PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X52 controller

BSS_SECA
12-27-2005, 02:50 PM
S~ All

I'm looking into the X52.One of my Sq M8's runs it and is working on profile set ups. My question is,is the X52 all it's cracked up to be? How much HOTAS control I'm I going to have? Ex. trim,prop pitch,throttle,(throttle of course is a gimmie),flaps fully adjustable (notch).Or I'm I stuck with take off, combat, landing?
I know it will be an upgrade to my Microsoft sidewinder. Most of my commands are via the keyboard with that.And with the X52 can I just about put the keyboard away?
CH products are a little out of my range right now,or I'd be really looking in to them.
My wife thinks I fly too much now (lol)without that price tag showin' up.
Any input would be great.

Thanks
BSS_Seca

knightflyte
12-27-2005, 02:54 PM
I have an X45. It's the predecessor to the X52.
You CAN put away your keyboard if you map all the commands to the X52.

This inturn (at least for me) increases the immersion of the flight sim.

It's also reasonably priced.

If money is a REAL problem check out Saitek's website for reconditioned models of the X52 and X45.

BSS_SECA
12-27-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks for the reply Knightflyte,
I looked into there Recon sticks but the X52 is out of stock right now. The $130.00 US is not bad compaired to CH's complete set up hitting close to $600. US
Seca

dbillo
12-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Seca, when you first get it, it seems like there is an endless supply of buttons and hats, but...you know how it goes, eh?

To answer your questions, there are enough doodads on the stick to do everything you have listed. There's a slider on the throttle which you can use for infinitely variable flaps or prop pitch. There are two rotaries and a scroll wheel for trim controls or whatever, mini-mouse, three hat switches (which can be programmed as hat or mouse), plenty of buttons.

With 3 programmed modes, plus pinkie-shift for each, well, you can hardly run out of places to put things, but whether you will find them all convenient or intuitive is another matter. There's always a tradoff to be made. I find the pinkie-shift a little awkward to use, and there are still certain things I leave on the keyboard... anything where a real pilot would have to reach for a panel switch or lever...like G for landing gear, or I for start engine.

If you don't have Track-IR, the big thing will be to set up view controls that are handy and easy to use. I have one of the hats on the stick for pan views and the mini-mouse works as a mouse for fine adjustment of view. I use the scroll wheel for zoom in and out, and clicking the scroll wheel toggles gunsight view. Tully has the same stick and I think he does things a little differently.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

foxyboy1964
12-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, the X52 is all its supposed to be. I got one two months ago and it has made a BIG difference to my enjoyment of the game. As you said, the throttle is a given, but there are also 3 other "rotary" switches which can be used for trim etc. Two of the switches are dials and one is a sliding switch. Another good point is the mouse emulator. This allows you to nominate a POV switch as mouse and really helps to keep a bandit in view (if, like me, you dont have Trackir). All that remains to be seen now is how long it will last.

buglord
12-27-2005, 03:53 PM
BSS_Seca if you do get a x52 make sure the serial is below 252000 ive had two now & both have had to go back because the rotary buttons are dodgy theres been a lot of posts about this all the sticks below that serial number have defective micro switches on them the ones above that serial are fine according to peoples posts on the subject. hope that helps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
HAPPY NEW YEAR.

BSS_SECA
12-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Thanks again to all.
I think ya talked me into it.
And just my personal input, Trackir is worth the cash.I have the Track IR 3Pro w/vector expansion,even tho it's not supported in IL2. When BoB hits the shelf I'm good to go.

Bearcat99
12-27-2005, 04:26 PM
If Saitek came out with an X-61.. a FFB X-52.. they would totally dominate the lower end market.

redfeathers1948
12-27-2005, 08:35 PM
X-52 is as good a way to go as any sir.I have one and have gotten excelant service from Saitek USA. As for the wife part I am sure it is something a lot of us must bare. I just blame Oleg and move on. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

BuzzU
12-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by BSS_SECA:
I looked into there Recon sticks but the X52 is out of stock right now. The $130.00 US is not bad compaired to CH's complete set up hitting close to $600. US
Seca

Whoa there buddy! I'm not going to talk you out of the X-52, but you're a bit off on the CH setup.

The Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals are a hair under $300.

Freelancer-1
12-27-2005, 10:54 PM
S~ All

I'm looking into the X52.One of my Sq M8's runs it and is working on profile set ups. My question is,is the X52 all it's cracked up to be? How much HOTAS control I'm I going to have? Ex. trim,prop pitch,throttle,(throttle of course is a gimmie),flaps fully adjustable (notch).Or I'm I stuck with take off, combat, landing?
I know it will be an upgrade to my Microsoft sidewinder. Most of my commands are via the keyboard with that.And with the X52 can I just about put the keyboard away?
CH products are a little out of my range right now,or I'd be really looking in to them.
My wife thinks I fly too much now (lol)without that price tag showin' up.
Any input would be great.

Thanks
BSS_Seca

For FB you can pretty much map everything you need. And then some.

Here is a copy of my mapping so far. All the little boxes with the shortcut arrows are unmapped. As you can see there is a lot of room left.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/Freelancer1/Misc/01.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/Freelancer1/Misc/02.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/Freelancer1/Misc/03.jpg

All the HOTAS stuff is mapped in game.

I highly recomend one of these, Pedals and a TrackIR.

1.JaVA_Hornet
12-28-2005, 03:04 AM
But before you buy a saitek x52 look
at the forum of them.
There are many messages about a deadzone
under a certain serial number (dont know
the nr now because i am at work.) So watch
out for that.
I have also one with a deadzone. Therefor
i bought a ch fighterstick.

So i fly with
- Saitek throttle
- ch fighterstick
- saitek joystick for other buttons.
- trackir 3pro
- ch pedals

Tully__
12-28-2005, 07:30 PM
I have one. Good HOTAS, easily programmed. As has already been mentioned, there are two rotaries and a slider for extra axis functions and you can do mouse emulation (by default on the mouse controll ministick on the throttle but it can be assigned to any hat).

IIRC you can program up to 256 controls (there are more button combinations but I don't think the software will store more than that). That's ample for any prop sim and even adequate for sims like LOMAC and Falcon 4.0 where complex avionics and weapon control systems are fully modelled. I have pretty much all airframe and flight controls mapped to the stick except engine start and only a few of the rarely used view controls left on keyboard.

VW-IceFire
12-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Well this is positive...my Sidewinder is about to kick the bucket (buttons are dying at a rate of 1 every two weeks) so this looks like the right sort of thing!

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Seca

Your off on your prices bud. As mentioned you can get the CH setup for 300 bucks. As for the X-52 you can have for $96.99. So save some money and shop from newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826102507

BSS_SECA
12-29-2005, 07:51 PM
S~ again,

Tully as always your input ranks right up there. And thanks again for your wisdome.
VMF-214_HaVoK,much thanks! just ordered it via newegg. Extra 40 bucks I can put to use with my computer.

Thanks again
BSS_Seca

bluedragon1950
01-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Saitek X52's Ministick: how do I map the ministick button to the mouse? Thx in advance.

Lucius_Esox
01-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I've just gone from a FF2 to an X52, as has one of my Squadmates. I have one that doesn't have a deadzone problem but it still is not as....... precise as my old FF2.

The HOTAS is great and once I take off I don't have to touch the keyboard again and I just use the ingame key setup, enough keyes for hands off flying in all fighters.

Has changed the way I fly though. Much less snapshots and a much more considered approach needed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LuftWulf190
01-05-2006, 12:18 PM
So far I have tried my X52 I got for CHristmas on CFS2. And Boy am I impressed! I was able to map the mix and prop controls to the rotaries on the throttle control, and for the most part I have everything mapped to the point where I can fly with out the need of my keyboard. I would highly recoment this set up for the serious flight simmer!

I was able to get my X-52 for CHristmas for just $96 including tax. Best Buy had a great sale on them, they were going like hot cakes!

But soming a close second to my favorite stick is the MS Sidewinder PP series, I had both the first and second, and they were, and are fantastic joy sticks. They could stand up to alot of punishment and were alwasy calibrated well. Too bad MS stopped making them, they really had a first class joy stick for a first class price.

bluedragon1950
01-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 1.JaVA_Hornet:
But before you buy a saitek x52 look
at the forum of them.
There are many messages about a deadzone
under a certain serial number (dont know
the nr now because i am at work.) So watch
out for that.
I have also one with a deadzone. Therefor
i bought a ch fighterstick.

So i fly with
- Saitek throttle
- ch fighterstick
- saitek joystick for other buttons.
- trackir 3pro
- ch pedals

The only device you're mising is the INTRUDER EARLY WARNING RADAR DETECTOR from Saitek