PDA

View Full Version : Real life piloting question

BaldieJr
01-03-2005, 03:52 PM
How does one properly request clearance to land?

BaldieJr
01-03-2005, 03:52 PM
How does one properly request clearance to land?

MEGILE
01-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Mother Goose, Mother Goose, this is Big Bird requesting landing.

FI_Willie
01-03-2005, 04:07 PM
WE used to announce to the controller on his frequency, our type of A/c, the plane number, and that we were x number of miles out and inbound for landing. The controller would acknowledge your request and give you your marching orders from there.

At uncontrolled fields, you generally broadcast your intentions form 5 or so miles out, your position in relation to the field and that you were inbound for landing and and preparing to enter the pattern, midfield or whatever. That isn't required at an uncontrolled field but rather a courtesy. A lot of the old cr@p I used to fly didn't even have radios.. Trying to get a green light to land was interesting sometimes.

BaldieJr
01-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Considering the limitations of shoot (http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/) and il2/fb/aep/pf, would this be satisfactory?

baldie* tower inbound

* the profile i'm working on starts ai comms (TAB) using your preferred callsign. My understanding is that this adheres to protocol: please correct me if I'm wrong.

FI_Willie
01-03-2005, 06:30 PM
After looking at the IL2 Profile of that application, I don't see anything wrong with what you're trying to tell the tower.

T_O_A_D
01-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Man I got to get around to trying to train mine again. I keep telling myself to do it but a big fat lazy bone keeps getting in the way.

FI_Willie
01-03-2005, 06:44 PM
LOL TOAD.

My plate is full right now. I can't even keep my TrackIr running right.

But then again, I'M OLD!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

BaldieJr
01-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Its worth the effort toad.

I've a thick southern twang and it hits 100% after training.

I'll have more questions concerning this in the future. Most of us have programable HOTAS and therefore no need for things like "Gear".

If I can work out a workable structure, I may add some online capabilites.

Quicky example:
I Say:
baldie group tally two angels three zero zero sector alpha one three over

and it types:
` tally 2 ALT 300m Sector A13 ENTER MY_ARMY (i think?) ENTER

huggy87
01-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Well in navy speak...

Plane: "Tower, Expert 11, 10 to the southeast for the carrier."

Tower: "Expert 11, report the carrier, runway 32L."

Plane: "Expert 11, numbers."

Tower: "Expert 11, you are cleared to break."

Plane: "Expert 11, abeam, gear, full stop."

Tower: "Expert 11, you are cleared to land runway 32L, winds 330 at 7."

At the boat, case 1 (daytime, VFR weather) it is all comm out and you don't need clearance to land.

VonKlugermon
01-03-2005, 06:52 PM
For civilian:

Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) at

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs

Willy

han freak solo
01-03-2005, 07:41 PM
My old flight instructor said it this way...

Tell the tower "Who you are, where you are, and what you want to do." G. Beausoleil at TSTI, 1985.

Daiichidoku
01-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Depends on where and how you are landing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

|CoB|_Spectre
01-04-2005, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by han freak solo:
My old flight instructor said it this way...

Tell the tower "Who you are, where you are, and what you want to do." G. Beausoleil at TSTI, 1985. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty much the way I was taught. It would sound something like this:

"(name of airport) Tower, Warbird (N number) inbound from the south twelve miles at two thousand five hundred for a full stop (or "touch and go" or "request the option"). You've just told them who you are, where you are, and what you want to do. Different classes of controlled airspace have different rules and distance requirements prior to entry. Assuming we're applying this to our favorite sim, we'll keep it simple along the lines of Class D airspace. It's been awhile, but some of our current pilots can tell us if it's changed. In general, be clear, be concise and be brief.

BaldieJr
01-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Ok, I've altered it a bit:

Your_Callsign tower inbound full stop

Any input on take-off requests?

|CoB|_Spectre
01-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Again, use the same basic format of "who you are, where you are, what you want". In this case we will assume you have already asked for, and received, clearance to taxi to the "duty runway". In reality you would stop at the runway's "hold short" line until given permission to pull onto the runway, but only the original demo version of IL-2 let us start on the ramp and taxi to the runway. Now we start lined up and holding for takeoff on the assigned runway, so we'll assume the tower has given us permission to "position and hold" on the active runway. Communication for takeoff:

(airfield name) Tower, Warbird (N number) ready for takeoff, runway (give runway number).

The runway number corresponds to magnetic heading rounded off to the tens place. For instance, runways would be announced thusly:

Mag. Hdg 025 "Runway three"
Mag. Hdg 060 "Runway six"
Mag. Hdg due east "Runway niner"
Mag. Hdg due south "Runway one-eight"
Mag. Hdg due west "Runway two-seven"
Mag. Hdg due north "Runway three-six"

Notice it is understood that the 0 (zero) is in the units place. Only figures in the tens and hundreds are announced.

On those large airfields with parallel runways, you simply add which runway of the magnetic heading you're on.

"Runway niner left" if you're on the left hand runway facing due east, "Runway three-six right" if you're on the righthand runway facing due north, etc. I hope this helps rather than confuses.

Stackhouse25th
01-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I know down south much of the ATC's and the pilots are kinda redneck like in their speakin N their drinkin. I can tell you that down south a lot of the fellas are laxed on what they 'want' when theyr flying their birds. Heres an excerpt from such an event.

"Yo tower, this is one bad a%$ airplane comin in for a landin, clear the airspace this sucker is hard to land".

When they've got the tunes on in the cockpit and a wee bit too much to drink...it's a bit more like this.

"yo yo tower, im comin in for a landin get them the %^$# out of my way".

FI_Willie
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I got yelled at by the tower for telling him I was NORDO and inbound for landing...

NORDO=No Radio

He failed to see the humor.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

It was a civilian field in Texas with a daylight only tower, and I knew the anal sphincter in the tower.

BaldieJr
01-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Although I appreciate the help, I'm starting to get confused.

If you know how shoot works, how the game works, and how real-life comms work, then you know what I'm up against with shoot.

Example:
I start a mission on the runway.
Because I'm a sim-head, I want to request take off clearance from FB/PF AI.
Normally I'd press tab, 8, and 6 (or was it 5?).

Using shoot, I can speak a command into my mic and shoot will handle the keystrokes.

I've decided to use my callsign as the "tab" trigger. Every time I speak my callsign shoot opens the comms.

The next word I say is the recipient of the message (just as in game). Right now I'm saying "Tower" to call home. Therefore:

[Baldie (tab)] [Tower (8)] [vector home plate (3)]

So far, so good. Where I run into problems is trying to add brevity to brevity: shorting things even more; so usage is quick to learn AND quick to use ...

requesting permission to take-off

Too many words. It takes too long to say. Shoot works pretty good, but you don't want to throw too much at it: every word is a possible failure!

Clear as mud?

WhiskeyBravo
01-05-2005, 04:09 AM
'Request Departure'?

In RAF speak the protocol is 'His callsign, your callsign,......message........'

eg

'Tower, Baldie, Request Departure'
'Baldie, Tower, clear takeoff surface wind 260 12 knots'

The word 'takeoff' is only used in a specific clearance to avoid any misunderstandings with other aircraft on the same frequency.

Good Luck with the voicerec stuff Baldie, just dont assign bailout to a voice command cos I dont think the software is good enough yet. I've been there:

'Hey guys I'm RTB low on fuel. That was a good mission, I'm just passing Carentan at 12000 feet......WTF? Oh fecking voicerec just bailed me out!'

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

WB.

F19_Ob
01-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Well...I fly mostly il-2's online and I usually dont have to worry about landing or clearence.
A one way ticket. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif