PDA

View Full Version : Got it and learning quickly!

gnipper1977
04-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Hi folks, just thought id post to comment on the game.

Got it for a ridiculously cheap price and had a play around with the exams - passed them all and got to the final convoy exam.. Now I realise that the exam is just really a test but how fun was that!! Had to leave for work but I was so late leaving cos i was enjoying myself so much.

Used all my torps (prolly missed with 80% of them), surfaced and took out the rest of the convoy with the deck gun... which was fun. Luckily I took out the destroyer with one torpedo and only had the armed trawler to deal with - he didnt last too long.

Cant wait to get into my first campaign - tho ill have to wait till i get in tonight!! GAH! Love it!

For what its worth I have had no crashes etc. and everything seems to run fine... My spec is:

Athlon XP 2500+ (overclocked to 3200+)
1gb DDR 3200 RAM (i think, or it could be 2700 actually LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif )
Geforce 6800GT
MSI K7N Delta ILSR Mobo

Cant wait to get home tonight - any tips on my early career missions - i.e. things ill need to learn quickly?

gnipper1977
04-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Hi folks, just thought id post to comment on the game.

Got it for a ridiculously cheap price and had a play around with the exams - passed them all and got to the final convoy exam.. Now I realise that the exam is just really a test but how fun was that!! Had to leave for work but I was so late leaving cos i was enjoying myself so much.

Used all my torps (prolly missed with 80% of them), surfaced and took out the rest of the convoy with the deck gun... which was fun. Luckily I took out the destroyer with one torpedo and only had the armed trawler to deal with - he didnt last too long.

Cant wait to get into my first campaign - tho ill have to wait till i get in tonight!! GAH! Love it!

For what its worth I have had no crashes etc. and everything seems to run fine... My spec is:

Athlon XP 2500+ (overclocked to 3200+)
1gb DDR 3200 RAM (i think, or it could be 2700 actually LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif )
Geforce 6800GT
MSI K7N Delta ILSR Mobo

Cant wait to get home tonight - any tips on my early career missions - i.e. things ill need to learn quickly?

deckchair5
04-07-2005, 02:03 AM
The fun is in the learning but beware your sonar man is a dog and needs a good smacking. Do the stuff yourself and don't trust him. (I think he's a spy).

Do your mission orders then go HUNTING!

If you want a job done properly then do it your self so learn how to do manual torpedo targeting.

Enjoy!

Mongoose6T7
04-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Be warned, the game is really addictive! Some people seem to find the career game tedious, but if you like non-scripted structure and watching your crew grow in experience and become more capable, you will love it.

You will gain reknown as you progress through your career which you can spend to access upgrades, new boats and better crew. Be aware that if you want to try out the Type XXI late in the game, you will need to save up 30000 in reknown.

Good luck.

Nukem_Hicks
04-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Watch out: this game is EXTREMELY addicting. I was (un)fortunate enough to find out that I'd made it into law school immediately after buying the game. Naturally, my thinking was along the lines of "cool, now I just need to pass my classes rather than actually do well in them, meaning I can play lots of SHIII! Three weeks later my girlfriend is complaining that I don't spend enough time with her, my friends think I'm dead, and my profs are threatening to fail me if I don't start showing up for class! I might have to uninstall it until after finals...it sucks away your life!

gnipper1977
04-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Aye, this game IS very addictive and im only in the acadamy!!

Thing is with most sims i get bored quickly and get spaced out when trying things on full realism - this one tho is different. I WANT to be able to aim my torps manually, i WANT to plan courses and things whilst worrying about fuel and crew fatigue. PLUS the visuals are simply stunning.. i could sit all day and JUST watch the sea..

I want to go home from work now and sink some ships... GAH, bloomin mortgages!

Dominicrigg
04-07-2005, 08:22 AM
You know mortgage is old english for Death tax, meaning you pay it till you die. Mort, guage.

Scary huh...

But on a brighter note check out my website for hints and tips on the game, it will give you a decent insight into what you should be doing ect, and give you a bit more of the knowledge of a real U-Boat captain! (i hope..)