PDA

View Full Version : Last Mission

Kohler794
09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

Will someone please tell me how to beat this level. I have tried every thing that i can think of but the fact that the Russians can rush you so early so hard is ridiculous. I mean really how are you supposed to defend yourself from heavy thanks that can out range you and paratroopers that obviously cost nothing. Oh and i refuse to lower the level to easy. I've beaten the other levels on medium and i can do it with this on too!

JamesDSidious
09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
i just beat this mission today on my first try.

all i did was haiding recons and anti tank guns in the woods surrounding the city. also put some infanty with them for protection. before i knew it time was over and i got the nuclear long tom.

with this weapon in your hands you won't have any troubles finishing the mission.

Kohler794
09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
So your telling me that his air forse or arty didn't bother you!?

entropy68
09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
What I did was immediately drop paratroops into the trees near Camp Pershing and Camp Washington (the green bases to your rear and left flank. In the first couple minutes the computer will drop paratroops there and take them over. You can either kill the enemy paratroops as they drop (surprise attacks from woods) or let them capture the buildings then use your paras to capture them back. It's especially important to prevent them from taking Washington to your rear as it lies along the road where the long-tom will have to go. It will also make defending your base MUCH easier.

Axe99
09-26-2010, 03:38 PM
It is beatable (I've knocked it over on hard, although it took me a few attempts) - didn't even realise about the green bases (D'oh! - if you take them over, it'll be much easier).

But say you're dopey and don't realise about the bases to the rear....

I stacked infantry and AT in the forests (all around, as they'll come at you from behind if you don't cap the bases) and built a stick of Whirbelwinds and a few arty units to engage his soft units (recon, inf) at distance.

It was a bit touch-and-go, but this arrangement held off the tank/inf attack, and aircraft (and your arty should 'counter-arty' when he uses it. Once the Long-tom dropped, I sent a Puma back to where it comes in (the path between was undefended), and then took it back to base slowly, nuking things on the way.

_Almost_ held onto the second front, but his airpower got the better of me there, before I'd had a chance to build up a critical mass of AA.

Great final mission, pretty tough but that's what final missions are for!

kalijon
09-27-2010, 02:12 AM
I've been playing this on hard, and I've had some luck capturing the base to the left after the initial rush, however it is expensive in that you need to assign a lot of infantry to the task, as they quickly populate the area with anti-tank/anti-air units.

I like the idea to use paratroopers to capture camp pershing. Having about 8 anti-tank guns and about 10 infantry in the forest to the north, plus flanked by anti tank bunkers just at the lower tip, closer to my base, I was able to hold off the northern rush easily. Especially with the help of the Terror ruse (useful ruse that)
Recently, I've been getting rushed hard from the south, so using paratroopers to take out the installation early seems ideal.

Joppsta
09-27-2010, 04:18 AM
Loved the last mission, it was a harsh ***** but god it felt good completing it.

I used terror on the eastern camp, that allowed that to hold itself and just bombarded the southern with morsers. I use the Germans since they have the best quality equipment.. and in a war of attrition like this, that's what you're wanting. Also their Wirbelwind seems invaluable since it's a mean machine against air forces!

I also had a bunch of fighters ready to take out air units in addition to AA.. worked well for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Held both primary and secondary bases. If you hold the second it does make life a lot easier.. and a tactic i used is to station some paras in the treeline of the road that leads to that base. With regards to morsers, i used them to arty their bases and producation facilities that were within range. 5 of them work wonders on any soft targets http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maus tanks are nice defenses .. the key is to keep your AT positions in the treeline alive with recon support, for that's your main front. If you hold onto the eastern base then that should cause no problems and the western base, well, i nuked that with the LT but they do send infantry rushes so keep a wirbelwind over their and maybe a tank just in case. I always have recon on 3 sides of the base + a recon plane. You can never have too much recon in RUSE.