PDA

View Full Version : It's time to get the collision model right

GR142-Pipper
09-08-2006, 03:38 AM
I realize that this topic has been discussed before but if the game is to be significantly upgraded in BoB as has been put forth, then it's time that the collision model be made right (actually, this issue should have been addressed long ago). When REAL planes collide, it nearly always takes both aircraft down. The current collision model isn't even remotely representative of the real world. This would be a good area to improve upon that is outside of the usual flight/damage/weapons modeling discussion areas.

GR142-Pipper

KG26_Alpha
09-08-2006, 03:49 AM
It was that way where both planes were taken out, also you could "nibble" the tail of transports with your prop some version way back when.

IIRC the collision damage was put into effect as we now have from the inane DF servers whining "he rammed me on purpose" type pilots.

It was and should be if you ram or get rammed both planes go in, only in certain circumstances and aircraft you can chew off wings or rudders if done right in the version we have v4.05m .

So certainly bring back the old collision DM.

Xiolablu3
09-08-2006, 03:50 AM
Thats wierd, normally when I collide with anything, both planes go down.

Only if we just touch each other, sometimes I loose a tail pice and he looses something worse, or maybe vice versa.

Seems pretty realistic to me, after all sometimes the planes are only travelling at 30-50kph difference in speeds. Especially if they are both travelling in the same direction.

There was even a plane developed by the Germans for Ramming B17's, it was intended that the Pilot survived, so it cant have been fatal every time.

Ramming was common and often pilots survived multiple rams :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramming

'Nine rammings took place on the very first day of German invasion to the Soviet Union. About 200 (some estimates give the number closer to 500) taran attacks were made by Soviets between the beginning of Operation Barbarossa and the middle of 1943 when enough modern aircraft had been produced to make the tactic obsolete, even if Russian fighter pilots still are trained to perform it. Lieutenant Boris Kovzan survived the record of four ramming attacks in the war. Alexander Khlobytsev made three. Seventeen other Soviet pilots were credited with two successful ramming attacks.'

WHat effect are you seeing which you think is wrong?

KG26_Alpha
09-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Surviving the Taran was to bail out !!!

IL2 collision dm is from direct 6 the rammer is killed and you fly on untouched usually.

Xiolablu3
09-08-2006, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by KG26_Alpha:
Surviving the Taran was to bail out !!!

IL2 collision dm is from direct 6 the rammer is killed and you fly on untouched usually.

Lol I wish this happened to me more, I never seem to survive a ram.

In fact just last night I crashed into a 109 slowly and we both blew up. Surviving a ram is not very common for me.

han freak solo
09-08-2006, 10:00 AM
If y'all don't like the collision model of IL2, try BOB:WOVII for a bit.

Midair: You craft comes within perhaps 25 feet of another and you are destroyed, unable to bail out.

Ground: You dip a wing on take off or landing, you craft is intact, but you die anyway.

You'll come running back to IL2 with open arms and lotsa love. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

WOLFMondo
09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I love collisions. P38 vs those little ickle Japanese fighters. P38 always wins.

LEBillfish
09-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Not sure I get this as I see a whole range of results from a collision.....Some result in both going down, some just one or the other, some neither........Depends on where each plane is hit from my experience. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif What I'd think you are seeing are uncontrollable anomalies due to packet loss and the like...Just a guess, I'm just not seeing it except on rare occasions.

rnzoli
09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
i also have the feeling, from seeing a number of collisions ending with rather varying results, that there is no such thing as generic 'collision model' in IL2

it's DM vs. DM

LEBillfish
09-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
i also have the feeling, from seeing a number of collisions ending with rather varying results, that there is no such thing as generic 'collision model' in IL2

it's DM vs. DM

I don't even agree that it's DM vs. DM, as though one is a tank and the other not.....I believe it's more a matter of where each is hit and the resulting damage there.....Odd results being with lag when you don't see it the same as the sim believes it happens, or other odd issues that don't quite get the damage to the other guy.

HOWEVER, never base it on a "believed" collision if one was firing. I've quite often seen where a guy is firing, missing, then hits the plane and it explodes or disintegrates.....Truth is most likely it did before he passed through the pieces....Lag just makes it look the other way.

T_O_A_D
09-08-2006, 05:02 PM
All I know is I have not really changed my style of flying but this last patch I get alot more collisions than ever.

vocatx
09-08-2006, 05:10 PM
One of the strangest things I've ever had happen occurred about a year ago. I was fighting(formerly BM357) Faust. He was in a Hellcat, I was in a Ki-84. We both zoomed up in a climb and ran out of "E" at the same time. Our planes actually bumped against each other (audibly...we both heard it), drifted apart and we both flew on with NO DAMAGE. There were witnesses to the fight as well, but unfortunately no one was running a track. Never seen this before or since.

I agree that the damage modeling leaves something to be desired, but it's a lot better than in CFS 3. I don't think we'll be seeing anything changed in FB/PF; we can only hope that SOW has more complex modeling. I can live with what we've got for now.

GR142-Pipper
09-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:
I agree that the damage modeling leaves something to be desired, but it's a lot better than in CFS 3. I don't think we'll be seeing anything changed in FB/PF; we can only hope that SOW has more complex modeling. I can live with what we've got for now. The issue that I'm trying to underline is that this game's damage model is not just a little unrealistic, it's a LOT unrealistic. I fully agree with you that it's really a "must fix" for BoB.

GR142-Pipper

SeaFireLIV
09-10-2006, 03:31 AM
I`ve never found IL2/FB collisions as bad at all. I`ve always been quite impressed. i`ve taraned a bomber and bailed. I`ve flown right up to a bomber and broken my wing on its and taken it down. I even accidentally clipped a bomber, stopping my prop but still flying. Are you sure some of you guys are not just going into your taret too hard and afast?

BOBwov`s collison detection is must worse, though you tweak the hit boxes to lessen it. Even so, don`t expect to go wingtip to wingtip with anything and survive unless you turn collisions off. In IL2 you can go wingtip to wingtip.

Or maybe you mean ONLINE? Yes, online the collison has some problems with very close fighter contact