There isn't anything like that where I live, so it is a significant effort to drive 2 hours or more to reach a tournament site, then there is the cost of the hotel and such. If there were local options I would at least have a rating, but to be honest I have no idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad to hear those, because I'm planning to do exactly the same thing: Study by myself using all I've got except human beings for a while (maybe 5 years or so) and then attend to tournaments and see what I can do after that.

I would be very glad if you post your results in that tournament at that time in this forum.

and to get back to the topic now, are you sure that the rating which dropped to 2064, was the same kind of rating with 2464?

that means, could it be possible, that your overall rating is somewhere below 2000 and your blitz rating is 2464, and after you won agains Frederic, it was your overall rating you noticed to become 2064 which was actually increased?

if you are certainly sure about this, then please post this into the 'CM11 buglist' (or something similar) thread. This really looks serious.

dlesterubisoft
12-07-2007, 08:04 PM
All the games I have played have been with the same time controls, G/60, so I don't see how I could be getting hit with a multiple game type rating classification.

That being said, I can't replicate it either. I played someone lower (still over 2000 though), then beat Frederic one more time, then I was able to play the full Chessmaster opponent. I haven't had a repeat of the scenario where I lost rating points.

That was certainly an interesting experience, though. The Chessmaster personality is much stronger than Frederic. I was fighting for my life through the entire game. I was almost certain to lose, then found a perpetual check to salvage a draw. I haven't tried again yet, but it was brutal.

For whatever it is worth, not all my play is against computers. I get quite a bit of practice vs human opponents online as well (not on Chessmaster). I play either on ICC or PlayChess.

Chessmaster is a great program for learning and teaching chess, but anyone who buys it for online play needs to have their head examined.

dlesterubisoft
12-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I just noticed at the bottom of my post that I regestered on December 22nd, 2004. I am almost to my three year anniversary of studying. How interesting.

diskamyl
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
All the games I have played have been with the same time controls, G/60, so I don't see how I could be getting hit with a multiple game type rating classification.

That being said, I can't replicate it either. I played someone lower (still over 2000 though), then beat Frederic one more time, then I was able to play the full Chessmaster opponent. I haven't had a repeat of the scenario where I lost rating points.

That was certainly an interesting experience, though. The Chessmaster personality is much stronger than Frederic. I was fighting for my life through the entire game. I was almost certain to lose, then found a perpetual check to salvage a draw. I haven't tried again yet, but it was brutal.

For whatever it is worth, not all my play is against computers. I get quite a bit of practice vs human opponents online as well (not on Chessmaster). I play either on ICC or PlayChess.

Chessmaster is a great program for learning and teaching chess, but anyone who buys it for online play needs to have their head examined.

I think being able to defeat frederic and drawing CM in 3 years of chess study is wonderful. may I ask, what is your rating on ICC and Playchess, and are they close to any non-provisional rating CM series have given to you?

and may I also ask your study program http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
how much time do you spend really?
3 years is quite short, and I'm just curious.

dlesterubisoft
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, the draw against CM seems to be a bit of a fluke. Subsequent games have been a loss, except for the one where I kept pausing the engine so I could think on the board. The one where I drew was a position where I was really being badly beaten, he just got his king out in the open where I could keep chasing it around with my queen. Ultimately it ended in a 3 fold repetition.

My ICC and Playchess ratings have gone over 2000 before, but they are usually in the 1900s.

I don't really have a 'study program' per se. I got back into chess almost by accident. I was working out of town and had some dead time in the evenings. I was at a local mall and saw ChessmasterX and thought, "Hey, I haven't played chess in a long time." and bought it to load on my laptop. I did all the CMX lessons and played a little online.

Then I started looking for local chess activities, and the only thing I could find was a small scholastic chess club. I started volunteering there and found that I was getting beaten by kids I was supposed to be helping, so I started looking for ways to improve.

I spend up to two hours each evening playing in some capacity or another, after the wife and kid have gone to bed. Regardless of what else I do, I always start by doing at least 50 tactics puzzles. My favorite way is to do the ones on Chess Tactics Server because they scale the problem difficulty automatically, but that site does have the drawback that it makes you solve the problems rather quickly. After tactics practice I will either play a game or look at a GM game from the database. I also have some Daniel King "How Good Is Your Chess" distributions that are really quite excellent.

I still find one of the most fascinating parts of the game, and something I could stand to learn a lot more about, to be the pawns. There really isn't much good information on that topic that I have ever found, but they really do seem to be the key to many positions.

diskamyl
12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
thanks for the response, it's nice to hear someone who can improve by studying a few hours a day.

have you heard of the books "winning pawn structures" or "pawn power in chess" ? maybe you could be interested.

Basics2007
12-14-2007, 09:27 AM
"A pawn is a pawn" Dlui de la Palice. This should underline the importance of a pawn and the fact that they are not infinite.

dlesterubisoft
12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
True, my statement about pawns is hardly revolutionary. But, when you start out in chess almost everyone will tell you to study tactics or study endgames. You don't ever hear anyone saying to study pawns.

I think that is for good reason, as the tactical study will take you farther, faster. But, once you have done a bunch of tactical study I think you find the caliber of opponent to start working you over as they don't make a tactical blunder you can take advantage of, but they eventually beat you and frequently you aren't really sure how they did it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif