PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 Sturmovik Newbie Map Reading

beckwitm
08-11-2011, 09:49 AM
As a newbie to IL-2, but not to flight sims in general, I find myself rather confused by the map function icons. I can take off just fine and fly around, but where am I supposed to go?

On the map I can see white planes, blue planes, Squares with a T on them, yellow circles joined by black lines etc but the manual gives me no clue about which aircraft is me and what these symbols mean.

I have searched this forum but have not found the answer. Perhaps I am just thick, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

TheCrux
08-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Quick and dirty, so you can fly as you learn ( by reading the "read me" manual ) Look for it in your game files.

White plane = Your plane

Blue planes = Axis

Red Planes = Allied

Note which side you're flying for to know who is friend and who is foe.

Black lines connected by dots represent your route, in this case game generated for a quick combat or single mission. The dots represent waypoints: A point on the map where an action is going to take place ( a change of heading and/or speed and/or altitude )

The Yellow squares with an aircraft either in a nose up or nose down configuration represent the take-off or landing waypoint...many times on the same location.

Yellow triangles represent the ground target

Map grids are 10 kilometers each

Now this all assumes you have all the icons on, which you apparrently do Full real selected has none of these and you must navigate by studying the map features and by compass heading.

Bearcat99
08-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by TheCrux:
Quick and dirty, so you can fly as you learn ( by reading the "read me" manual.

White plane = Your plane

Blue planes = Axis

Red Planes = Allied

Note which side you're flying for to know who is friend and who is foe.

Black lines connected by dots represent your route, in this case game generated for a quick combat or single mission. The dots represent waypoints: A point on the map where an action is going to take place ( heading and/or speed and/or altitude )

The Yellow squares with an aircraft either in a nose up or nose down configuration represent the take-off or landing waypoint...many times on the same location.

Yellow triangles represent the ground target

Map grids are 10 kilometers each

Now this all assumes you have all the icons on, which you apparrently do Full real selected has none of these and you must navigate by studying the map features and by compass heading.

This about sums it up. also many servers have the minimap on them so you can see your plane but no others.. I think the majority are like that.