PDA

View Full Version : no ships

panzer343
09-24-2006, 08:34 AM
i have started a 10 day patrol from St. Nazaire but have not found more merchants ships than one C2 and a small merchant. However i had the luck to be attacked by destroyers out of the heavy fog and rain more than 3 times during my trip around ireland from Liverpool and other cities in North west England. only 10,000 tons for patrol.

Grrbob25
09-24-2006, 12:16 PM
well, since this is your first post: Welcome Aboard!

Anyways, on the naviagtion map, little red icons will pop up every now and then, telling you a targets course, speed, and time the mark poped up, obviously, all those little marks are ships, but by the time you get to where the icon is, they'll most likley be gone, so you have to go alittle head of the mark, not alot though because most merchants move slow. I'm guessing your in the 7th Flotilla, so you'll have a Type VII, so you should have enough range to adventure into the Atlantic, there you will find Convoys! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

By the way, try not to venture too close to the english coast......those DD's can be a pain

Realjambo
09-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Panzer!

during my trip around ireland from Liverpool and other cities in North west England

Try grid square AM53, a bottleneck for convoys and merchants entering and exiting ports like Liverpool. Persitence my friend is the key!

Are you diving regularly to do Sonar checks?, and of course, everything Grrbob25 says too.

panzer343
09-24-2006, 01:15 PM
thanks everyone but they seem to just disappear

Realjambo
09-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Ok, gonna throw some questions at you here, hopefully we'll crack this:

When you get a contact report what do you do? I.E. do you surface and run flank speed towards it, or where you think it'll be given that it's moving?

How far away are these contacts that you go for? 2, 3, 5, 10, 20+ km's away?

Do you have (I'm not patronising you here, just exploring possibilities) the hydrophones manned? a good practise is to submerge regularly, ideally below 25ft and run a hydrophone check. Are you ordering hydrophone sweeps each time you submerge?

Are you using Time Compression? you might something, perhaps.

When on the surface, what 'quality' of a watch crew do you have - is it a mix of officers and ratings, are any of them qualified as watch crew?

panzer343
09-24-2006, 03:03 PM
yes i am using time compression. I go for contacts that are 20 km's away
i surface and go flankspeed a little in front of the contact and make my way back toward where it was last seen. my watch officers are not very skilled everything on basic except for a sub-lieutant that is watchman trained

Big_Daddy_2006
09-24-2006, 07:53 PM
K let me share my technique for intercepting single merchants/convoys. First hit backspace twice to kill time compression,then look at the contact to check its speed ei. slow med stationary. then using the ruler tool,draw a line starting at the end of the contacts tail(the line showing the contacts direction)thru the contact and out maybe 35-50 km for a single about 20km away or a couple hundred kms for a convoy a couple grids away.then draw a line from your position till it intersects the line from the contact
with a distance of about 1.5 times the distance the contact will travel to get to the same point.set speed as follows;
slow-ahead standard
med- ahead full
convoy intercept-flank, get there early,submerge and be facing the right way waiting.
hope this helps some.

mnordby
09-24-2006, 09:03 PM
To extend what Big Daddy just said, once you've plotted the contact's approx. course, and know the distince you'll have to travel to the intersect point, you can figure your course and speed to get there at least 20km ahead of him. For instance, if it's a slow moving ship, figure it's doing 6 or 7kts. If you're going 12 kts., and it's 20km to the intersect point, your contact will have gone about 10km along his course by the time you reach intersect. Once I know that, I draw a box 3km on either side of the contact's course, and plot a zigzag course within that box going towards it. Submerging as soon as you get into the box for a hydrophone check is a good idea, because if you get a contact you can refine the contacts actual course. Proceed along the zigzag until you get a visual, making hydrophone checks as needed.

arhoolie
09-25-2006, 09:31 AM
In my first campaign I did 14 patrols no problem and then on my 15th could hardly find a merchant. I was sure something was wrong, but then on the 16th patrol there were plenty of them around again. Go figure...