PDA

View Full Version : Spin Recovery In P39

Freelancer-1
04-03-2005, 11:07 PM
I know the best thing to do is not spin it, but as I like to "Push the envelope" I thought I'd give it a shot.

If I tail slide at 10,000 meters I can usually recover in 1000M if I break in under two rotations.

But let it spin more than three or four rotations and it takes about 6000m to recover (if at all). The best recovery method I've found is to drop the flaps, pull power back to zero, prop pitch to zero, hands off stick and opposite rudder. Now, if I'm lucky, the nose will start to drop and the air speed will increase from around 40 to about 100. Ease the stick forward and ease up the power. Again, if luck holds I get a transition to a nose dive and can recover easily.

I guess what I'm wondering is should I just bail if I find myself in a flat spin or is there a way to recover that I havn't found in my bumbling trial and error attempts?

Thanks for any advice

Freelancer-1
04-03-2005, 11:07 PM
I know the best thing to do is not spin it, but as I like to "Push the envelope" I thought I'd give it a shot.

If I tail slide at 10,000 meters I can usually recover in 1000M if I break in under two rotations.

But let it spin more than three or four rotations and it takes about 6000m to recover (if at all). The best recovery method I've found is to drop the flaps, pull power back to zero, prop pitch to zero, hands off stick and opposite rudder. Now, if I'm lucky, the nose will start to drop and the air speed will increase from around 40 to about 100. Ease the stick forward and ease up the power. Again, if luck holds I get a transition to a nose dive and can recover easily.

I guess what I'm wondering is should I just bail if I find myself in a flat spin or is there a way to recover that I havn't found in my bumbling trial and error attempts?

Thanks for any advice

ImpStarDuece
04-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Only thing that I have found that you are not already doing is to try dropping the throttle to 0 and then firewalling the engine. If that doesn't work THEN go an do the 0 prop pitch thing (which I have never tried but will as soon as I get off work).

When you go from 0 to full power the change in tourque can often help snapping the cobra out of one of its patented spins. I haven't really flown the P-39 much in 3.04 apart from a few flutters online, but it used to work reasonably well in 2.04

CivilDog will probably be along to correct my heinous errors soon enough, but it seems to work for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

civildog
04-04-2005, 01:17 AM
My ears were burning! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Here's the dope:

Other than pray for a miracle, you can get a Cobra out of it's patented flatspin one of two ways, but even they don't work all the time. A flat spin is pretty much time to bail unless you have at least 3000m under you. And I do mean at least.

First you need to recognise if you are spinning fast or slow. Often the Cobra will do both, alternating fast/slow as it tries to make up it's mind on how to kill you. Each requires a completely different technique both require that you first chop the throttle.

If you are spinning slowly push the stick full forward and kick the rudder against the spin.

If you are spinning fast then pull the stick back and kick the rudder into the rotation.

As you slow and the plane straightens out SLOWLY give it the gas while GENTLY levelling her out. Don't use the flaps or yank the stick or you are going to go into another spin and you definitely won't have the altitude to recover from it.

If it's a fast spin then you might have to transition to a slow recovery technique once the plane starts slowing down.

You will typically need at least 2000m for the plane to even start to recover from most of these spins. You'll need another 500m or so to pull her level.

Since the Cobras (except the P-63, they don't call it King for nothing) are at their best at 3000m or less most flatspins are best handled by a bailout. Get out ASAP and recover your pilot. If it's a fast spin you might not even get out in time.

Practice makes perfect, though, and it's handy to know how to do it even if the plane won't cooperate all the time. It's a lot to remember, and it's counter to standard spin recovery but the beauty of this game is that you can just set it up in QMB and practice all you want without getting airsick.

Freelancer-1
04-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Don't tell me about not getting airsick until you've tried spinning down from 10,000m over and over and... OVER for an hour and a half.

But seriously, thanks for the tips guys

zetareticulan
04-04-2005, 01:31 AM
That was a <span class="ev_code_RED">real</span> education! Thanks Y'all: firewall and torque. well well well, I never would have, not in a month of 'em.

Grue_
04-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Wait until v4.0 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

F19_Ob
04-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Hello Freelancer....
Since U like the p39 U might already know that its very unstable when altering directions quickly in slow speeds.
Thats why experienced bf109 pilots try to scissor as slowly as possible because the 109 recovers easily from a stall but the p39 has a more difficult time and may enter a spinn.
If turning in one direction only no 109 can follow and the risk to stall is less.

I flew both the p39 and 109 frequently and with this in mind one are better off.
The p40 has about same above characteristics but not to the extent as the p39...
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
04-04-2005, 05:52 AM
If you can't catch it on the first couple of spins, power off, opposite rudder, neutral stick, flaps full down AND GEAR DOWN.

The front wheel works to break the spin. Do not gear down in a tail dragger plane as it will just make it worse.