PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Issues

Reader1972
07-03-2009, 11:04 PM
First of all, I think the game is fantastic. Loved the original, and this is even better. Quality all around.

Just want to get this off my chest:

The Navajo and Apache are plains, Athabascan and Pacific NW all rolled into one? LOL. Come on! The action, gameplay and graphics are quite immersive, but every time I see a fricken totem pole in Arizona I am jolted back to reality. :-P

Developers/writers did a super job of making the religious dialogue much more coherent, relevant and appropriate (granted Ray is a bit of a lune, so maybe some of that was intentional in the first installment). So, we know it is not a lack of desire or ability to portray cultural aspects accurately. The guy in charge of Native American/First Nations cultural aspects...well, clearly, there was nobody in charge of that.

CommieRed1975
07-04-2009, 03:26 AM
I know what you mean but when you consider that it is a POLISH game, it is a wonder they got as much of the 'spirit' of the time right as they did. I like how Ray and Thomas aren't saints and you have the mention of slaves and Barnsby shows his racism and even William calls the Native Americans 'savages' so there isn't the PC that we seem to get in most games.

I think it was for gameplay reasons. They did in fairness make an attempt to put a reason for why the tribes were where they were.

PS. I like the nod to players of the first CoJ with the story of how Running River became Calm Water.

Reader1972
07-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I concur. The story (and the game) has an authentic feel all around, if one doesn't think too deeply about it. I really give them props for that. Which is why, for me, the Native stuff sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb.

The whole discussion has me wondering what the game would be like if the crosshairs and concentration mode-type stuff could be toggled off. I don't think those things ruin the game, by a long shot either. Just a thought.