PDA

View Full Version : Pan, Snap or Mouse Views. What do you use.

Chris0382
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Ive been experimenting with the views since I have 2-8 way hats 16 buttons (non shifted) at my disposal. I like Mouse view best but you can't use it with the minimap on. I like Pan but you have to do multiple presses. I like snap but there are near 20 or so possilities. The POV doesnt work to well with my setup for some reason.

Ideally it would be nice if I could pan continuously without multiple presses and freeze the pan with the press of another button.

Besides TIR-4 etc whats a good way or your favorite way to utilize the view commands for 1946.

Right now Im snapping 16 of the views. I cant get the best of all worlds.

horseback
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
I used a CH HOTAS setup for a long while with the POV hat on the Throttle as my prime selector. I found that if I selected Look Up or Look Down at the same time I selected a view direction with the POV hat, my line of sight would be raised or lowered 45 degrees in the direction selected.

I bound those commands to the two buttons on the Throttle that lined up with the two middle fingers of my throttle hand, and found that with a bit of practice, I could track the whole visible sky from within the cockpit in Wide field of view using the Snap mode.

So, instead of 16 buttons, I used 10 to direct my views before I got TIR and discovered True Situational Awareness.

cheers

horseback

Jaws2002
05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Go to airwarfare.com and download "new view" or FB View Plus".

This two uttilities combine your views and offer a great improvement over the in game views. They also increases your field of view quite a bit.

Before I got my trackIR4, five months ago, I used "FB View Plus" on four eight way hat switches on my stick and throtle.
It worked quite good for me. Give them a try. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_viewplus.htm

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_newview.htm

Huxley_S
05-21-2007, 09:06 PM
New View allows your line of sight to follow your joystick movements... i.e. pull back on the stick and you look up a bit. It's very smooth and gives non-TrackIR users a taste of what TrackIR brings to the game, while at the same time being a very useful tool for looking around with the hatswitch.

Like many otherwise brilliant user-made mods it isn't the most user friendly of things to set up, but if you follow the instructions it works well.

There's a link to it on the cam2pan page but you don't need cam2pan to use it. Personally I never got good results with cam2pan and wouldn't recommend it unless you have a very good webcam.

http://www.mousevision.com/game/html/newView.htm

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Track IR

hejbrigade
05-22-2007, 06:20 AM
TrackIR4 PRO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

LEXX_Luthor
05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Mouse here. But, when I played FB/PF, I was using higher mouse speeds than default. This can be set in one of the game control menus. The game's default mouse speed/sensitivity setting is like 1.0 or 2.0 or something. Max possible is 10.0, which gives lightning response and you can pan the whole sky with minimal wrist movement. However, exiting the mission and then working in FMB was tragic, with the mouse flying uncontrollably all over the place. I settled with a great compromise -- 5.0.

major_setback
05-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm not so good with the hat-switch. TrackIR users have a real advantage when tracing an enemy, I don't have that privilege.

I use the snap view. I just can't work the hat-switch without it.

I use padlock whenever possible, which I think mimics you locking your view onto an enemy quite well. I have it set to temporarily disengage when I press a joystick button.

ShrikeHawk
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
I use the mouse with the mouse speed cranked up a bit to 3.0.

I like this better because I can leave the view focused on one sector without having to maintain it. If I need to get back to the front view quickly, I can use the mouse or give a quick "look up" and release to return to the default front view.

It took a bit of practice to get used to it. But now I'm able to easily keep track of bandits streaking across my field of view while simultaneously keeping track of "the ball" and my orientation to the horizon. At this point I don't feel a need to buy any of the pricier joysticks out there because this is working well for me.

Although, TrackIR looks interesting. I'll just save my money for now.

hi_stik
05-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I use the thumb ministick on the CH Throttle, in mouse emulation mode. I can smoothly roll the view around just I'm using the mouse, whilst not moving my hand from the throttle. I also have one button on the throttle mapped to "look forward" (or whatever it's called), as it snaps the view right back to looking straight ahead through the gunsight. I feel it's every bit as good as TrackIR, since the speed at which I look around is very much under my control. I can slowly track a guy while lining him up, or I can swoosh my virtual head around at rapid speed, even faster than the hat-using-guys can.

Hoatee
05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Horseback has the same pre-TIR method I use. You need to look around all the time and fly and never let go of the stick.

For purposes other than virtual combat, a more relaxed and/or alternate method might be more acceptable.

BSS_Sniper
05-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I use a pencil taped to a hat and then taped to the mouse because I couldn't buy trackir. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DKoor
05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by hi_stik:
I use the thumb ministick on the CH Throttle, in mouse emulation mode. I can smoothly roll the view around just I'm using the mouse, whilst not moving my hand from the throttle. I also have one button on the throttle mapped to "look forward" (or whatever it's called), as it snaps the view right back to looking straight ahead through the gunsight. I feel it's every bit as good as TrackIR, since the speed at which I look around is very much under my control. I can slowly track a guy while lining him up, or I can swoosh my virtual head around at rapid speed, even faster than the hat-using-guys can. I'm using the same method.

I don't know how you can accelerate/decelerate view speed or is this even possible, my view speed can have only one speed.... but I can set it on my wish tho.

Also have look forward mapped key.
It works really good and is a notch below TiR pretty much because of the fact that they can free their thumbs....

But this is for sure the best non-TiR way to look around because with snap views I almost constantly must press some key combo not to mention hold the thumbHAT if I wanna check my 6 etc..

With this "mouse view" you get much more relaxed approach.

But TiR is the way to go and if some of you guys can get it, get it ASAP.

Huxley_S
05-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't know how you can accelerate/decelerate view speed or is this even possible, my view speed can have only one speed.... but I can set it on my wish tho.

NewView allows you to do exactly that, like you can set the response curves on a joystick, so that you have more precision at first and the view speed accelerates as you hold down the hatswitch in order to look over your shoulder for example. It's very effective.

DKoor
05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Yes I know that can be EXTREMELY useful.... although I never used it (I have constant speed).
To set speeds to around average/high, and have nice slow tracking while you have bandit on 12 o c.

When there is close fight about, fast views can save our virtual life. But then again, only fast + controlled ones.

Philipscdrw
05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I used a 7-way hat in Pan mode. (Yep, 7-way, Down-Left had broken. And it was a CH product too! Shock!) I think it worked OK, but I've been using TrackIR for the last six months. I think I'll finally relegate the hatswitch to engine controls...

badatit
05-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I always used snap with other sims, and was quite comfortable with it. But with IL2, I could never get it setup to my liking...enter track ir...track ir is the best option...if somthing where to happen to my original track ir, I'd definitly look into this
http://www.sci-spot.com/Electronic/headmouse.htm
before replacing it.

M_Gunz
05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I miss smooth hat panning. Tried Mousekeys for a while. With New View I wasn't so happy
with eyes connected to stick all the time. Now I'll try the FB View cause I have wanted
smooth panning for a long time now.

Bewolf
05-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Using a mix of snap view and the little mousemulator on my X52 Throttle. Not the best of solutions, but better then nothing I suppose.

LEXX_Luthor
05-23-2007, 12:19 AM
ShrikeHawk::
I use the mouse with the mouse speed cranked up a bit to 3.0.

I like this better because I can leave the view focused on one sector without having to maintain it. If I need to get back to the front view quickly, I can use the mouse or give a quick "look up" and release to return to the default front view.
AwSim.

This works best for mee too, as it leaves the joystick hat open for controlling visual zoom/FOV. I make a point of not buying any "flight sim" paraphanalia, although I had to cave in and get working class rudder pedals in the form of racing wheel, with the wheel bagged up under the desk. Shucks, I bagg the pedals too, to prevent dust from getting inside.

FrenziedAU
05-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I use a hat switch on an X52 set to mouse emulation mode to pan the view around, and I also have another button (up and down on the throttle hat switch) set to snap view foward.
I find it works very well, I can pan the view around to find stuff, but instantly return to looking foward to see where I'm going, what I'm shooting at, reorient, etc.

hi_stik
05-23-2007, 10:30 AM
FOR you CH users, check this thread, it's how to adjust the mouse speed...

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4623

it takes just a second, and you can make the ministick go FAST

Right now, I believe I've adjusted the number to 175, which might be a little TOO fast...but it moves faster than any hat direction, or the keyboard method.

Chris0382
05-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree with using the mouse. I got the mouse working well. But one question.

Is there a setting I can make to allow mouse viewing while the minimap is present? I hate toggels and would suggest making the game to have specific commands to turn on and off certain items like minimap or gear. Like the flaps commands.

I could then set the minimap off on a press of the hat swithc and bind the mouse panning to it also.

ShrikeHawk
05-23-2007, 06:53 PM
When I have the minimap open, I've found that the snap view is sufficient. If I open the minimap, it's because I am not currently engaged and am very sure I won't be engaged any time soon (I've checked my 6 o'clock six ways from Sunday, hehehe).

At that point, I'm not worried about changing the view around accurately or quickly. It's okay with me that the minimap disables viewing with the mouse. Snap view is good enough then and will work with the minimap open.

Lately, I'm using the minimap as little as possible. I look at it long enough to identify a course and landmarks, and then try to navigate home from the cockpit only. It's an adventure most of the time, hehehe.

Chris0382
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
ShrikeHawk
Gosh ShrikeHawk the AI planes covers each others butt to much for me not to need a minimap.

WillEyedOney
05-24-2007, 03:43 AM
I have installed Newview and given it a try, not sure if it's any use yet though. The only problem I have is that now when I use the pov hat the view won't re-centre and I really really hate that.

ShrikeHawk
05-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Gosh ShrikeHawk the AI planes covers each others butt to much

Yeah, they are good at that aren't they? That's why your attack method should be to swoop in, shoot, get the kill, and boogie out of the area as fast as you can. This was Erich Hartmann's method and it worked pretty well for him (352 kills). This way, your target should be going down in flames before his support gets there to help.

This is a lot easier said than done. I'm still working at it. But the more I practice the better I get at it. More and more often I'm bringing my bird home with lots of kills and a completely untouched paintjob, hehehe.

Also, don't forget to use your mirrors when they are available.

Cheers!

Chris0382
05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
The problem there is it takes a long time to catch up to an enemy and by then his wingman is on my tail.When I have a minimap I can see this and then I can roll out of the way. But this requires having the minimap on at the time of engagement.

You are saying I think that I need to swoop shoot and climb and swoop shoot and climb. I tell ya the AI climbs pretty good too.

Huxley_S
05-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by WillEyedOney:
I have installed Newview and given it a try, not sure if it's any use yet though. The only problem I have is that now when I use the pov hat the view won't re-centre and I really really hate that.

You need to map a button on your joystick to centre the view (in NewView not the IL2 Controls). You will also need a button (on the keyboard or stick that toggles NewView on or off, for targeting)

There is a NewView setup guide on this page.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_newview.htm

You will need to experiment a bit but the main things you should get are:

1. Your head moves slightly with joystick movements.

2. Pressing a mapped button on your joystick returns your view to the centre.

3. Using the hatswitch gives a smooth movement with variable acceleration.