PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood team, on behalf of fellow fans.

LadyVe
06-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I know this is definitely not a good place to post something like this, but since the Ubisoft site lacks a valid e-mail address, my fellow fans (whom helped me compose this letter), told me to post it here. So here it goes.

Dear sir/madam,

First of all, let me inform you that I have been a great fan of the games you produce at Ubisoft Montreal, namely the Prince of Persia series and Assassinís Creed. It is about the latter that I wish to point out some issues that have arisen in our fandom (for this letter is written on the behalf of a number of fellow fans, both male and female, and a result of many discussions on the subject), all due to the latest news concerning this franchise.

I will start off with the Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood trailer. Honestly, the trailer in itself is utterly astonishing. If I will have to wait another year for the official Assassinís Creed III but will have the joy of playing this game, I wonít have a reason to complain at all.

My issue with this trailer, however, is the representation of Caterina Sforza in it. As you are the team of that created the game, I am certain that you have done a great deal of research on this real life historical character. In fact, this is proven to us in the database of Assassinís Creed II. Therefore, the way she is shown in your newest trailer is rather offending, both to the fans who love the character and to the real person.

This, however, has little to do with the fact that we saw her engage in sexual intercourse with protagonist Ezio Auditore. It is rather that she is in Monteriggioni in the first place. In real life, as you have confirmed in your own database, Caterina was in ForlŪ when Cesare Borgia attacked and fought to protect her city before she was captured. Then in your trailer, she is captured as she is providing, to use one of your lovely quotes from the game, an ďoutletĒ for Ezio. Also, I recall you pointed out in the previous game that she was a good mother. She wasnít willing to sacrifice them in the Battle Of ForlŪ, yet she is perfectly fine with abandoning them for a roll in the sheets with the main character? Please excuse me for stating this, but this whole reeks of ďout of characterĒ behaviour and terrible twisting of history while, so far, you have done a pretty good job at keeping historical facts intact. Yet most of all, seems like just an attempt to make Ezio look unrealistically succesful in his love life.

Please donít get me wrong, I adore the character of Ezio Auditore. Always did and always will: he is one of the things that made Assassin's Creed II fantastic. In all honesty, seeing what a womanizer he is, I also don't think he'll ever settle and that's fine with me. Still, it does seem rather pretentious to me, and a lot of AC fans I've spoken to, that he would be able to bag a real historical person and manage to have offspring with her. Especially when so much is known about this person and we can practically trace her line back to the present day, therefore suddenly making Desmond Miles the descendent of someone famous. This would be like AltaÔr Ibn Laíahad suddenly having a secret bastard child with Queen Sybilla of Jerusalem and I think youíll agree with me that such an notion sounds ridiculous.

If you wish to use the argument that, around the time Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood ends, Caterina still has an age where she could still be a mother, I also disagree. I have calculated that she will be forty by then. For example, another female character, Rosa (with whom Ezio was shown to have far more of a connection throughout Assassinís Creed II) will be forty-three years old. Three years makes little to no difference and I myself know plenty of women who still have (first) children around this age. Aside from that, isnít it strange if Rosa, Ezioís close friend and love interest for at least ten years as the game shows, would be brushed off as Ďunimportantí all of a sudden, in favour for a character Ezio has only seen twice in his life so far?

The fact that Caterina would suit him because she is also a noble is also something I donít agree on. If the Auditore are truly as infamous as you claimed during the Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood gameplay commentary, the chance that any nobleman will give Ezio his daughter will be rather small. As such, I donít think thereís much pressure on whom would be the mother of his children, especially since heís practically the man of the house already.

Therefore, I hope you will make a wise decision in where the line of Ezio Auditore will end. Ezio is great, but in the grand scheme of things, he remains a fictional character among many characters that are supposed to represent history. Therefore, I think he should only be treated as such. I sincerely hope youíll make it so that it will be believable to the fans and he will not, at the last minute, transform from a good credible character into a Mary Sue: a character with too great achievements and lack of flaws to still be considered interesting or good.

Now, I will address my second reason for writing this letter, which is Ubisoftís decision to release an Assassinís Creed game annually. As Iíve mentioned before, if all of these will be of the quality of Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood and would contribute to the storyline of the franchise, I donít mind this: in fact, I'll happily embrace it. However, I think this goal is nigh impossible and as such, I take issue with this decision.

In my essays, I have often complained about how good game series often turn into cash cows once theyíre found to be successful. The creators churn out several more titles for the franchise, simply assuming that the title will seduce fans into buying it. After all, we cannot bear the fact our beloved series would ever end.

This, in my opinion, truly seems like insulting the intelligence of the people who essentially pay for your house and car. To most gamers, especially the growing population of female gamers, gaming is far more than picking up a controller to pass some time. As with novels, movies and television series, we actually love the characters and storylines this medium is capable of providing. We cherish them and, if a series must end to preserve something great and original, we have peace with that. Certainly, we are sad it is over, but we are satisfied to know that the creators truly loved their creation enough to end it when the story had reached its full potential.

In the Prince of Persia franchise, for example, this mentality is thoroughly carried out. Granted, the 2008 Prince of Persia was a good but not spectacular game and the Forgotten Sands was a midquel, but at least it was established that The Two Thrones was truly the end of the main story and it wasnít milked to produce yet another continuation. This kind of respect and actual care for creativity is a blessing to any medium, but especially to games. If this kind of attitude is applied to the Assassinís Creed franchise, its fans will do nothing but cheer for your apparent mindfulness of something they love.

As this letter has gone on for too long now, I will wrap this up. As I have said before, I love the creations that Ubisoft Montreal releases and I can only sincerely hope you will take the time to read this letter and will not shrug it off as ďjust a complaining fanĒ. It is not my intent to complain, only to give you an insight into your (at least a part of) target group and attempt to make the very best of whatever the future of the Assassinís Creed franchise may be.

Yours sincerely,

A happy gamer and a Ubisoft enthusiast to the core.

EzioAssassin51
06-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow! Great Work mate!

I enjoyed reading your letter! But i'm a little surprised about how much you're making a fuss over this.

Only like 1 in 1000 people would really care about who Ezio has a love life with and how that would change history/go against history. For us, it's mostly in there for a little entertainment between missions (i don't meet that kind of entertainment http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif) and to make him a bit more realistic (people are like that!)

Besides, how do we know that Caterina didn't get a close friend/family member, like the one with her children in Battle of Forli, look after her children in the meantime?

Besides, it's better they are at Montergiorni (sp?) because that is where Ezio's home is so it makes sense doesn't it, for them to be there. The walled village pretty much serves as Forli, seeing as she is captured anyway (no doubt there will be a mission to save her), and besides, it adds to the story. It wouldn't have made much sense if Forli was destroyed, seeing as that doesn't have as much significance as Montergiorni (sp?) does story wise.

As for the Annual thing, that is mostly just for the extentions like Bloodlines. The big ones like AC3 would be coming out every 2 - 3 years so don't fret. They will still work hard on AC3, it's just that Brotherhood is a bit bigger than Bloodlines etc. because it will be on the big consoles as opposed to just the PSP.

But as i said, good letter, good read and i hope it is noticed.

EA51 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Engioc
06-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Not sure AC has ever really tried to remain true to history, they bend the truth in order to suit their story and has no real bearing on real life. There are really very few games that do attempt to portray history as it really was, this is a game not a history lesson.

Just as the argument that its anti religion seems wrong (to me) so does this. At worst AC simply puts forward an alternate view on history. It should be taken as a game, nothing more.

Bowcaster
06-20-2010, 07:09 AM
@Engioc: Though Assassin's Creed is a game, I would have to say that it does teach some history, though with a skewed view of it, and I think many people would agree that they have learned something from the series.

For example I never knew that assassin's were originally from Arabia, and I have learned a lot about the Medici and other Renascence Italian families.

Engioc
06-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Bowcaster77:
@Engioc: Though Assassin's Creed is a game, I would have to say that it does teach some history, though with a skewed view of it, and I think many people would agree that they have learned something from the series.

For example I never knew that assassin's were originally from Arabia, and I have learned a lot about the Medici and other Renascence Italian families.

I'm not saying there is nothing real in this game but to expect realism is asking too much. They take realism and then bend it to their story and making a fuss about who Ezio sleeps with is hardly something to worry about simply because historically it's incorrect. If AC was all about history and realism we wouldn't be doing any of what we do, assassins were real and yes did come from Arabia, but they also didn't openly fight in the streets, and also rarely actually killed their target, more often than not they simply left some kind of warning to let them know they were at risk if they continued with their current actions.

I'd say be thankful Assassin's Creed does at least tell you the truth and let's you know that their story isn't necessarily what really happened. Many other games are not historically accurate either and don't bother to tell you, they just tell you their story and leave it at that. Your left to work out how accurate it was on your own.

PlagueDoctor357
06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Awesome letter.

Just want to point out that they never say she was captured with Ezio. In the database of AC2 it does say Forli.

That trailer starts in 1499 and ends in 1503. This game will have some years on it also, so im assuming we'll either get the message that Caterina has been captured.

Or, after 10 in game years have passed, we'll just find her and break her out with her white hairdoo.

D_Jexs
06-20-2010, 11:42 AM
you shouldn't say on behalf of fellow fans because you should never talk in absolutes because there is a good chance you will be wrong

Murcuseo
06-20-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm prosuming the majority of the contributors to this letter were women... or avid historians I suppose lol

albertwesker22
06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Ezio is a ladies man. Don't expect him to settle down with Rosa and start a family just yet. Ezio doesn't have a 10 year relationship with Rosa. They flirt and probably have sex from time to time but there didn't seem to be an exclusive relationship going on.

As for Caterina, she was clearly attracted to Ezio from the beginning, frankly i'm surprised they didn't sleep together in the first place. There is also no evidence that Ezio has settled down with Caterina, it could simply be an afair.

lilbacchant
06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by albertwesker22:
Ezio is a ladies man. Don't expect him to settle down with Rosa and start a family just yet. Ezio doesn't have a 10 year relationship with Rosa. They flirt and probably have sex from time to time but there didn't seem to be an exclusive relationship going on.

As for Caterina, she was clearly attracted to Ezio from the beginning, frankly i'm surprised they didn't sleep together in the first place. There is also no evidence that Ezio has settled down with Caterina, it could simply be an afair.

Yeah, the OP made a heap of assumptions based upon that playthru-trailer. Chastising the developers based on such premature speculation seems rather absurd to me ...

bokeef04
06-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:
Awesome letter.

Just want to point out that they never say she was captured with Ezio. In the database of AC2 it does say Forli.

That trailer starts in 1499 and ends in 1503. This game will have some years on it also, so im assuming we'll either get the message that Caterina has been captured.

Or, after 10 in game years have passed, we'll just find her and break her out with her white hairdoo.

at the end of the gameplay video you see her with Cesare, look on the left of the screen, and considering she is freed from imprisonment in 1501 and dies in 1509, it's unlikely we will be busting her out of anywhere in 1509(although she did die of a mysterious relapse of pneumonia, maybe she was assassinated, maybe she becomes a templar?)

to the OP, just because Caterina is an 'outlet' for Ezio doesn't mean she is having his children, if you notice he has had sex with atleast 3 other women that we know about, also i'm sure Caterina hints at wanting to sleep with him when you rescue her in Forli(when your heading to venice the first time)

also Caterina didn't defend Forli from Cesare till 1500, a year after the attack on Ezio's villa, it's possible she escapes or is rescued and she returns to Forli

a thought i just had, Cesare has the POE, maybe he just made Ezio see that, maybe he wasn't really shot, remember how Al Mualim made Altair think he was stabbed

SanadapridE30
06-20-2010, 07:08 PM
When I watched the singleplayer trailer I really hated the new gameplay of Assassin's Creed II: Brotherhood and that really me off on why they have to go a different direction to the game that I loved so much by putting in this crappy gameplay.
<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter</span>

Murcuseo
06-21-2010, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by SanadapridE30:
When I watched the singleplayer trailer I really hated the new gameplay of Assassin's Creed II: Brotherhood and that really me off on why they have to go a different direction to the game that I loved so much by putting in this crappy gameplay.

It's about majority, when it comes to gameplay you're outranked in opinion by the mass percentage of other people who were disappointed with the gameplay in ACII.

Unfortunately for you, you're in the minority and they can't keep everyone happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bokeef04
06-21-2010, 05:09 AM

what new gameplay didn't you like? the addition of the cannon part? the faster paced fighting?

Engioc
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter</span>

Could you try being a little more specific about exactly what gameplay you don't like?

To me it doesn't look that different to AC2 in terms of combat. I still prefer AC1 but I think the main problems with combat in AC2 and perhaps ACB is in AI awareness of what's happening, the slow reaction time, inability to work as a team, call for assistance. Even the crowd seem very limited, they either run away scared, or just stand around and watch while you slaughter a dozen or more guards, I mean if they want a gladiator show maybe they should visit the Colosseum. Also how many times do you see citizens running scared, running past guards, who have no reaction at all to the person(s) running/screaming. They should start moving quicker towards the area people are running from, or at least question people if its only 1 or 2.

I still think this whole topic is a bit of a joke http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif :
Letter to the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood team, on behalf of fellow fans.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Caterina Sforza's naval appears to be 3.1 millimeters further to the left than it should be. Therefore, the way she is shown in your newest trailer is rather offending, both to the fans who love the character and to the real person, despite the fact she's been dead for a century or two. Further more her sex life was not historically accurate either, despite the fact it was probably public knowledge as to who she was and wasn't sleeping with at that time. If she was to be reborn by the powers of Eden she would certainly be offended.

Yours sincerely,

A happy gamer and a Ubisoft enthusiast to the core, except when they're not 100% historically accurate, or produce cheap yearly updates. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

P.S. Although much of what I've said is also historically inaccurate that is because I did my research in the same manner as Ubisoft, hence the inaccurate results.

lilbacchant
06-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Y-know what I found dubious about Caterina's portrayal? That the first thought she apparently had after a cannonball came crashing thru the wall was, "I better keep this sheet up so as not to expose my breasts." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Geinref
06-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Y-know what I found dubious about Caterina's portrayal? That the first thought she apparently had after a cannonball came crashing thru the wall was, "I better keep this sheet up so as not to expose my breasts." Googly

ROFL! I bet she got used to having her enemies shoot cannonballs purposely so she can run out bare-chested!

I honestly think this game is awesome, after owning AC1 over 13 times and AC2 over 8 times, I think this game will fit perfectly with the name! I just hope they build upon the story and give us something cool. Here's hoping that for a darker story where everyone dies, including ezio lol! I don't know but after watching the intro to this game it sort of gave off this foreshadowing on how ezio might just die.

Then again his new enemy, Cesare is a lot younger then Ezio.

AleCylon
06-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I just want to say smth: I dont like the whay they are using DLC structure. first is totally true that the 2 DLCs were just aprt of the game they new will ne be done by the game launch and sell them later. bad!, now no more DLC i can bet will ever come to AC2 and now we have ACB that IMHO should be a payable DLC for AC2, is a multiplayer component + some missions and a new city brifelly visited before. Still I consider that is not in the best of everyone use this (stand alone full price expansion policy) whenDLCs are already replace that distribution model.

Great letter BTW.

bokeef04
06-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Caotico69:
I just want to say smth: I dont like the whay they are using DLC structure. first is totally true that the 2 DLCs were just aprt of the game they new will ne be done by the game launch and sell them later. bad!, now no more DLC i can bet will ever come to AC2 and now we have ACB that IMHO should be a payable DLC for AC2, is a multiplayer component + some missions and a new city brifelly visited before. Still I consider that is not in the best of everyone use this (stand alone full price expansion policy) whenDLCs are already replace that distribution model.

Great letter BTW.

you are aware that the Rome gamemap is something like 4 times larger than florence? i don't know about you, but i don't want to be trying to download that as DLC